PDA

View Full Version : "Vegan babies are immoral"

Pages : [1] 2

GreenEnvy
May 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
How do you respond when someone tells you that raising your baby as a vegan is wrong?

Odinsfury
May 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time responding. If you can walk away and tell them you don't want an argument, I think that's the best thing to do. It's obvious that when someone makes a statement such as this they are looking for an argument, so one option is not to give it to them. On the flip side, if you don't mind educating people you can always explain to them why they are wrong. I just get tired of justifying myself because most of the time people don't believe or care about what I have to say.

puffin
May 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I agree Odinsfury, dont bother wasting your time on stupid people who wont listen anyway. I mean your only not feeding them dairy, eggs and meat, its not a crime. With all this talk about feeding kids crap like McDs etc, i dont think anyone has to right to say someone is wrong to feed there baby breast milk, then fruit, veg, lentils etc

fiamma
May 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I guess it depends who's asking. Ask them why they think it's wrong, then use the info you have to put across your point of view.

Tigerlily
May 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM
What annoys me are people who say children shouldn't be vegan yet they feed their own kids fast food, sugary snacks, and barely any fresh produce. :rolleyes:

applepie
May 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Usually people try to tell me that it's not fair not to give children a choice about having animal products or not. Well, it's just the same the other way round, isn't it? Omnis don't give their children the choice of not having animal products. Simple as that.

fiamma
May 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Excellent point Tigerlily. I saw a couple with a child in the supermarket the other day; their trolley was laden with meat, cakes, biscuits and convenience foods. Not a piece of fruit or veg in sight.

Odinsfury
May 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Excellent point Tigerlily. I saw a couple with a child in the supermarket the other day; their trolley was laden with meat, cakes, biscuits and convenience foods. Not a piece of fruit or veg in sight.

It's funny how I find myself looking in the shopping carts of other people at the store now.

Usually people try to tell me that it's not fair not to give children a choice about having animal products or not. Well, it's just the same the other way round, isn't it? Omnis don't give their children the choice of not having animal products. Simple as that.

You're absolutely right about that. It's as if making their kids eat meat from the time they can start eating it isn't a choice, it's just something you do. The moment we deprive our children of animal product we're denying them a choice. It's a good thing I'm not a violent person, people frustrate me deeply sometimes.

absentmindedfan
May 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
When I am pregnant/when I'm a mum I'm going to prepare pamphlets with info about vegan nutrition during pregnancy, breastfeeding and childhood and the health benefits of it, compared to omni diet. When they ask me about being vegan I'll hand them one, smile and walk away.

But then I have a bit of a reputation for being aggressive and wilful (all lies ;) ), so I doubt anyone will dare ask!

Robert
May 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I think you should raise your child any way you want. There are many cultures and many religions that impose dietary restrictions on their followers and we do not judge them for what they do or do not eat.

I think raising your child vegan is infinitely better than raising them on the junk food and snacks that so many parents are feeding their kids on these days.

Korn
May 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
How do you respond when someone tells you that raising your baby as a vegan is wrong?

I'm a father, and have never heard that question - but I would have looked very surprised and asked why they would think it's wrong.

Depending on how much time I'd got, I'd possibly also explain why I think it's wrong to raise babies on meat and dairy products... :)

Heartsease
May 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I've never received comments of that sort either. One look at my healthy cheerful toddler would've been enough to silence anyone. Hmm....maybe that's why there were never any comments....they all dried up in a blast of vegan wellness? :p

piggy
May 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
i've had ppl say lost of times to me: "you can't deprive your child of the choice to eat meat, it's not fair", as soon as they got to know i was vegan...and i'm VERY far away from having kids..so go figure. i wonder how their mind work..

Purple
May 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM
A mate of mine from work tried to start an argument about Veganism, and got very angry when he asked whether I'd raise my (theoretical) kids as Vegans, and I said yes.

I mean really quite uptight :) He said that it was really unhealthy and that there's things in meat kids *need*. I asked him what it was, and he said he couldn't remember :rolleyes:

I told him to email me it when he finds out...

...he still hasn't, that was 3 months ago ;)

Korn
May 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Maybe he saw this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24).

cookey
May 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've never had anyone say this to me, but I think I would find it hard to not put them right if they did. I've had a few people question me about feeding the kids vegan, but as soon as they realise that you know about nutrition, they back down. To me being vegan is part of making the world a better place so if I don't explain myself to people who find it hard to understand, it sort of loses it's point.
I think the main issue is that people feel children are missing out on treats.
I'm interested in why you ask the question GreenEnvy?

BlackDog
May 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I think you should raise your child any way you want.

Does that include giving a baby a good shake when it cries? Bashing kids when they misbehave? Sending a primary age child to school with only a packet of jelly crystals for lunch (I've seen that)?
Surely 'society' (all of us collectively) have a say in how children are raised?

tipsy
May 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
raising a vegan child is no different than raising a child within the guidelines of a particular religion.

it is simply following your views.

people who think its immoral are just ignorant to the details of veganism:( .

all i will say when people question me about my (future) children being vegan is .... hmmm well at least mine eat (& like) thier vegetables and dont have behavioral issues (ehhh hem).
:D

Korn
May 11th, 2007, 06:14 AM
it is simply following your views.

Sure - and check the facts. :)

people who think its immoral are just ignorant to the details of veganism .

They may be ignorant, but IMHO - most of all, they are mis-informed (or not informed at all).

BlackDog
May 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I just realised that, with the addition of one letter, the title of this thread would be 'Vegan babies are immortal'!
It's amazing what a bottle of Strongbow will do! :D

sugarmouse
May 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
What makes them think raising a child to eat animal products isnt? If choice is the basis of their argument, choice means both ways.

Robert
May 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Does that include giving a baby a good shake when it cries? Bashing kids when they misbehave? Sending a primary age child to school with only a packet of jelly crystals for lunch (I've seen that)?
Surely 'society' (all of us collectively) have a say in how children are raised?

Please read the comment in the context of the discussion at hand.

As I stated, quite clearly, vegan kids are most likely eating better than other kids who are now being fed a diet of snacks and fried foods (which I see a lot up here).

The other issues you raise are for a separate thread.

pat sommer
May 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
the latest guidelines for babies are nearly vegan anyway..... with breastmilk for at least a full year.

I have always said that my little one could have whatever she wanted to eat when she was old enough to know where it came from... she's always chosen vegan!

We don't make kids vegan; we just set them a good example

tipsy
May 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
exactly... when my (theoretical) kids are old enough to buy thier own food, they may purchase whatever they want, but while im providing for them i refuse to support animal cruelty. plain & simple. :D

Tigerlily
May 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM
We don't make kids vegan; we just set them a good example

:) That's an EXCELLENT way of putting it, Pat. Even though I'm still young and years away of having my own kids, my mom is already bugging me that I shouldn't raise my kids vegan.