PDA

View Full Version : Baked Beans recipes

Pages : [1] 2

basteq
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Someone has a tasty recipe and would like to share it with a nice guy (which I am)?

One thing. I won't find any molases where I live so preferably please post a recipes that don't call for that.

uww27225
Oct 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM
An easy way to make black beans is to take a can of pinto beans, bbq sauce (read the label), a little vegan brown sugar, garlic and some onion. Adjust the amounts to your tasting, then bake uncovered for about an hour at 350 degrees. It's not really home-made I guess, but it's really easy and good. If you don't want it sweet at all you can leave out the brown sugar.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
even though this recipe has molasses i am going to post it because it is good.

boston baked beans

2 c dried navy beans
8 c water
1/2 t sea salt
2 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 c diced onion
3 T rice or barley miso
1/4 c molasses
2 t dry mustard
1/2 t white or black pepper

cover the beans with plenty of water and soak for 6 to 10 hours, or bring to a boil with 6 cups water, simmer 2 minutes, and soak for 1 to 2 hours.
drain the beans and place in a 4 quart pot along with 8 cups fresh water. bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
add the salt and simmer 15 minutes more. drain the beans, reserving the broth, and set aside.
preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
heat the oil in a 3 quart pot over medium heat. add the onins and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are soft and translucent.
combine the miso and molasses with 1 1/4 c of the reserved bean broth, and add to the pot along with the mustard, pepper, and drained beans.
bring the mixture to a simmer, and then transfer to a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish.
bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes and adding more broth if necessary.
serve hot. refrigerate any leftovers for up to 5 days.

PainterLady
Dec 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I adapted this recipe out of Delicious Food for a Healthy Heart by Joanne Stepaniak, I suggest to anyone to buy her cookbooks, they are the best.
Easy Baked Beans (I usually triple this recipe because the older it gets, the better it tastes)
1tbspn olive oil
1 large onion
1 tspn garlic, crushed
1/4 cup tomato paste (I use ketchup if I'm out of paste)
2 tblspn soy sauce
2 Tblspns molasses( I add a little more because I love it so much)
1 tspn yellow mustard
1 3/4 cups cooked navy beans ( have used every bean, even pinto and loved it)
saute onion and garlic until translucent
Combine all ingredients except the beans, mix until smooth, add onions and garlic mix and then gently add beans. Spoon gently into lightly oiled casserole dish. Cover tightly with lid or foil, Bake 350 F for 30 minutes. (I bake it about an hour when I triple the recipe)
It tastes the best reheated the next day because all the flavors are soaked in then. It is amazingly good!

fiamma
Dec 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Mmm, thanks PainterLady!! I've always wondered how you make baked beans... only thing is I've never seen navy beans in the shops. I know I can use any bean but I'm curious. What do they look like?

PainterLady
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Your very welcome Fiamma! You can use any white bean. Northern beans are best in my opinion. Here is what they look like:
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Food_Guide/Navy_Beans.htm

fiamma
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks, I'll try it with cannellini beans. I love your new avatar BTW, you're rockin'!!!

nervine
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
courtesy of Lydia_Sorrow:

- tin of baked beans
- tin of chopped tomatoes OR a can of vegetable soup
- portion of cooked rice
- a couple of potato waffles

throw everything except the waffles together in a medium sized pot and heat on a low fire, grill the potatoes and add some to the mix and have some by the side

Thanks to Lydia for this delicious recipe! Hope you don't mind.

Beanie121
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ive done this one with baked beans
1 can beans
1 small onion chopped
1 portion of wholemeal rice

Cook rice in pan and when almost done add the chopped onion and tin of beans. Keep on a low heat until onion has gone soft and then serve. Always really fills me up :)

Otter_
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
A word of caution from Boston (aka bean town) ... Boston baked beans are generally not vegan. They add a piece of pork fat in every tin. :mad:

Umbriel
Sep 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Curried Beans

Enough for two adults and a little one.

2 onions
1-2 apples
2Tbsp oil
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
1/2 cup water
1 (450g) can baked beans

Peel and chop the onions and apples into small cubes. Mix with the oil in a small frypan and saute until golden brown. Stir in the curry powder and cook. Add bouillon powder and water to the browned onion mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add beans, and bring to boil. Simmer until it thickens. taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Serve with bread, potatoes or rice.

