PDA

View Full Version : Mustard

Yogini
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Has anybody ever tried making their own mustard? I know my stepmom did it once but her recipe calls for eggs (yuck.) I'm trying to find a base recipe where I can play with the flavorings so I can recreate, as closely as possible, the flavor of Mendocino Mustard, which is quite hot and sweet.

TIA.

flying plum
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
i think english mustard is just mustard seeds (brown and white) made into flour, mixed with tumeric to give it the bright yellow colour, and water. with i guess sugar and salt to taste? i'm not sure what mendocino mustard is...is it a brand, or a type, like dijon?

amanda

Yogini
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Mendocino Mustard is a brand that's made in Fort Bragg, CA, just north of the village of Mendocino. I grew up in those parts and on days when I didn't have time to pack a lunch or any cash, I would run into this gift store on Main St. where they had a MM display with crackers and mustard to sample. It's a nostalgia thing for me. You can now buy MM online, but I looked at the ingredients list and I'd rather make my own with no preservatives, no wheat, and with sugar I know isn't bone char. Plus, I just really like DIY in the kitchen.

Risker
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Colemans English mustard is just Mustard flour and water I believe.

I'd like to try making a wholegrain mustard myself, I love the stuff.

Yogini
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I don't know, when my stepmom made her mustard it was this big production that involved cooking things and took forever. And everybody said it was the best mustard they ever had.:confused:

Pob
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
You could replace the eggs with some kind of thickener plus a little oil. Cornflour or egg replacer might work. If I was using this recipe: http://southernfood.about.com/od/seasoningrecipes/r/blbb358.htm
I'd try using 1/2 to one tablespoon of cornflour and 2 tablespoons of oil and see how that worked out. Mix the cornflour with the mustard and sugar, then mix in the oil, vinegar and salt.

One tablespoon of cornflour should set it solid, 1/2 should leave it slightly runny.