PDA

View Full Version : Some Oatly milks not vegan?

Pages : [1] 2

Johnah
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hi,

We were wondering whether the Oatly chocolate drink was vegan so emailed the company. This is what they wrote in their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly.

The oatly healthy oat organic suitable for vegans. The enriched oatly drinks contain vitamin D3 which originate from sheeps wool fat. For your information we are investigating the possiblity to find an alternative to D3 suitable in our product.

So, only one of the Oatly drinks is vegan, the plain, un-enriched one.

Just thought some on here would like to know.

John

absentmindedfan
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
:(
Thanks for posting.

This now means that the ONLY treat I can have that does not cause immense nausea, Chocolate Oatly, is now no longer OK for me to have.

Guess I'm getting a refund then. At least the unfortified one is OK, I can't digest soy milk and rice milk is gross.

My day just gets better and better.

aubergine
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

This is most dissapointing :(

nervine
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
and rice milk is gross.

:eek::eek::eek:

flying plum
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
amf - i'm sure you already thought of this, but perhaps cocoa powder in unfortified oatly?

i put this in my porridge sometimes, and omg it is sooooo gorgeous. i use G+B's cocoa powder to mark the occasion :)

amanda

Marrers
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I wonder if this applies to any other fortified products?

flying plum
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I wonder if this applies to any other fortified products?

mmm, that thought did cross my mind. i can't remember what the alpro soymilk has in it now, but it does very clearly say on the side 'suitable for vegetarians/vegans'

amanda

twinkle
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
if it doesn't say it's suitable for vegans and it's a fortified product it's always best to check, especially if it's D and doesn't say if it's D2 or D3 :(

Veryblue2
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
:eek: I didn't know you could even get chocolate oatly!

I just double checked my plain one (the only one I have seen round here) and it's the organic healthy oatly which is not fortified. Ingredients are just water, oats and sea salt.

This now means that the ONLY treat I can have that does not cause immense nausea, Chocolate Oatly, is now no longer OK for me to have.

Don't fret AMF, I agree with flying plums suggestion. I have been making oat milk hot chocolate all winter and I'm sure you could make up a few batches yourself then let it cool before storing it in the fridge for later.

Here is my ultra elaborate oat milk hot chocolate 'recipe':
In a large mug add 3 tsp of coca, 1 tsp of sugar or agave nectar (or to taste) and 1/2 to 1 tsp of cornflour or slippery elm (optional). Add a little boiling water and mix to make a smooth paste. Stir in some oat milk, mix well, then add more oat milk until the mug is not quite full. Microwave for 1 min, then stir. Microwave at 30 second intervals until hot (or starts to thicken and bubble/climb if you used the cornflour/slippery elm, keep an eye on it though! it can and will turn into a volcano and splurge over the sides).
It's a lot simpler than it sounds! Honest :D
Oh, and add a touch more cornflour/slippery elm to make chocolate blancmange/custardy goop, kind of like the Alpro pots.

hazelbunny
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:54 AM
:eek: !!! What's the point in them if they're not vegan?!

hazelbunny
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:58 AM
:eek: I didn't know you could even get chocolate oatly!

I just double checked my plain one (the only one I have seen round here) and it's the organic healthy oatly which is not fortified. Ingredients are just water, oats and sea salt.

Don't fret AMF, I agree with flying plums suggestion. I have been making oat milk hot chocolate all winter and I'm sure you could make up a few batches yourself then let it cool before storing it in the fridge for later.

In a large mug add 3 tsp of coca, 1 tsp of sugar or agave nectar (or to taste) and 1/2 to 1 tsp of cornflour or slippery elm (optional). Add a little boiling water and mix to make a smooth paste. Stir in some oat milk, mix well, then add more oat milk until the mug is not quite full. Microwave for 1 min, then stir. Microwave at 30 second intervals until hot (or starts to thicken and bubble/climb if you used the cornflour/slippery elm, keep an eye on it though! it can and will turn into a volcano and splurge over the sides).
Oh, and add a touch more cornflour/slippery elm to make chocolate blancmange/custardy goop, kind of like the Alpro pots.

Mmmm! That sounds lovely Veryblue! I love slippery elm but I never thought of adding cocoa :)

Mr Flibble
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM

suitable for people who are lactose intollerant

absentmindedfan
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM

That's fab! Thank you so much :)

Veryblue2
Apr 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM

As Mr. F says they market towards the lactose intolerant primarily. Don't know why they went and added sheeps wool fat (like thats healthy 'food' anyway :confused: ) when they could have fortified like the soya milks are. Maybe they just wanted to differentiate themselves or something. :rolleyes:

Mmmm! That sounds lovely Veryblue! I love slippery elm but I never thought of adding cocoa :)

Heh, I thought I was the only slippery elm connoisseur! Magical stuff that slippery elm.

That's fab! Thank you so much :)

Your welcome AMF! Hope I didn't make it sound too confusing :D It's crazy how well oat milk and coca go together, they just seem made for each other.

Maisiepaisie
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I've only tried the Oatly cream alternative and I can definately recommend it. Its nicer than Alpro cream and another bonus is that is doesn't contain sugar.

Herbidacious
Jun 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
reply:

Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly.
The oatly healthy oat organic suitable for vegans. The enriched oatly drinks contain vitamin D3 which originate from sheeps wool fat. For your information we are investigating the possiblity to find an alternative to D3 suitable in our product.
It would have been some help if they'd at least listed D3 on the carton as the type they use. Why do they have to put vitamin D in it anyway :confused:

HappyVegan
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Can you have chocolate almond milk? I could drink gallons of that stuff!

frank language
Jun 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Why do they have to put vitamin D in it anyway :confused:
Because some people don't get much sun?

twinkle
Jun 28th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe alternatives to cream/milk have to be fortified, like margarine has to be by law... hm, that can't be true though, cos the Tesco value stuff is just beans and water.

Maybe because they're bloody minded? :p

pavotrouge
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Aaaw, I loved the oatly cream sub!

Anyway, I'll email them about considering to change the recipes... who's with me (worked with Alpro some years ago, so why not try it)?!

Maisiepaisie
Jun 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Aaaw, I loved the oatly cream sub!Oatly cream is definately vegan. No vitamin D in that :)

Mr Flibble
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
What about the E472e? Is there confirmation from them that it is vegan?

Maisiepaisie
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I bought mine from Unicorn Grocery (http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/principles.php) and their policy is that everything is strictly vegan. No need to worry about reading labels there :)

ShariBlackVelvet
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I know this is an old thread - but happy to hear that all of Oatly's products are now vegan. :-) www.saveascream.com/recommended.htm

Firestorm
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I know this is an old thread - but happy to hear that all of Oatly's products are now vegan. :-) www.saveascream.com/recommended.htm (http://www.saveascream.com/recommended.htm)
Hi
I think this has been discussed on a couple different threads (but its always worth mentioning it again in case anyone hasn't heard!!!).
You should know that they are only vegan if the use by date is 01-01-2012 or after http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?997-Favorite-vegan-milk-alternatives&p=673869&viewfull=1#post673869:)