PDA

View Full Version : Divine milk chocolate?

Allanimalsrok
Mar 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone, does anyone know if divine milk chocolate is bad to eat, as it's unfair on the cows (for their milk), or is it okay? Sorry, I'm sort of new to becoming a vegan and just wondered as I buy it as it's fair trade. Thanks. xx:)

absentmindedfan
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
The 'milk' in the 'milk chocolate' is a bit of a clue ;)

Vegan=no animal products, fair trade or not. They're not ours to take.

Poison Ivy
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
If you're wanting a 'milk' chocolate, try this (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/rice_couverture.html)instead...it's a much better option than cow milk choccy !!:)

Pob
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Sainsbury's do smallish dairy free chocolate bars (the tangerine flavour is lovely), and Plamil (http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/chocolate.htm) make bigger bars in a range of flavours, too.

These are similar in taste to milk chocolate.

harpy
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
...or you could just switch to the dark version of Divine, which is quite good and is vegan, I believe. They've decided dark chocolate is actually good for you now (antioxidants) so you can eat it with a doubly clear conscience.

I like to buy chocolate that is fairly traded as well. Maya Gold is tasty although some people don't like buying from Green & Black's now it's part of Cadbury's. Organica is also nice and some stores such as Waitrose and (I think) M&S now sell their own brands of dark chocolate and it's usually vegan (but check the packets to be on the safe side).

Allanimalsrok
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Thank you very much for all your replies. Yeah, sorry, of course milk isn't vegan, silly me! Thanks yeah, I do buy the dark divine also, which is good, so I'll just stick to buying dark divine (and try those other suggested chocolates!). I heard about Green and Blacks being owned by Cadbury's too but there is a Fair trade green and blacks,though, so hard!xx:)

harpy
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I meant to say that Waitrose and M&S now sell their own brand dark fair trade chocolate. The Waitrose one at least is organic as well.

So much chocolate, so little time! :D

Allanimalsrok
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
If you're wanting a 'milk' chocolate, try this (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/rice_couverture.html)instead...it's a much better option than cow milk choccy !!:)

Oh yeah, I have this one a lot too!:)
Yeah, I've seen the M&S own brand, but unfortunately I don't know if I trust Supermarkets own - I know they're probably fair trade, but don't have that good a relationship with the workers who make the chocolate, does anyone know if this is true or any more on this? Thanksxx

harpy
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I think it's OK if it's got the Fair Trade Foundation's mark on it because it means they're independently accredited.

http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/

That's only as regards the deal with growers of the chocolate, of course; it doesn't mean tell you how they treat the people who work in the factories etc. But the same is true of other manufacturers I suppose.

From looking at the packaging on the Waitrose one I'd say it's made by the same people who make Organica, but I could be wrong.

Allanimalsrok
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Ok thanks a lot xx :)

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
i used to really love milk chocolate before last nov..so i scoffed it..these days i have maya gold sitting in the cupboard and i don't seem so fussed for it..it's good, but a bit goes a far way i think..tried plamil..not so impressed..but i did get some sainsbury's soya chocolate the other day and that's really 'milk' chocolatey..so there ya go, have a try of that maybe?

Lorrs
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
but i did get some sainsbury's soya chocolate the other day and that's really 'milk' chocolatey..so there ya go, have a try of that maybe?

ooh do you know what it's called?

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
erm..no...i bought it and stuffed it down immediately..without so much as a glance at the wrapper. haw haw.

well..in the sainsbury's i went into it was with all the 'free from' stuff..in a yellow wrapper...i'm sure you'd find it if you went in and went by this info :D (yellow wrapper - free from section)

Lorrs
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
erm..no...i bought it and stuffed it down immediately..without so much as a glance at the wrapper. haw haw.

well..in the sainsbury's i went into it was with all the 'free from' stuff..in a yellow wrapper...i'm sure you'd find it if you went in and went by this info :D (yellow wrapper - free from section)

cool I'll have a look, ta

RedWellies
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
I think it's called Soya Choc bar. They do a rice crackle one too which is nicer (in plain or tangerine flavour). Basically, they've just ripped off that other company who did exactly the same stuff!

Marrers
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM
I'm loving the Organica vegan White Chocolate - so creamy!

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
and is that available in all good shops marrers? :)

^ ^

or are we talking internet delivery type shopping?

Marrers
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Anywhere that sells anything from Organica (the people that make the vegan coconut bars and hazelnut nougat bars) should be able to order it in and I think you should urge them to do so!

It surprises me how so many places have so much of the range and leave out the best and most unusual vegan item!

I'd had the choc chips from Veganstore and didn't like them at all but this is quite like Milky Bar as far as I remember.

harpy
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
You can get that white choc from the Dr Hadwen Trust on-line shop.

I got some for my other half for Christmas and one of the cats developed a thing for it, which was a bit worrying. She did have a toothful or two because we read white chocolate isn't as bad for them as the other kind, but it makes me hesitate about buying any more... :eek: Pretty bad when you're held to ransom by your own cats.

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM
that's quite funny harpy!! when they get a taste for something they can be relentless to get it off you i've found :D

tbh i haven't come across organica products anywhere that i'm aware of??
i'm concerned about buying 'treats' online simply bcause i don't need them and i know i would go overboard. :o

Marrers
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
You can have a look at them here emma, then you'll know what to look out for. Click on products, then vegan organica and scroll through!
http://www.venturefoods.com/

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
thanks!!!

Roxy
Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:28 AM

I love it too!!! I've got 3 squares left and I'm saving them lol. They have to do me until I at least place my next order. :D