PDA

View Full Version : Soya margarine?

Papaya
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hello, I am vegetarian and trying to adapt my diet and lifestyle towards becoming vegan. I am struggling with one particular thing and would love any advise you could share with me. I cannot find a soya marg that I like the taste of, evenly when spread thinly. The only one's I have seen so far are the Pure brand and I have tried the sunflower and soya ones.
Is there just not a large selection yet or am I not looking in the right places? :confused:

Marrers
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I like Suma. You didn't say where you have been looking but you should find a bigger range in the health food shop rather than the supermarket. (Independent health food shops may stock things which chains like Hooland & Barret might not have.)

emmapresley
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
oddly the place where 'pure' marg is made is literally a stones throw from my back garden..i've often walked past it on the way down to the canal and chuntered and muttered to myself about how disgusting margerine is..at the time i ate butter cos it was 'natural'.

mad eh.:o

vegcurry
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
oddly the place where 'pure' marg is made is literally a stones throw from my back garden..i've often walked past it on the way down to the canal and chuntered and muttered to myself about how disgusting margerine is..at the time i ate butter cos it was 'natural'.

mad eh.:o

Does this mean you can get it cheap from the factory door? ;)
I love the Pure organic marg.

Pob
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
I don't eat margarine at all :)

Fresh bread is wonderful dipped in a extra virgin olive oil with mixed herbs (i use parsley, basil, oregano and marjoram). It's also makes a bit of a ritual out of a warm fresh baked loaf.

In most sandwiches I use hummous in place of margarine.

If I'm having toast I just spread it with nut butter or jam.

DancingWillow
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
In recipes I like Willow Run (it tastes great and it comes in 4 sticks (like dairy butter) which are marked with measurements (1 tablespoon, 1/4 cup, etc)

On bread, I like whipped Earth Balance. It's a favorite among many vegans, and a nubmer of non-vegans I know love it too.

And, like Pob, I also love bread dipped in olive oil and herbs.

I don't know if you'd have these brands where you are. Also, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for...does anyone know if Earth Balance would be considered more of a butter substitute or margarine?