Oct 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Ratatouille

(Please continue)....

wuggy
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Bisto gravey powder.

harpy
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Damn, I was going to say ratatouille as well. How about felafels, then?

You could call the thread "crypto-vegan food" but then no-one would probably know what you meant :D

veganblue
Oct 14th, 2004, 01:02 PM
[Can anyone help me find a shorter title for this thread?]:)

erm - "Accidentally Vegan Food?" but I do like the sound of crypto-vegan harpy :)
It's always amusing to watch the expressions of people who know you are vegan, watching you eat something that they think is not vegan and suspect that you don't know what they seem to know. My most recent surprise was Oreo's by Nabisco - a chocolate filled biscuit. Not really a choc fan myself but it is nice to be able to share them with others. Most people like to read the ingredients to check for themselves...

Northern Lights
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Veganblue- oreaos might be vegetarian, but not vegan.

Ingredients
Regular Oreos Ingredients:
Sugar, flour, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, whey, corn starch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate

Mini Oreos Ingredients:
Flour, sugar, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, lactose, high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, whey, corn starch, salt, baking soda, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate

At least they changed the old 'tallow' to 'hydrogenated soybeans oil.'

feline01
Oct 14th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Tapenade/hummus of course/peperonata (a delicious Italian vegetable stew)/minestrone

veganblue
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Veganblue- oreaos might be vegetarian, but not vegan.

Ingredients
Regular Oreos Ingredients:
Sugar, flour, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, whey, corn starch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate

Mini Oreos Ingredients:
Flour, sugar, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, lactose, high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, whey, corn starch, salt, baking soda, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate

At least they changed the old 'tallow' to 'hydrogenated soybeans oil.'

Thanks Northern Lights, but you gave me a start! I think we may have different suppiers of Oreo's - our ingredients read;

Chocolate Creme Oreos
Sugar, wheat flour vegetable shortening (contains antioxidant [319], foodacid [330]), cocoa powder, high fructose syrup, corn starch, raising agents(500,503), salt, emulsifier, soy lecithin), flavour.

A vegan in Melbourne told me about it - not all of their range are vegan tho - there are new nutty ones that aren't vegan. Ours are made in Indonesia by Nabisco licensed to Kraft foods.

Thanks for the check though! :)

Northern Lights
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Good to know you double checked! I hate it when I KNOW something is 'safe' and then they go and change the ingredients on me!

JasperKat
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I have a list of "accidentally vegan" foods from Peta's website that has Uh-Oh Oreos, Spring Oreos, Chocolate Creme Oreos and Mint Creme Oreos on it, but not the regular ones.
-JK

Artichoke47
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:28 PM
So the Americans get the whey and killer hydrogenated oils. Just what we need. It's not like most people care about their health, anyway.

JasperKat
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:40 PM
I was about to reply to Artichoke's post with a rant about how fat and unhealthy most people (in the Midwest at least) are, but then I looked at my computer desk and saw the soy ice cream I just finished and the bag of garlice chips I've been eating while typing and changed my mind.

-JK

i_like_deer
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
peanut butter & jelly sandwiches are 'accidentally vegan'.

Kiva Dancer
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Salsa.

Artichoke47
Oct 15th, 2004, 01:51 AM
I was about to reply to Artichoke's post with a rant about how fat and unhealthy most people (in the Midwest at least) are, but then I looked at my computer desk and saw the soy ice cream I just finished and the bag of garlice chips I've been eating while typing and changed my mind.

-JK

:D At least the soy has nutritional value, eh?

indianvegan
Oct 15th, 2004, 04:19 AM
As I have studied,Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil is a kind of white poison for your health.

Three white poisons for our body :-

1. White Flour

2. White H.Vegetable Oil

3. White Refined Sugar

Manish

indianvegan
Oct 15th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Pumpkin Seeds are one of the World's Healthiest Foods.

Don't forget to save those seeds from your Halloween pumpkin. Not only are they subtly sweet and nutty with a chewy texture, roasted pumpkin seeds are one of the most flavorful and nutritious seeds you can add to your Healthier Way of Eating. One quarter cup provides 58% of your daily value (DV) for magnesium, 34% DV for iron and 21% DV for zinc. And they are easy to pack and fun to eat!------http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=82

Manish

Mystic
Oct 15th, 2004, 06:38 AM
- baked beans on toast
- peanut butter sandwiches
- hummus
- oatmeal (unless cooked with milk)
- yeast spread (marmite/vegemite etc...) on toast (no butter)
- rice cakes/corn thins
- salted nuts
- water crackers
- most breakfast cereals (minus the milk)
- spaghetti with plain tomato sauce
- ketchup
- (in some cases) dark chocolate

tails4wagging
Oct 15th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I went into a veggie restaurant that usually does one vegan dish. The place is very popular for corpse eaters. I was a bit early and a group of elderly women discussed the menu and decided to have the bean goulash, the vegan dish.Time went on and my friend was a bit late. When she arrived the vegan dish was no more, they had ran out, except one portion. My friend ended up having just grilled toms and olives in a salad.
This usually infuriates me as in their innocence they not only pinch the one vegan dish but if they had known previously it was vegan they would have probibly refused it!!.
At least they realised after having heard our plea for the vegan bean goulash.

Mystic
Oct 16th, 2004, 11:21 AM
dhal and rice
corn chips and salsa
nuts and dried fruit
blueberry bagels!
sorbet from this yummy place called trampoline
vitari

foxytina_69
Oct 16th, 2004, 12:12 PM
fries :) (depending on the way theyre cooked!)

Northern Lights
Oct 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM
salad dressings with oil base thus lots of salads
pretzels
foccacia bread with oil /basmatic vinegar (canadian restaurants like this one)
bruchetta without the extra cheese sprinkled on top
fruit salad
soups with a veggie stock base (mushroom often, just not the cream kind)

I think there's LOTS of things that in their base form are vegan. It's the stuff we add to it or put on top that destroy it.

Pasta with tomato sauce
Bread with ....
Rice with ....
Potatotes with ....

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 16th, 2004, 03:21 PM
It's true, Arti. We, with modern science and billions spent on reserach get "franken-foods" and by-products. God Bless America! :(

Silent Vegan food:
Fresh Guacamole!

I say fresh because the frozen and or packaged stuff usually has dairy in it of some sort and even at some restaurants sour cream is mixed in...

tails4wagging
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Manish, Pumpkin seeds are all the rage over here at the moment, thanks to a programme on the TV called 'You are what you eat'. I must admit they are nice and a bit nutty.

celtic rose
Oct 17th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I went into a veggie restaurant that usually does one vegan dish. The place is very popular for corpse eaters. I was a bit early and a group of elderly women discussed the menu and decided to have the bean goulash, the vegan dish.Time went on and my friend was a bit late. When she arrived the vegan dish was no more, they had ran out, except one portion. My friend ended up having just grilled toms and olives in a salad.
This usually infuriates me as in their innocence they not only pinch the one vegan dish but if they had known previously it was vegan they would have probibly refused it!!.
At least they realised after having heard our plea for the vegan bean goulash.

Look on the bright side, the restaurant may increase their vegan range as there is a demand for it.

Kiva Dancer
Oct 19th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Silent Vegan food:
Fresh Guacamole!

I say fresh because the frozen and or packaged stuff usually has dairy in it of some sort and even at some restaurants sour cream is mixed in...
Ah yes! very true!

Guacamole is a wonderful thing when it's not been tainted with bovine breast juice.