PDA

View Full Version : What's the best cookware?

DancingWillow
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Most cookware has a non-stick/Teflon coating, which is very toxic for the environment and one's health, so I don't want to use it. Aluminum has been shown to be associated with Alzheimer's, so I don't want to use that either. Is stainless steel OK? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tigerlily
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Cast iron is the best, followed by stainless steel.

Or so I heard. *shrugs*

auntierozzi
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Cast iron is really heavy but the heat distributes very well through it. Iron is also slightly absorbed into your food and this has been recommended as a good way to prevent anaemia. I bought some iron pans recently but apparently they are coated and so I'm not sure whether they are actually doing us any good! Although, I am a champion at scraping off the coating on non-stick articles so it will soon be OK! These iron pans aren't non-stick though. Does anybody know whether or not the iron could be getting through after all?

Pob
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I use stainless steel, and don't use non-stick. I've not seen cast iron cookware that isn't teflon coated.

Ginger
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I have cast iron pans which are enamelled, not non-stick or teflon coated :)

Smoothie
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
copper with an inside layer of stainless steel. it's exepensive, but wonderful

Hemlock
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I like Le Crueset, trouble is I can't lift it off the stove!!!

Ginger
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
He he he :D , same problem here!

Cherry
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Good quality stainless steel ones are my ultimate favourite. Really terrible quality stainless steel ones are my least favourite!

Ginger
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Everything sticks to cheap stainless steel :eek:

Cherry
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Exactly. I used to love the (good quality) stainless steel pans we had at home. My Dad got me some when I went to Uni, but got the cheapest set humanly possible :rolleyes: Everything stuck to them and they ended up buckled :eek: I think they only lasted a year! The original pans I was envious of are still going strong after 20 years.

Ginger
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Good pans are worth saving up for as they last forever. I have a Le Crueset pan that was my mums and is nearly as old as me (but it looks decidedly better :D ) You always end up chucking out the cheap ones.

DancingWillow
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:54 AM
thanks everyone! i have one stainless steel pot/pan that i use for everything now (cooking, frying, steaming), and i've been thinking of getting a set, so i was wondering what i should invest in.

i'm happy with stainless steel (both in function and look), and it actually seems a little too good to be true, because nothing sticks to it, so i was getting suspicious, thinking that it might have some kind of clear non-stick coating.

i looked at the le crueset ones, but they seem to be coated with a non-stick surface...are they, or does it just seem that way? i don't know about the heaviness though:)

and what about bakeware? is cast iron the best for baking as well?

aubergine
Mar 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I get on very well with our Le Creuset Cast Iron, and Meyer Stainless Steel cookware.

The Meyer stuff is very, very good.

vegcurry
Mar 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
We have some glass pans that my mother bought years ago and they're wonderful. I've had no luck in locating any more of them though. They're great at holding the heat in, so when we cook rice we just let it reach the right temperature, put the lid on, turn the heat off and then let it cook in it's own heat.
For frying, we use a stainless steel pan or wok - both non-stick.
For oven we use cast iron trays.

veganlinda
Mar 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I am another le creuset fan. Is v heavy and v expensive and I don't know about the environmental impact but I got mine as it has a lifetime guarantee and I didn't want to keep replacing pans. (Looks good too :) ) Have not tried stainless steel though so can't compare. :D

Poison Ivy
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
We have some glass pans that my mother bought years ago and they're wonderful. I've had no luck in locating any more of them though. They're great at holding the heat in, so when we cook rice we just let it reach the right temperature, put the lid on, turn the heat off and then let it cook in it's own heat.
For frying, we use a stainless steel pan or wok - both non-stick.
For oven we use cast iron trays.

Are they those Amber coloured ones made by Pyrex?? My mum had some of those!!:)

Marrers
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Weren't the glass ones called 'Vision' saucepans? I used to have some (I got a set by saving up Green Shield Stamps when I first left home!)
I burned everything in them so they ruined my cooking confidence for quite a few years . . . until I had the revelation that it was the pans not me when cooked with something else.

Poison Ivy
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Weren't the glass ones called 'Vision' saucepans?

That's the ones!:)

I burned everything in them so they ruined my cooking confidence for quite a few years . . . until I had the revelation that it was the pans not me when cooked with something else.

Yes, I seem to remember that when my mum had these pans there was frequently a burning smell accompanying the cooking of the food....thankfully she did finally tire of them and bought some other pans which weren't quite so prone to burning stuff!:)