PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a vegan lodger?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Heartsease
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Any ideas where I'd go to fynd a non-smoking vegan lodger? (Or veggie if all else fails).
I live on a butiful Scottish island, not far from a ferry terminal and am flexible about animal friends and stuuuuf. I won't be back in the UK 'til May butt will then have a room available to rent as a kinda bedsit affair. I might even consider accepting guests in my other spare room, on a temporary basis, in exchange for some gardening/oddjobs/bicycle work/driving lessons etc. Could be a nyce cheap holiday for someone/families with or without hairy four-legged companions...
All suggest-onions appreciated:D

twinkle
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM
You could put an ad on the www.veganvillage.co.uk noticeboard.

You could also put an ad in the local paper free-ads and just say that it's a meat-free house, veg*ns preferred - I got most of my lodgers by putting an ad on Leicester Free Exchange, which is a free-ad website.

Heartsease
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Twinkle. Iyll see what I can do...
I've never had lodgers before...if there wuz only one bit of advice you could give me what would it be?

twinkle
Apr 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hmm. Can I give you more than one bit of advice?

* Try to work out the kind of people you would like to live with and the kind that you would find it very difficult to - i.e. if someone is going to insist on practising the flute for 5 hours a day or keep odd hours will you be able to handle it?

* re smoking - do you actually want a non-smoker, or is just their willingness to smoke outside okay? A lot of people tend to lie about this if you say "non smoker required", whereas if you just want a smoke free house say as much.

* Have a set of questions or at least a rough idea of a few questions you're going to ask people when they come to look around the place.

* It's a good idea to have a friend around when they come to check out the place - for security, and also for second impressions.

* Don't tell them then and there that they can or can't move in unless you're 100% sure - say you have other people to interview and give yourself time to think about whether you'll enjoy living with them.

Heartsease
Apr 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Kuul....thanks for that!

gertvegan
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Try www.vegcom.org.uk Heartsease

Heartsease
Apr 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks gertvegan....seems someone has already advertized a room to rent on a Scottish island...... ;-)

Marrers
Apr 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My friend is having trouble finding anyone in Croydon. :(

Zorillo
May 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/3939249.stm

Zorillo
May 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
my ad: http://birmingham.gumtree.com/birmingham/87/7203287.html

aubergine
May 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Fantastic. Maybe I should move to Swansea :)

Heartsease
May 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Iym having a hard thyme fynding a lodger. Iym starting to think I shud swap for a hooose somewhere more popular!:eek:

Marrers
May 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
My friend is still looking too. :(

Heartsease
May 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Considering the half full glass I do have some overnight guests arriving from Canada and Ireland and Austria via Couchsurfers (you can google that if you are into hospitality exchange thingums)...I am quite excited about that....
:D:D:D

:rolleyes:

Marrers
May 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Are they vegans? (And more importantly are they paying you!?!) :)

Heartsease
May 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Are they vegans? (And more importantly are they paying you!?!) :)

Well.....um.....the people who come via

couchsurfing.com

and

globalfreeloaders.com

come for free...and, as part of the scheme I can stay with other people for free. It is a great system for people who travel a lot....and/or who like receiving interesting visitors. It's usually a one or two night visit.

We also have people coming in June who plan to stay longer and are 'paying' via exchange....one is proposing to do some design work for my business, for example.

The Irish guy staying right now is veggie but not vegan. Smoking and meat are not allowed but I am not excluding non-vegans from my home...cuz then no-one would come!!!:eek: And it's fun meeting people:)

Any vegans wanna come do just let me know! One room sleeps four (tightly) ...so small families cud squeeze in ....furry four-legged friends too....:p....if it's one or two nights it's free (you buy your own food)...any longer and you can offer something in exchange.

But, Marrers, I really want to rent out room#1 for actual money in the bank!
Soon I hope.:D

Zorillo
Oct 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
A room in my place is up for rent soon

Zorillo
Oct 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The website of the place that the room in my place is available through: www.rooms4every1.com (http://www.rooms4every1.com)

Zorillo
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Room still available I'm guessing. Two other rooms will be available which I'm guessing are available in December and January. Four bedroom place. Cheap rent. In Selly Oak. I don't want smoking in the place. I'm not planning on moving out.

Marrers
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
My friend is having trouble finding anyone in Croydon. :(

I posted this in April and she is still looking. Finding a vegan or even a vegetarian lodger seems to be an impossible task. :confused:

Piticli
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM

Zorillo
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
If anyone is interested they can ring 0121 471 1195 (which is where I got the place through) and say that they are interested in the place in Selly Oak where Abigail (me) lives. It doesn't matter about contacting me first. I don't want to mention my surname, but they could find out who it is. Here is my profile if you want to know more about me: www.myspace.com/ahp (http://www.myspace.com/ahp) I haven't got the key to the bedroom, so I can't show you around whenever I like. There is a garden and kitchen. You are welcome to have the Internet. We haven't got the internet that all of us use. There is a living room. Sainburys and pubs are near. Loads of buses run nearby

Zorillo
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I have to find somewhere else to live now. Anyone up for looking for a place with me or have a spare room?

Marrers
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Maybe Piticli is still looking for somewhere in Birmingham. You should pm him. (Unless you are thinking of relocating to Croydon!)

Piticli
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM