PDA

View Full Version : Booja-Booja’s new ‘Stuff in a Tub’ is better than ice cream

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

RachelJune
Jul 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Our local health food store had a dodgy delivery - they missed out the Stuff in a Tub!! :(:(:(

Barley
Jul 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Am I going to be the only dissenter? Yes, it was luxurious, yes it was undoubtedly VERY chocolatey... but it's not really sweet enough for me... arghhh.... sorry. It's rather expensive, so I am going to work on it and try to really like it! Think I will try the others too - my local HFS has the vanilla and the coconut....

Kevster
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Leeds OOTW has some in stock, i saw some there but didn't try it.

RachelJune
Jul 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Leeds OOTW has some in stock, i saw some there but didn't try it.

I just saw it in town today :) I walked right past it in OOTW until Kiran waved it at me! Apparently they've had it in for 2 weeks!!!!

I've just finished about 2/3 of a tub of the Hunky Punky Chocolate one. It's extremely rich and chocolatey - it definately reminds me of the Hagendaas chocolate icecream I used to love back in my pre-vegan days... That's good :D But, at £5 a tub I don't really think it's worth it. I don't think even Haagendaas is that expensive! :eek: And I was kind of expecting chunky bits in there, not just plain chocolate.

And why is that the healthier a product is and the less ingredients it has in it, the more we get ripped off for it!! :mad: The chocolate one comprises of just water, agave, nuts and cocao powder - simple. Now I just need to work out the ratios so I can have a go at making it myself!! :D

[Be warned - The more you eat, the more you want to eat. It is extremely moreish]

gertvegan
Jul 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
Wild Oats will probably sell it alsoCorrection, Wild Oats in Bristol have it in now, but only a few, and no choc flavour.

alisont
Jul 21st, 2007, 09:40 PM
This is so annoying id love to try this but im told its got cashew nuts in and im very intollerant to them:(

Mr Flibble
Jul 21st, 2007, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't worry. All of boojabooja's other products are massively overpriced and not even worth it when half price. We'll probably try this at some point, but I'm not going to make an effort to find it.

Marrers
Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:24 AM
I think it is based on cashews and is similar to the recipes in the Vice Cream book (so you will probably find similar recipes in there RJ).

I had the chocolate one yesterday, there was only one tub left in Planet Organic. I would have prefered another flavour but reckon the chocolate might be harder to get as it will probably sell out most often.

I would describe it as like a really dark and rich chocolate mousse which has been slightly frozen. But it was not very icecream-y. It was very cold and obviously was frozen but somehow it didn't really melt in the mouth like normal icecream, it is a different texture.

I'm not sure I would buy this one regularly but I'm hoping I'll prefer one of the other flavours (and that I can get it within reasonable distance to get it home). Some cost £5.49.

gertvegan
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
The coconut ice cream is good, and tastes familiar. Can't say I'll buy it very often at all though at £5.

cobweb
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
i cannot get over the price - how can that be justifiable for a tiny container? - who wants it at that price? :eek: daylight robbery! :mad:

xwitchymagicx
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
What shops sell it? :confused: The main ones?

RachelJune
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
What shops sell it? :confused: The main ones?

It actually states on the tub "never sold in supermarkets". Our local health food shops are ordering it in. Although Holland & Barrett don't seem to have heard of it :confused:

Witchy, are you anywhere near Nottingham? I think there's an Out Of This World health food shop in Notts, like there is in Leeds. They should sell it. Otherwise I suggest you try asking your local store to order it in - that's what we've done and they promised they'll get some.

Blue moon
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Fresh&Wild Bristol have all flavours now:)

I'm just starting on the coconut one (I'll work my way through the rest no doubt:D)

Basically, it's veeerry coconutty! I imagine you'd get similar results by shoving some raw coconut in a blender and freezing it down. Nice, but not really exceptional, certainly not for the shocking price

harpy
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I bought some of this in Fresh and Wild at Clapham Junction yesterday, put it in the freezer and then forgot to try it :eek: I must be losing the plot.

RedWellies
Jul 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
OMG, Harpy are you ill??? Kevster didn't buy some when he had the chance....the world is going mad!!

harpy
Jul 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I know! If you can't rely on being obsessed with food, what can you rely on?

Herbidacious
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'm just starting on the coconut one (I'll work my way through the rest no doubt:D)

Basically, it's veeerry coconutty! I imagine you'd get similar results by shoving some raw coconut in a blender and freezing it down. Nice, but not really exceptional, certainly not for the shocking price
I'm looking forward to trying the coconut one as I love anything coconutty but the price does seem extreme. Are they the same size tubs as Swedish Glace?

Blue moon
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
no, they're much smaller :(
Same size as Ben & Jerrys I think, about the size of a small Starbucks coffee cup, maybe a bit shorter

Pob
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I thought the price might be down to using coconut oil or something like that - they use that as the solid fat in the truffles. But nope it's more likely the reverse osmosis water - which is expensive and unnecessary. Plain mineral or spring water would do!

Marrers
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
And the cashews.

The tubs are the same size as Ben & Jerrys etc. (Not as small as a coffee cup though - that would be extortionate!)

harpy
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I tried mine (pecan) at lunchtime and I quite liked it but found it rather substantial - dense and quite sweet - so I think a little will go a long way, which may make the price seem more acceptable.

Gorilla
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I thought the price might be down to using coconut oil or something like that - they use that as the solid fat in the truffles. But nope it's more likely the reverse osmosis water - which is expensive and unnecessary. Plain mineral or spring water would do!

why on earth do they bother with that? :confused:

i might see if any local shops stock it, but i'm not going to go out of my way to find it.

Blue moon
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried more than one variety?

Is there one that's nicer than others? I'm in two minds about trying another flavour one day

Cattmogg
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Oh my goodness... I just cant wait to get this in my mouth. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. at last.

harpy
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't mind trying the chocolate one since that's sort of their speciality, only I prefer fair trade chocolate and I'm not sure theirs is?