If I have left over beans and bean cooking stock I use that instead of a can of beans. I do add a little tomato paste.

Frosty
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I love whackin in some vegemite and pepper when making my beans. Yum! :)

emzy1985
Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Hmm not tried that before Frosty! I have a very limited choice at work but they have beans, vegemite and pepper hehe! Yay so having that on toast this morning muhahaha!

My fav thing to do with baked beans is to mix them with releat veggie mince and have with sauted potatos for breakfast! Lots of ketchup! YUM YUM YUM!!!

Russ
Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Beans on toast

One of my favourite recipes.

1. Put two slices of (medium sliced "best of both", or failing that white) bread in a toaster.
2. Put beans in a pan.
3. Heat the beans up (on a hob). Use a low setting like 3 or 4.
4. While that's going you should set the toaster to about 2 or 3 and turn it on.
5. When the toast pops out, spread some pure / other vegan margarine on top of the toast (using a knife).
6. Cut the two pieces of toast. You may do this in any fashion you like. Personally I prefer to cut the toast into triangles. It just seems to taste better that way.
7. When the beans start to bubble, stir them with a spoon (or fork. I tend to use a fork cause then I eat with it, and there's no additional washing up.) The beans will calm down and continue to heat up.
8. When they continue to bubble even after you stir them, you can tip / scrape the beans on top of the toast.
9. Now you can eat it.

*takes a bow*
Thankyou thankyou. I live to give.

emzy1985
Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Bravo ;)

furrytips
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Chilli Beans
1 onion chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch ginger root, peeled and chopped
chilli powder, to your own taste
1/2 can tomatoes
1 can baked beans
fresh coriander or parsley, optional
To Cook
heat some oil in a pan and fry onions until golden
throw in garlic, ginger and chilli fry for another minute
add tomatoes, let simmer for 5 mins
add beans, cook for a couple more mins
serve sprinkled with herbs if liked

very good with rice or mashed potato and green salad :D

furrytips
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM
and i often throw in canned, drained sweetcorn too, yummy and colourful

Gorilla
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
i make a simple pasta sauce with a tin of baked beans, a tin of chopped tomatoes (or use fresh if you prefer), some sliced veggie sausages (Redwood ready to eat sage & marjoram sausages are really good for this) and lots of herbs and garlic. mix them all together and heat through - yummy :)

furrytips
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM
mmmmm...... i like the sound of that!

Umbriel
Sep 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I love whackin in some vegemite and pepper when making my beans. Yum! :)

I tried this Yum! Yum! Yum!

I will have to try furrytips Chilli Beans. They sound good.

Maisiepaisie
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Curried Beans

Enough for two adults and a little one.

2 onions
1-2 apples
2Tbsp oil
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
1/2 cup water
1 (450g) can baked beans

Peel and chop the onions and apples into small cubes. Mix with the oil in a small frypan and saute until golden brown. Stir in the curry powder and cook. Add bouillon powder and water to the browned onion mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add beans, and bring to boil. Simmer until it thickens. taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Serve with bread, potatoes or rice.

If I have left over beans and bean cooking stock I use that instead of a can of beans. I do add a little tomato paste.
Just made this for tea and it was lovely, thanks for posting. The only changes I made was to add an extra apple and I used 3 teaspoons of curry powder. It was a big hit with the kids too!

Aradia
May 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Has anybody frozen home-made baked beans?

How did they come through the ordeal?

Beans, beans good for your heart
The more you eat the more you ....

Name 5434
Jan 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
hi,
anyone know what the current vegan status is with the following baked bean brands:-
HP
Branston
Heinz
Crosse & Blackwell
(& any others you care to add?)

cheers.

Risker
Jan 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Branston (http://premierv2.eclipse-creative.co.uk/product_details.aspx?pid=595&bid=68)
Heinz (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=442868)

Crosse & Blackwell and Branston are the same beans, owned by Premier foods. I've not seen HP beans.

Most supermarket own brand baked beans are okay too as far as I've seen.

There's a load of product lists here - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19381

Name 5434
Jan 8th, 2010, 11:25 PM
risker - many thanks - its the mention of the catch all "flavouring", listed as one of the ingredients, that always leaves the issue open.