PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Forum E-book!

emmapresley
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Re: What Are You Thinking Right Now?
After being influenced by emmapresley's roasted vegetable tart of pleasure ....

Here's what we're thinking right now.

Fellow Vegan Forum members.

We all love our food and our lifestyle. Sharing food is one of the best ways we can promote veganism. We, emmapresley and vegcurry, propose a project for all interested VFers to create an e-book, for free download, of our own recipes and ideas.

Please PM either of us if interested. If enough responses are received we will create a thread in the Members area for recipes (and if possible photographs) of your culinary creations that you would like included.

after consulting with the mighty korn and getting a go ahead to pop this thread in the recipe section, i'll appeal again for anyone who would care to contribute to the e-book. we sort of thought it might be really ace idea that could bond us all further as a community sort of thing :)

another idea would be that although the e-book would be available free for download, a small voluntary contribution could be made towards the running of the VF.

so..get posting, cooking, pic taking :D

emmapresley
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
emma p's very tasty roast vegetable tart

main meal
serves about 3 people or 2 if you're extra hungry :)

preparation time:20 mins or so.

cooking time:30 mins for veg roasting, 40 mins for tart baking

you will need

an oven
med sized cake tin/flan tin
rolling pin!
knives..bowl..etc

ingredients

*500g jus roll puff pastry, thawed out (if you can make your own puff pastry...go for it..sadly that's beyond me!)
*3 medium peppers (combination of whatever colours you like the best..i like red ones!)
*3 medium carrots
*2 medium courgettes
*olive oil
*2 teaspoons mother hemp red pesto sauce
* 3 teaspoons seeds of change basil and tomato stir in sauce
*1oz or so cheezly mozzarella (optional i think) grated.

ok..preheat your oven to gas mark 7

peel/wash/dice the carrots, courgettes and peppers into smallish even sized pieces..pop them into a bowl..

drizzle a little olive oil and mix so they're evenly coated.

put into a roasting tray and into the oven..roast, turning frequently until they're all quite soft, but not burnt..adjust the heat if necessary.

in the meantime, flour up a rolling pin and roll out the thawed pastry until it's about a centimetre thick and will cover the base and sides of the flan tin. leave it for 5 mins or so then carefully place it in..there should be plenty left. you can use this for making a 'lid' and rolling into nice shapes to put on the top. perhaps your initial or love heart ;)

take the roast veg out of the oven and heat up a wok type pan then you will need to 'sautee' the roasted veg with the 3 teaspoons of stir in sauce (i use tomato and basil which is very nice) and the 2 teaspoons of mother hemp red pesto. you could improvise with a bit of passata/tomato ketchup (really!) etc. add cracked black pepper and stir it all up so it isn't too too sloppy..you don't want it to be too much like a sauce at all..just enough to coat the roast veg.

then place all your mixture into your flan tin, spread it all out nicely..and if you are using, sprinkle the grated cheezly on top.

roll out the remaining pastry and pop it on top..it doesn't matter that it looks messy (oh? this was just mine??)..it all adds to the rustic reality of it!
feel free to add your creative shapes on top. if there is any grated cheezly left, sprinkle the rest on top of the pastry lid.

into the oven it goes..on the middle shelf at number 7...220 c, 425 f for approximately half an hour to 40 minutes.

leave to cool for 15 mins or so before slicing.

can serve it up with spuds..veg..salad..the choice is yours!

also really nice cold ;)

i have photos..but can't find the cable to transfer the onto the pc. will sort that out asap and post them here

vegcurry
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Oh, I've posted this before but it's the only one I've got typed up at the mo. And not wanting to appear like I'm slacking too much on what is partly my daft/brilliant idea (delete where applicable) ............ here goes

Spicy Butternut Squash and Peanutbutter Soup

Serves: 4
Preparation time: (depends on how slack you are and how many glasses of wine you've had)
Cooking time: 45 mins

Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash
3 large onions
5 cloves garlic
1 inch of Ginger
1 Scotch Bonnet Chilli
1 Green Chilli
Olive Oil to fry in
1 Vegetable Stockcube
3 tbsp Peanut Butter
A good chunk of Creamed Coconut

Method:

Roast the cubed squash until browned and soft.
Fry the sliced onions in olive oil until soft.
Add crushed garlic and finely minced chillies to the onions and fry all until softened.
Add the roast squash to the onions, fry with remaining ingredients for a few minutes.
Mix the stockcube and grated creamed coconut into a pint or more of hot water. Add the peanut butter and mix well.
Mix stock into the vegetables. Simmer on a low heat.

Serve with freshly grated black pepper, a side salad and/or fresh baked bread.

Notes:
This makes a thick warming winter soup and the addition of chillies certainly give it a bite. For a less spicier version omit the scotch bonnet, although this does give the soup a lovely flavour.

For a quick version of this recipe don’t roast the squash just put in straight into the frying onions after several minutes and cook until softened, then proceed as above.
This soup can be served chunky (roasted squash) or creamed in a liquidiser for the quick version.