PDA

View Full Version : What I can do with these ingredients?

herbwormwood
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I have signed up for an organic vegetables delivery this week and this is what I am getting:

Carrots
Endive
Leeks
Onions
Parsnip
Potatoes
Savoy Cabbage
Swede

I know how to cook most of these indian style but I have no idea what to do with the savoy cabbage, endive or swede. Can you suggest what I can do with them. I like all curries but have never used these 3 in curry before.

indianvegan
Feb 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I know how to cook most of these indian style but I have no idea what to do with the savoy cabbage, endive or swede. Can you suggest what I can do with them. I like all curries but have never used these 3 in curry before.

Green leaves of Savoy Cabbage can be cooked in itself with tomatoes/green peas and green chilly. Cabbage can be used as stuffing/filling material. You can use it as Salad. If you do make wheat bulgar or any other grain bulgar, you can use it there. It can also be used in Upma (south Indian).

Swede is a root vegetable. You can either use it as Salad or go for Potato-Onion-Swede curry.

I have not seen Endive in India yet.

Manish Jain.

Christie
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hey. I have loads of ingredients but have no idea what to do with them. I thought if I listed some you lovely people might be able to think of a great mildish curry with some of the stuff I have to go with the naan breads in making. I have:

Chickpeas
Curry powder
Chilli powder
Garam Masala
Potatos
Peas
Red lentils
Kidney beans
Red onion, shallots, normal onion
Garlic, ground corriander, cumin seeds, cardomons.
Fresh mint, rosemary, oregano.
Coconut milk

indianvegan
Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:16 AM
http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/indian/

Christie, you can check above recipe link too.

Manish

herbwormwood
Jun 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hey. I have loads of ingredients but have no idea what to do with them. I thought if I listed some you lovely people might be able to think of a great mildish curry with some of the stuff I have to go with the naan breads in making. I have:

Chickpeas
Curry powder
Chilli powder
Garam Masala
Potatos
Peas
Red lentils
Kidney beans
Red onion, shallots, normal onion
Garlic, ground corriander, cumin seeds, cardomons.
Fresh mint, rosemary, oregano.
Coconut milk

Can you use a little oil, or vegan margarine?
If so I can tell you what I would do with these ingredients.
1. Peel, chop and fry the onions, shallots and 3 cloves of garlic (the little bits that make up the garlic bulb are the cloves)using about a tablespoon or more of oil or margarine, in a big pan or pot on medium heat on the stove top until they start to go clear.
2. Add half a teaspoon each of Curry powder
Chilli powder
Garam Masala, cumin seeds, and a quarter teaspoon cardamons and fry these for a few minutes with the onions and garlic. Do you have salt, I would add 1 teaspoon salt here too.
3. Are the chick peas and kidney beans tinned, if so I would add them and the lentils now with about 2 pints of water. Cook these for another half hour.
4. Chop the potatoes into dice sized cubes and add these to the pot with the peas, cocunut and chopped fresh mint. Add some more water if things seem to be sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Continue cooking on a low heat until the potatoes, beans and chick peas are at the consistency you like and a thick sauce has formed.

as for the rosemary and oreano I never use these in curry, they are more suited to italian dishes, but maybe the other VF curry experts will suggest.

Christie
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much. Im going to make this tonight. Ive made two currys this week and none of them have tasted nice. Threes a charm right? Thrid time lucky? Haha *fingers crossed*

mandycoot
Jun 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm going to make some of the receipes too! I impulsively bought a bunch of spices at the Indian grocery store and had no idea what to do with them until now, haha.

herbwormwood
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks so much. Im going to make this tonight. Ive made two currys this week and none of them have tasted nice. Threes a charm right? Thrid time lucky? Haha *fingers crossed*

You can't fail with my recipe.
It will be delicious.
Unfortunately I find curries don't taste too good without salt so please allow yourself 1 teaspoonful in this recipe, and the oil works wonders too.

Christie
Jun 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
You can't fail with my recipe.
It will be delicious.
Unfortunately I find curries don't taste too good without salt so please allow yourself 1 teaspoonful in this recipe, and the oil works wonders too.

Haha I failed allright. It tasted bad. There was way too much water. I was only making it for me so I didnt put a lot of stuff in it, but it never came into my head that it would be waaay to much water. So I ended up having to take some out, which I think took a lot of the flavour out with it!! So then I tried to add more chilli powder etc but didnt know how much to add... Im gunna make it again. I havent had a proper main meal in a week! My cooking skills have gone right out the window this week.

Christina
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Ok I have searched loads of recipes out there and I dont seem to have all the ingredients needed to make most of them. But what I do have is:

Chana Dahl lentils
Onions
Chopped Tomatoes
Mustard Seeds
Tomatoes
Cumin Seeds
Curry Powder
Cardoman Pods
Ground Ginger
Cinnamon Sticks
Garam Masala
Ground Cumin
Ground Corriander
Potatoes plus new potatoes

I think the one thing I seem to be missing from most recipes is fresh ginger. My mum threw it away!! Im looking to make a sort of stodgy mess of dahl =)