PDA

View Full Version : Banana Dilemma

Pisces
May 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I hope I didn't just jinx myself from making a previous post about only being able to eat bananas cut up in grains (usually with nuts or seeds). :o

I've realised that I may prefer bananas (cut up/mixed in grains) before they're completely yellow/ripe.

I've heard of people freezing them (though usually for smoothie bases or something). I would rather not let these bananas (that someone didn't want) go to waste.

With that said, does anyone have ideas of simple ways that I could try eating them. I was thinking maybe adding nutbutter of some sort, but also freezing them/cutting them up. If that's possible should I put the nutbutter on before I freeze them (and let it be a frozen 'coating' on the banana pieces) or should I spread the nutbutter on the pieces (after the pieces are frozen)? Or is either/or possible? :confused:

If worst comes to worst, I have a friend that I'm sure would be able to use them.

fiamma
May 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Pisces, I don't understand your question :confused:

From my experience once you've frozen a banana it goes really soggy, so you need to put it in a smoothie or something, or maybe a cake?

If you want a simple way to eat fresh banana try mashing one banana with a tablespoon of tahini and a teaspoon of miso. Makes a good spread for toast.

cedarblue
May 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
make banana icecream by peeling banana first (always!!), freezing it/them then put them in the blender and you have banana icecream.

are you saying you have a glut of bananas you need to eat up?
dont forget that an unripe banana ferments in the gut and can cause bloating and wind.....

herbwormwood
May 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
If I have a lot of ripe bananas I make fabulous and delicious banana curry (google for recipes, but mine is fairly basic with bananas, spices, onions, soya yoghurt and optional cashew nuts).
I also like them mashed up on rice cakes, sliced on cereal and I like them baked in the oven or microwave. They give me stomach ache if they are not very ripe so I always wait till they get spots.

piggy
May 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
i like fried bananas! just slice in halves, fry in some hot oil/marge, pour on the brown sugar/chocolate while frying! you can add cinnamon too! just keep cooking until the banana is golden brown on both sides, and the sugar/choc has melted. yum!

Pisces
May 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I found a delicious solution, which I tried for the first time this morning. :D I peeled the bananas, put them in a bag, and froze them yesterday. This morning I cut one up, mixed it with refrigerated (leftover) brown rice and peanuts. With that I had steamed green beans (separately, of course). I'm glad I found a way to enjoy bananas again. :)

Thank you to those of you who gave me feedback. :)

eve
May 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I love ripe bananas, but unfortunately where I live the price has increased to around $5/kilo which is too expensive for me.

veggiepark
May 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM
As a child here at the Northeastern US. i visited the New Jersey Amusement Boardwalks at the coast numerous times. One item i ate was a choclate covered frozen bannana with nuts. They were eaten while the bannana was still frozen. I imagine the coated the bannana with chocolate and chopped nuts before freezing.

TheBringer
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't heat the bananas up. Maybe they would taste good or you could put them in something, but they wouldn't be very good for you anymore. Do you have a banana tree? Is that why you have so many ripe bananas?

I would eat like three bananas a day I if I had too many. I usually eat them whole and ripe. I guess you could freeze them, but I've never done that. Or you could dehydrate them with other fruit and some nuts to make a crunchy snack.

I don't want to scare anyone but a raw restraunt I went to in Santa Monica, USA (Juliano's Raw) said that bananas have been genetically modified or something. That they were once hard, and full of seeds Like the mass of seeds in dragon fruit (Pitaya).

herbwormwood
Jun 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Bananas have not been genetically modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana

or google gm banana