PDA

View Full Version : lemongrass (in a jar)??

triona.d.
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM
a thai brocolli soup recipe calls for a piece of lemongrass but my mum couldn't find any in the shop so she bought some in a jar. it's says lemongrass in sunflower oil....do you think i can use some of that??? thanks guys, i don't know where i'd come with all my food worries without this place!
happy veganising :)

flying plum
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
i've used that before...always assumed it was vegan as it was just ground up lemongrass mixed with sunflower oil to make a paste. i guess there could be risk of cross contamination, if you're strict, because their other pastes and stuff use fish sauce...

amanda

triona.d.
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
thanks amanda. yes, i assumed it was vegan but i was more wondering whether using it would effect the flavour at all? and if it was okay, how much i should use? it says in the recipe 'a piece of lemongrass'....

flying plum
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
i use it to make curry paste, in place of a piece of lemongrass (which i can never find either). i usually use a teaspoonful or so in place of it. i've not tried to use it in a soup...i guess it would work in a similar fashion?

pavotrouge
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I love using lemon grass in a jar- I'm always way too lazy to work on fresh lemon grass, plus the jarred variety keeps well in the fridge (I guess forever!).
I don't know how to compare it with the fresh grass in recipes, just use it to your taste!

triona.d.
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:17 AM
hiya, thanks for all your replies. i used about a teaspoon in place of a piece of lemongrass and the soup was DELICIOUS! i'm gonna post the recipe in the soups forum if anyone's interested. thanks again, tri