PDA

View Full Version : figgy ideas please??

emmapresley
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
could i be outrageous enough to politely ask if anyone has any recipes that are ace that include dried figs?

are these quite nice soaked in orange juice too? (i'm sure i heard that somewhere?!)

i have recently acquired a massive amount of dried figs and although they're really nice just to gnaw on, i'm sure there's something that can be done to make them 'even' more exciting...like baking or slicing or something? :confused:

any suggestions please? :)

piggy
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
i've bought chocolate-covered dried figs before...very nice. you could try making your own?

edit: or stuff them with nuts/nutbutter, and then cover them in chocolate :p yum!

emmapresley
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
i'm googling...

absentmindedfan
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Soak them in orange juice then use them in all sorts of recipes as a sugar and fat replacer. Dates work in a similar way. Searching for 'fat free vegan baking' should yield something.

RedWellies
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Make sure they're not Calymyrna (http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljune99.htm) figs.

harpy
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM
You can make a nice fruit salad by simmering some dried figs for a while along with other dried fruit such as sultanas and apricots, in enough water to cover, with spices such as cinnamon sticks or cracked cardamom pods. Cook until the fruit is tender, add a dash of rose water and then serve it either warm or cold, ideally with vegan custard (slurp).

DancingWillow
Apr 13th, 2007, 03:04 AM
you could put figs and other dried fruit and chopped nuts in a food processor and make a kind of "dough"...then roll it into a thick cylinder and cut it into slices:)

cedarblue
Apr 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
exactly my idea dw!!

or roll the dough into little balls.

chop up the figs and add to shop bought museli or make your own with chopped figs in.

Smoothie
Apr 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
you can use the slices on bread. it's really good.

piggy
Apr 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM
You can make a nice fruit salad by simmering some dried figs for a while along with other dried fruit such as sultanas and apricots, in enough water to cover, with spices such as cinnamon sticks or cracked cardamom pods. Cook until the fruit is tender, add a dash of rose water and then serve it either warm or cold, ideally with vegan custard (slurp).

yeah, or make stewed fruit for dessert, together with other dried fruits such as prunes and apricots, and other fresh fruit too, peaches would be great, except it's too early for them...and then serve with custard:p

nervine
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
or make some gravy and cook some tofu in it along with the figs and some prunes :drool:

insubordination
Apr 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Oooh, I love figs. Am eating some dried green ones since reading your post. Got this from raw pleasure.com.au

I made it once when I went raw for a while. It was outta sight. I guess you could switch the nuts around and experiment.

ETA: I realise I didn't credit this recipe it's from http://www.raw-pleasure.com.au/

Brazil Nut and Fig Torte

http://www.raw-pleasure.com/newsletters/NVNH-13_May_2004_Images/FigCake_forWeb.jpg Cake
2 cups Brazil nuts
2 cups pecans
3 cups raisins
1 cups figs
Frosting

1 cups PITTED dates
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon rind
Pulp from 1 passionfruit
To make base:
1. Blend until it forms a solid mass in the food processor (it should be very fine with occasional chunk).
2. Place on a plate and shape into a cake shape.
3. You can use chopsticks to make the nice fluted edges in the picture.
To make frosting:
1. Mix all frosting ingredients and blend in a food processor until smooth.
2. If the dates are very firm and resisting blending just blend partially and let soak about 15 minutes to soften. Blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Frost cake.
4. Decorate with lemon zest, nuts, fresh berries or passion fruit pulp.

herbwormwood
Apr 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I cook them with some water, sugar or syrup and some lemonjuice until most of the liquid is gone then I put it into a jar or dish and use like jam. It will keep for a few weeks in the fridge. Throw it away if you see any mould starting.
Figs are good for constipation too.

absentmindedfan
Apr 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I just hope Pob doesn't appear in this thread and get all hot under the collar..

pat sommer
Apr 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cold Tea Cake: can use all fig or combination of date raisin fig

1 cup leftover tea
125g marg
300g dry fruit
160g brown sugar (or sucanat/rapadura)

260g flour (I like half wholemeal)
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Combine first lot in saucepan, stirring bring to boil. simmer 3 minutes. Let cool to room temp
Add next lot. combine well .
Bake 180c/350 F 1 hour in 8 inch/ 20 cm cake tin or 2 loaf tins.
Freezes well

Lorrs
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I was considering this recipe earlier today http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/skinny-figgy-bars.html

stumbleine
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
i used to have this sometimes when i was a vegetarian: mix about 2-3 tablespoons of cream cheese with some chopped dried figs, about 5 or so, and some chopped walnuts as well. spread over toast, and maybe drizzle with sweetner. i can´t have vegan cream cheese anywere here, but i guess you can. this is pretty good....