PDA

View Full Version : 'Avoiding animal products as much as practical and possible'

MontyM
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:02 AM
To be vegan doesn't mean to always avoid animal products, it doesn't even mean to avoid animal products as much as possible, it means to avoid animal products as much as practical and possible.This is a relief. I sometimes struggle with the fact that I don't consider myself a "perfect" vegan. I'm doing the best I can and it is a lot more than most others do. When I look back on all of the pizza and ice cream I used to eat, I;m doing great these days.

I don't consciously eat animal products, but if I find I have eaten some, I don't go into shock. It is just "of the plate" next time.

We have just build a new house and are purchasing new furniture. Compromise. Compromise. Compromise. The leather couch is not going to happen, but that leather recliner sure looks good.....

Monty

BlackDog
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM
that leather recliner sure looks good.....

'Leather' clad animals look much better.

MontyM
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by MontyM http://www.veganforum.com/forums/enlighten/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=304750#post304750)
that leather recliner sure looks good.....

'Leather' clad animals look much better.

I agree 100%. No decisions have been made.

Korn
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
that leather recliner sure looks good...

No decisions have been made.

Hi MontyM,

I moved these posts from the 'The most vital vegan virtue'-thread over to this ('Not A Vegan Yet'-)section.

Buying non-leather furniture is totally 'possible', and buying something made of leather because it 'looks good' is not something one has to do because other solutions aren't 'practical and possible'...

eco
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
We have just build a new house and are purchasing new furniture. Compromise. Compromise. Compromise. The leather couch is not going to happen, but that leather recliner sure looks good.....
Is the compromise to do with your partner? Does your partner want the leather recliner or do you? If your partner isn't vegan and wants the recliner I can understand you wanting to compromise but if it's you that's considering it it's just not a very vegan thing to do. When people first become vegan they choose whether to keep their old leather goods or to get rid of them. Keeping them makes sense, especially if you don't have much money and can't afford to replace them, and it's more practical to keep large items of leather furniture, but by buying leather goods after you become vegan is just another way of continuing to contribute to the meat industry. You don't need the leather couch but the cow needs it's skin.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out MontyM and I hope what I've said doesn't come over all preachy - I really don't mean to preach, what you do is your own affair, but while it's practical to keep old leather stuff avoiding new leather stuff is completely possible.

Cornish
Jan 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I have to agree, avoiding buying new leather products is completely possible, however I do myself (it's my fiance's) have an antique leather settee that was given to us and my motorbike seat is also leather (as most are) however I would not go to a shop and buy a new leather couch or recliner. It is not a very vegan thing to do and I doubt that many vegans would agree with your decision however it is your decision not anyone elses (you and your family's).

But no I would not say that you should use the
"To be vegan doesn't mean to always avoid animal products, it doesn't even mean to avoid animal products as much as possible, it means to avoid animal products as much as practical and possible." to defend your decision to buy a leather recliner.

Whatever decision you decide on I am sure you will be hapy with it.