PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

maldoror
Apr 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I have a health-related issue. I have recently gone vegan and, after four months, have been experiencing back pain. Did or has anyone else experienced this as a consequence of a vegan diet? I assume I am missing something necessary but haven't a clue as to what it might be. It is similar to kidney pain after having consumed too many sodas yet I abandoned carbonated beverages long ago, however, if this is any consequence, I drink coffee with organic, unrefined sugar in gross amounts.

absentmindedfan
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Caffeine may well be a contributory factor as it dehydrates you and could be straining your kidneys.

However not every health issue is caused by diet. Back pain e.g spinal issues, is highly unlikely to be caused by diet.

BlackDog
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I, and most other blokes I know, have some back problems. I think it's more to do with walking upright then a veg. diet. Try doing everything on all fours for a few weeks and your back ache will disappear. :D

harpy
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear this, maldoror. If you have suddenly started getting these pains I would go and see a doctor. I don't know of any aspect of a vegan diet that could cause a problem like that so it's probably just a coincidence that it's happened now.

If you're really drinking that much sugary coffee, it might be worth cutting down, whether or not it's causing the pains? Maybe try drinking green tea or something like that instead?

Hope you feel better soon.