PDA

View Full Version : Celery Root or Celeriac

Artichoke47
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:54 AM
What is celery root and what does it look like? Is it just the bottom white part of the head of celery?

Thanks! :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:59 AM
It is the bottom/root part (bulb).
It is great grated and made into a raw salad or roasted and madde with other root veggies or cooked and mashed in with mashed potatoes... :)

Artichoke47
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Thank you, CC. I didn't want to be looking all over the produce section for a separate and distinct vegetable. LOL :)

Inchoate
Oct 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM
To clarify, it is actually another plant entirely separate from stalk celery; celeriac shoots up a stalk-like growth, but all of the plant's growth energy is used to create the root, not the above-ground shoot.

cedarblue
Oct 18th, 2004, 07:41 PM
To clarify, it is actually another plant entirely separate from stalk celery; celeriac shoots up a stalk-like growth, but all of the plant's growth energy is used to create the root, not the above-ground shoot.

yes. celeriac is delicious grated with carrot and or cabbage to make coleslaw its also good chopped up in stews. i just cant make my veggie casserole without celery - its indespensable! :p

Inchoate
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Another outstanding use for it is in soup, as a puree:

Saute an onion and garlic down, add three or four celeriacs chopped to the pot with a small handfull of roasted (unsalted) cashews, top with water, season to taste, boil, puree. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice, and maybe some torn celery leaves for visual appeal/flavour.