PDA

View Full Version : London 2007-2009: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Korn
Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
What are your favorite vegan cafes / restaurants in London?

spazzpoet
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
You forgot Bonnington Cafe in Vauxhall, they have Vegan nights on wednesdays and it's all Vegetarian the rest of the week.

emmapresley
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
i can't vote on any of these, not having been to any of them. but i will go "ooooh, aren't you london lot spoilt for choice"..naff all like that round here, what with this being the grim north etc etc

Robert
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Amazing the choce they have hey Emma?

The only one I know is Mildred's and I went there when I was still very much a meat eater. I figure if their food can satisfy a committed carnivore then it must be something special.

My sister is a regular there now that she lives in London. It is a very nice little restaurant and we have always found the service to be good. Mind you, we always dine early, before the rush.

Mr Flibble
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Surely this would work better if people could only have one choice? I've been to 9 on the list, do I just vote for all of them? By not voting for something it makes it just look like I've not been there, as opposed to thinking it's crap.

Marrers
Jun 4th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'd rather not have to pick one favourite - I just voted for the few I really like.

(It asks for our favourites so I'm not sure why you would think you should vote for every one you've been to Mr F. I've been to 20 of them and I'm sure some people have been to them all!)

Korn
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Good point, Marrers - I just changed the title/question.

eco
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
i can't vote on any of these, not having been to any of them. but i will go "ooooh, aren't you london lot spoilt for choice"..naff all like that round here, what with this being the grim north etc etc
It can be grim dahn sarf sometimes as well. There are no exclusively vegetarian eating places in my town at all and very few vegan options available in ordinary restaurants either. I have to go to Brighton to get a guaranteed decent vegan meal.

It's been a long time since I've eaten out in London, I try to keep away from the place if possible, but I did get good food in Neal's Yard. I've heard very good things about the Pogo Cafe, so next time I'm forced to go to London I'll give the place a try. Presumably Red Veg do the same menu in both Brighton and London and I've eaten in the Brighton one many times and I love their vegan hotdogs with caramelised onions.

Kevster
Oct 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Sounds interesting....

http://www.bonningtoncafe.co.uk/

RebeccaDye
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Govinda's :D

flying plum
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM
re:bonningtons - do they have a vegan/veganisable option when it's not vegan night?

amanda

Marrers
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:52 AM
I think it is a bit hit and miss, at least it has been when I've been there. And there isn't much choice in the menu, maybe two options and no certainty that one will be vegan - unless things have changed there (which they may have done now the chefs rota is online and you can contact them) but I found it a bit 'this is what we are cooking tonight, like it or lump it'!

I'd advise checking with the chef in advance.

Gorilla
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Peking Palace is brilliant, i went there on Saturday :D

flying plum
Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I think it is a bit hit and miss, at least it has been when I've been there. And there isn't much choice in the menu, maybe two options and no certainty that one will be vegan - unless things have changed there (which they may have done now the chefs rota is online and you can contact them) but I found it a bit 'this is what we are cooking tonight, like it or lump it'!

I'd advise checking with the chef in advance.

that's what i figured. have wanted to go there for a while - it came highly recommended to me - but i didn't want to get there and not be able to eat anything :(

amanda

BlackCats
Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I've been to Red Veg, 222 and Mildred's.
I think I like Red Veg the best ha ha. I'm so classy!:D

bryzee86
Oct 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
hehe redveg is pretty darn cool though. Makes fast food accessible to us. Not necessarily healthy, but certainly less unhealthy than some fast food chains...

You still haven't tried pogo? we're so gonna have to meet up and go there.

BlackCats
Oct 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I know, I really want to try Eat and Two Veg as well.:)
I can't believe there are so many, I must walk around London with my eyes closed.

bryzee86
Oct 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
awh yeah eat and two veg is great as well. Brilliant burgers for when you have more money than for redveg. The soya chicken style skewers with satay dip are nice. Ooh and chinese dumplings as well. yummers.

Gorilla
Oct 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
i still want to try Pogo and Eat & Two Veg as well, but never seem to get round to going :rolleyes:

Holly78
Oct 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I've been to Mildreds three times and like it a lot. I really want to try 222 and Pogo too next time I'm in London. :)

alisont
Oct 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Over Fri and Sat i managed to visit Beatroot for Fri lunch, Mildreds for a late dinner - how crowded is that place on a Fri but wonderful food and then 222 on Sat lunch all totally wonderful!

I have still to try eat and 2 vege and Peking palace and Pogo and im sure a few others....London is so cool for vegan food:) didnt get chance to take veggie frined who ate vegan at all meals to red vege - next time!

Use to like the Tai buffets but not since the amount of sugar and msg seems to of increased!

flying plum
Oct 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
doesn't seem to be on the list, but place i went to the other day for trhe first time in streatham called 'whole food cafe' was really good. lovely little airy cafe, particularly for where it is on the high street! (shrubbery road, just before the barclays right down the end of the high road). just popped in for a coffee while boyfriend was faffing in the bank, as it's in my little book of veggie restaurants and had been meaning to go for a while. ended up having very tasty fruit crumble with soya custard (and having to fight boyfriend for it, after he decided to see what 'this soya stuff tastes like then' and deciding it wasn't too bad *l*).

maybe not my favourite place (yet), but certainly worth checking out for anyone in the area. they also do some lunchtime deal, main and a fruit smoothie, but i'm not sure how much of those are vegan. but both the specials the day i was there were vegan.

amanda

antman
Oct 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Vita Organic is my favourite by miles.

Marrers
Oct 31st, 2007, 04:45 AM
. . . in streatham called 'whole food cafe'

It's actually called Wholemeal Cafe. That place reminds me of how Cranks was back in the day! I wouldn't say it is all that great for vegan choice as the menu is quite limited and not very exciting IMO. I've had some nice food in there but it really depends on whether the special is vegan as well as to your liking on the day you go. If my memory serves me well I don't think the cakes are ever vegan - I may be wrong but I've never been able to get cake in there when I've been.
If you are in the area though there is certainly nowhere else to go!

ETA Here is the menu. Shame they don't mark what is vegan. http://www.wholemealcafe.com/menu.php

flying plum
Oct 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM
my apologies, you are indeed correct! not sure about cakes, but the crumble was deffo vegan.

it definately is 'old style' veggie food, lots of bean stews and things, but it was a nice thing to be able to get crumble and custard somewhere that wasn't my kitchen! :D

amanda