PDA

View Full Version : NoneHarm - what do you think?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Korn
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
This isn't a public site yet, so I'm posting it in the members section only.

[ (http://noneharm.com/)Link removed, see this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14557-NoneHarm-what-do-you-think&p=689673&viewfull=1#post689673) post.]

Do you think it's worthwhile launching this project? Any comments?

eco
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think it's an extemely worthwhile project. Anything that promotes the ideal of non harm/ahimsa is a good thing in an increasingly violent world. The very best of luck with this project Korn.

Mr Flibble
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
This isn't a public site yet, so I'm posting it in the members section only.]

It's already in google:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?complete=1&hl=en&q=noneharm&meta=

absentmindedfan
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds fab, could become a great resource

Roxy
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I think it looks like a great resource too Korn!

twinkle
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Looks good! :)

BlackDog
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:53 PM
It does look good.
Grammatically, 'Noharm' or 'Harmnone' would work better. :)

RedWellies
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Or nonharm. I agree it's a good idea.

hazelbunny
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I think its a fantastic idea too :)

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt" - The Wiccan Rede

Risker
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'd like 'Noharmdone.com' in a parodic sense.

Korn
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
It does look good.
Grammatically, 'Noharm' or 'Harmnone' would work better.
noharm.com sounds better, but the domain name isn't available...

Ginger
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Great idea Korn, good luck with it :)

aubergine
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I think the project is a great idea.

Gorilla
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM
great idea! sounds really worthwhile at getting the message out there. i like the look and design of the test website too.

pookah
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Good idea! Good luck.

Kevster
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Like the idea, there is very little criticism of vegetarianism, many groups prefer to silently promote veganism. I also think the name could do with a change. Noneharm doesn't sound quite right.

veganlinda
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Looks like a great idea. I am working on project to promote veganism where I work and this is the kind of site that would have been perfect to utilise, especially if there is multimedia stuff.

sprite1986
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea! :D But I agree with some of the posts above, 'noneharm' doesn't sound quite right..

I really like the whole style of the site though.

EDIT: but just a little point, in the first bullet-point on the main page, it says 'Every animal and human have the right to live a happy life"; it might read a bit better if you put "every animal and human has the right...." :)

HappyVegan
Jun 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I haven't been around for a while so I just saw this. I went and read through the whole site and it sounds wonderful! I can't think of any other animal rights organization that focuses on what I believe better than this. I also love the web design and layout. Best of luck with the launch!

cobweb
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I like it, too. I actually like the name because it sounds slightly quirky ;) .

eve
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I like the name for that same reason, cobweb :)

Korn
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Looks like a great idea. I am working on project to promote veganism where I work and this is the kind of site that would have been perfect to utilise, especially if there is multimedia stuff.
It will have all kinds of multimedia stuff (downloadable .pdf files, movie clips, DVDs for sale etc) a while after the project will be launched, if it will be launched. Nothing's wrong with flyers, but people depend more and more on digital media for their info these days, and that isn't going to change.

I haven't been around for a while so I just saw this. I went and read through the whole site and it sounds wonderful! I can't think of any other animal rights organization that focuses on what I believe better than this. I also love the web design and layout. Best of luck with the launch!

A project of this kind would require a substantial amount of time and money, it would need sponsors and maybe also paying members, it would need both a paid staff and volunteers, but still would have to start up in a small format.

Based on the positive feedback here and in private messages, it looks like there's a need for such an organization/company. Here are quotes from a couple of PMs I received:

Noneharm must NOT be a "typical" animal rights organisation. What noneharm should be is an in-depth resource of knowledge that promotes ethical lifestyle and hence veganism.

The world does not lack animal rights organisations. There are plenty. What people need is one central point or institution that gives all info without any bias irrespective of religious sentiments or pesudo-science. So I appreciate this idea.

[...]

What I am saying is, Noneharm must be viewed by people as an information body and not only as a group of animal rights people. Show the ideas as credible information and talk about the planet as a whole when expressing most of this information when possible.

[...]

The most important thing to remember is that you are not just concentrating on Animal rights. You are discussing ethics from various viewpoints and in the larger scope of the environment, planet and human welfare.

Let me point out another advantage of having such an institution. Let us say NoneHarm Publications (a wing of NoneHarm) produces books, DVDs and materials on so much knowledge and scientific facts that advocate for veganism and care for the planet. You will find that many schools and universities will gladly have these books and materials in their libraries. Students will read it with the aim to gain knowledge, but in the process they will make a large impact on the future of the planet and animals.

Do you think PeTA's materials will be allowed in schools or colleges? NO !!! Why??? Because they look too pushy, inconsistent, visibly biased and in most cases looks fanatical. Do you see the difference between NoneHarm and any typical animal rigts organisation? NoneHarm will not be any run-of-the-mill type organisation.

I'm not going to start a PETA-discussion at all, but I believe that all these things are important: People who work in schools, media or other institutions who look for any kind of media discussing or documenting reasons to go vegan would very likely meet serious friction if whatever they presented contained links to ALF or pictures of people wearing masks when attacking labs, combined with pictures of Paris Hilton and Pamela Anderson supporting their work.

OTOH, I also think it's important NOT to use an organization like NoneHarm (whatever the name will be) to attack Peta or any other pro-vegan group, even if it may be important to explain the difference. One wouldn't have to be anti-Peta, anti-ALF or anti-The Vegan Society (etc) to support something like NoneHarm.

[Edit: the word NOT was missing from the sentence above!]

Here's a response from another PM:

I certainly do think it worth starting - I've checked out quite a number of vegan sites as you must have, but this is certainly one where I don't have to close my eyes to certain statements.

So - at least some of us thinks this is a good idea.

The big question remains, though: How to raise the money needed to run NoneHarm? Membership fee income is of course possible, but in the beginning the amount of members will be low.

BlackCats
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I just wanted to add my support and say that I thought this seemed very good, it has a very calm tone to it.

I think some vegans can appear quite hysterical sometimes (myself included) which of course is understandable and I think the public would be best served with balanced factual evidence rather than horrible images as they seem to be ignored anyway.
Sorry I am off on tangent hope this makes sense - just woken up

eve
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The big question remains, though, - and there's basically only one big question: How to raise the money needed to run NoneHarm? Membership fee income, is of course possible, but in the beginning the amount of members will be low.
There are quite a few organisations around in the field, and they all require an annual fee, to which nobody can object if they want to be members. As a member of several organisations, having periodic payments to them arranged through the bank utilising my visacard, is pretty painless. Some are monthly payments, and for the annual ones there is usually a reminder letter. It is something that of course has to be tackled, preferably on a more regular basis than what happens on VF. :)

Korn
Oct 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
I've just added a new user group called 'The Vegan Movement'. It's open for vegans only, not for people who plan to go vegan only or who eat vegan food (eg. for health reasons) but aren't really vegans. The purpose of the subforum that will be available to those who join this user group is to the discuss the current state of the vegan movement, and also the possible need for a new/alternative vegan organization built around the the ideas that are listed at noneharm.com.

This subforum is not meant as a secret, closed area where vegans can bash Peta, The Vegan Society, Animal Liberation Front or other groups they may not agree with, but as a place where we can discuss possible alternatives, what we think needs to be improved in the vegan movement as such, and why there may be a need for a new, independent organization - in short: what we would change if we would start a new organization from scratch.