PDA

View Full Version : Forum hints, tips & info

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Korn
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM
If you mainly visit the Global Forums (as opposed to the Local Forums), you can see them all, including sub-forums (sub-forums = forums inside other forums) by clicking on... Global Forums!

Korn
May 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hi,

New members need to follow the instruction in the welcome mail (yes, the one you get after you register.)

It's simple: you only have to click on a link, and you only have to do it once. (Some people forget this, and contact us with questions about problems with postings etc..)

Good luck!

Korn
May 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM
If you have a slow internet connection, or for some other reason want a really fast and simple overview of the threads, try the 'Archive' option at the bottom of the page...

Korn
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Using the little icon http://veganforum.com/forums/images/buttons/collapse_tcat.gif on the main forum page, you can expand/collapse parts of the front page if you don't want to see them. Your browser should remember this setting next time you visit our site.

Korn
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM
On the main page, when you see the newest posts in each subforum (by thread title), clicking on the name of the thread itself will take you to the first post in that thread.

If you rather want to go to the last post in the same thread, you need to click on the little blue graphic symbol shown just after the info about the post:

Korn
Nov 6th, 2004, 09:55 AM
If you want to manually quote parts of another post, you need to type [/quote] after the the part you want to quote, and [quote] before it.

Korn
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Here's how to create a link:

1) Click on the 'Create Link'-icon, which looks like this: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/images/editor/createlink.gif
2) Enter the text to be displayed for the link, for example "more info here", and click 'OK'.
3) Enter the URL of your link, for example http://www.veganforum.com, and then 'OK'.

That's it.

The link is always placed after what you have written, if you don't want it there, cut & paste it to wherever you want it.

If you don't know what a link is, here is an example. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670)

Any questions?
:)

(PS - the 'Create link' icon is only visible if you go 'Quote' or 'Post reply'.)

Gorilla
Dec 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hello Korn,

sorry if these sound like stupid questions, or if they've been answered elsewhere.

firstly i used to be able to jump to a particular page in any thread from the index, but i don't seem to be able to do this anymore. the page numbers used to be listed as links under the heading, and now they're gone. is this something to do with my settings, or is it no longer available?

secondly, is there a way of jumping to the last post *you read* in a particular thread? in some of the threads that are really long and popular, it's no good just going to the most recent post because i've often missed quite a few posts, and have to either start from the beginning or retrace back from the end until i find the last one i read!

Thanks! :)

Korn
Dec 14th, 2004, 06:51 AM
firstly i used to be able to jump to a particular page in any thread from the index, but i don't seem to be able to do this anymore. the page numbers used to be listed as links under the heading, and now they're gone.

Hmmm.... I don't have that problem here. Are others having the same problem?

secondly, is there a way of jumping to the last post *you read* in a particular thread?

I have discovered that when clicking on 'New Posts' - and then click on a thread in the list of threads containing new posts since your last visit, the software actually takes me to the page where the last unread post is. Have you tried that?

Gorilla
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Korn, i usually use the new posts list. if i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it. i can't seem to get anywhere in between. :confused:

i've been having a lot of trouble with the forum on my Mac at work which i assumed was because of the browser i have to use, and so put up with some of the 'difficulties' this causes with reading the forum! but now i'm also having the above-mentioned problems on my PC at home, which is why i wondered if my user settings were somehow affected: the Mac seems to reset a lot of my preferences, but i can't seem to find any way of changing these problems back at home.

sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it's not too major a problem - it would just make reading the forum quite a lot easier for me if i could sort it out! ;)

Korn
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM
if i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it.

I just read about others with similar problems on another board, so it might a bug or compatibility issues in the board software.

i've been having a lot of trouble with the forum on my Mac at work which i assumed was because of the browser i have to use
I use a Mac too... which browser (version) and OS (version) do you use?

Gorilla
Dec 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
i use Internet Explorer (Mac Edition) 4.5, i guess that's pretty old but i can't do anything about it!

as for the OS i'm not sure, how would i find out? i have a very old 'Power PC G3' Mac. the system overview says it's v8.1, if that means anything. :o

Korn
Dec 14th, 2004, 11:15 AM
If you want to stick with the old operating system on Mac (= before OSX), I'd try version 9.2.2 if I were you. Even better, OSX 10.3.4 or newer with Safari (which is included) or another modern browser like Opera, Firefox or Omniweb. OS 8.1 is rather old and I suspect this could cause the problems you have. Unfortunately, regarding your Windows-machine, I have no suggestions. Maybe others have?

Gorilla
Dec 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
thanks Korn, unfortunately i have no choice about updating my Mac system because it's for work. don't know why the problems are also affecting my PC at home, but it uses Windows 98 and i think i have the most recent update of Internet Explorer, whichever one that is, 6.5 or something.

if anyone has any ideas i'd be grateful :)

Korn
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
If i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it.

Please have a look at the pic below...

If you click on the blue little square with a 'v' inside (on the left side of the word 'Chat') you should be able to jump to the first new post since your last visit...

Also, when looking at the front page of the forum, where the last post in each forum is shown, clicking on the thread title itself should give the same result.

Korn
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Also, when looking at the front page of the forum, where the last post in each forum is shown, clicking on the thread title itself should give the same result.

...as illustrated in the pic below. Note: In some cases, holding the mouse over certain areas (for a couple of seconds) will reveal useful info about that object.

Gorilla
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks Korn :) that little 'v' symbol is not there when viewing on my Mac. not sure if it's there when i look at it at home, i'll have to check.

if i click on the thread title it now takes me to the last unread post, but i'm sure it wasn't doing that before :p

Korn
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
At the bottom of the page you'll find a list of threads about topic related to the one you are looking at. For example, if you're in the All About Tofu-Thread, the 'Similar Threads'-list should look like this:

gertvegan
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks korn.

The blue little square with a 'v' inside thingy is very helpful by the way. :)

cedarblue
May 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM
how can i get two peoples quotes in the same reply?

duh, sorry :o

Korn
May 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM
To make a paragrapgh get the quote-look, it needs to have [/quote]in the end, and [quote] in the beginning. You can either type this manually, or use the quote-icon (see pic) twice: click on it once before the quote, and once after.

The quote-icon is the icon on the right-most side of the upper row, inside the blue little block:

Korn
May 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Some of you may not have noticed the QuickLinks-menu (next to the Search-menu). It simplifies the navigation a bit. (It might behave and look different than on the pic below, depending on what OS and which browser you use).

Gorilla
May 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
thanks Korn, the Quick Links menu is useful, although it doesn't appear in the navigation bar when i'm viewing the forum on my Mac at work. but that reminded me, they upgraded my Internet Explorer to version 5 at work and the forum works so much better now than it did before (as i was complaining about in my earlier posts in this thread! ;) ) it's still not as good as on my PC at home but i don't get any of the weird stuff that i used to. :)

Gorilla
May 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Korn, i meant to ask a while back, but is there any chance of getting the Who's Online list at the bottom of the main page in alphabetical order like it used to be? i know it's in alphabetical order on the actual Who's Online page but i'd rather be able to check out everybody on the front page, and it's not very easy to read all jumbled up.

only a small point i know but it's been bothering me!! ;)

Korn
May 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Done. :)