Pages : [1] 2

casey_veggoddes
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:50 AM
If anyone has a recipe for...

blueberry muffins
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
GOOD "meat"balls
anything using polenta (I have a whole batch in my fridge)
and anything using fresh cranberries (also have lots of these in my fridge)

I'd REALLY appreciate it! I've searched and searched and haven't found any good vegan recipes for these things. :(

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:07 AM
MY GOD! I wish I had a blueberry muffin recipe...and a white chocolate and macadamia cookie recipe

JasperKat
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM
blueberry muffins :(

The closest I have is:

*Blue Banana Muffins* 3 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c dry sweetener
1/2 c oil
1 1/2 - 2 c soy milk
2 mashed bananas
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1 c blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together flour, baking powder, and sweetener. Add the oil, milk, bananas, flax seeds, and blueberries. Mix gentlt until just mixed. Spoon into oiled muffin tins and bake for 35-40 min until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 12
-JK

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:13 PM
If anyone has a recipe for...

blueberry muffins
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
GOOD "meat"balls
anything using polenta (I have a whole batch in my fridge)
and anything using fresh cranberries (also have lots of these in my fridge)

I'd REALLY appreciate it! I've searched and searched and haven't found any good vegan recipes for these things. :(

well, it's a little late and you probably don't need these recipes anymore, but who knows when you will again, so i'll share the recipes i know of. this one is an italian polenta dish similar to lasagne called pasticcio.

STEWED MUSHROOMS UNDER HERBED POLENTA
2 1/2T olive oil
2 mekium leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced thinly in 2in strips
2lb assorted mushrooms, sliced
1/2c vegetable broth
1t salt
1/2t freshly ground black pepper
1/4c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3T soy cream
1 1/2c grated soy cheese
spread polenta into a dish and cut into 2 inch squares.
in a very large, deep skillet or stewpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. add the leeks and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about 10 minutes. add the broth, salt, and pepper. reduce the heat to medium-low. simmer, uncovered until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 30 minutes. stir in the parsley and soy cream.
preheat the oven to 350 degrees. with olive oil, lightly oil a 10x8x2 inch or comparable 2-2 1/2 quart shallow baking dish.
arrange half of the polenta squares in the prepared baking dish. evenly spread half of the mushroom stew on top of the squares. sprinkle with half the soy cheese if using. top with the remaining polenta squares. add a final later of the remaining mushrooms and top with the remaining cheese if using. bake for 20-30 minutes until heated through.

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I'm working on pecan pie - I even bought the ingredients last weekend. I just haven't had time for a play. I made it last year and it was ok, but the filling wasn't the right consistency.

I like my blueberry muffins recipe, but not sure what other people think of it.
Hmmm.....my link won't work....hang on......

DancingWillow
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Mmmm, pecan pie! I want a slice right now!! Cherry, please post the recipe when you've perfected it:D

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
this recipe is from the book Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson

POLENTA-STUFFED RED BELL PEPPERS
4c water
1 1/2t salt, plus more for seasoning
1T corn oil
1 1/2c yellow cornmeal
4 large bell peppers
1/3c oil-packed or rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
3T olive oil
1/2c minced onion
1 garlic clove
1T minced fresh parsley leaves
1t minced fresh basil leaves
freshly ground pepper
in a large saucepan combine the water, salt and corn oil and bring ot a boil over high heat. reduce the heat to medium and gradually whisk in the cornmeal, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. cook, stirring, until the polenta begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 20 minutes. remove from the heat and set aside.
preheat the oven to 350 degrees. slice off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. plunge the peppers into a pot of boiling water and cook slightly softened, about 3 minutes. remove from the water with tongs and set aside, cut side down, to drain.
drain the sun-dried tomatoes, chop, and set aside
heat the loive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
in a large bowl combine the polenta, onion mixture, tomatoes, parsley, basil, and salt & pepper to taste. mix well. fill the peppers with the polenta mixture and place upright in a baking dish. add a few tablespoons of water to the baking dish, cover, and bake until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is hot, about 30 minutes. serve hot.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
i like all blueberry muffin recipes

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM
blueberry muffins (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganCakes/fruitmuffins.htm)

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Mmmm, pecan pie! I want a slice right now!! Cherry, please post the recipe when you've perfected it:D

Hi Dancing Willow :) Will do.....but it may take some time :o

catmogg
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Oi Cherry, you little tease the link doesnt work... but i did find these on your site. MMMMMMM....

Blueberry/Fruit Muffins

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/Photos/blueberry%20muffins.jpg
Makes:12 muffinsOven Temperature:200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6Cooking Time:25 minutes

Ingredients
275g (10oz) self raising flour
175g (6oz) sugar
1 tsp baking powder
100ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
200ml (8 fl oz) soya milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 jar, tin or small punnet of fruit! Summer fruits and cherries are good. These ones are made with 125g of blueberries.

Instructions
1) Sift flour, baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
2) Stir in the sugar and almonds.
3) Whisk the vegetable oil, soya milk and vanilla in a jug and quickly stir it into the flour mixture.
4) Quickly stir in the fruit. The total stirring should take less than 30 seconds and it's fine if it's really lumpy.
5) Divide the mixture between non-stick muffin tins or muffin cases.
6) Bake at 200ºC/400ºF for 20-30 minutes or until risen and cooked through.

DancingWillow
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM

I'm sure it will be more than well worth the wait:D

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The pecan pie one? Not yet perfected :o The problem is, I can't really remember what pecan pie is supposed to be like, so I think I'm just aiming for something with pecans that tastes nice (and looks nice) :D

RedWellies
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Cherry, I like blueberry muffins, will you come here and bring me some you've made?

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganCakes/fruitmuffins.htm

Does this work? Weird if it doesn't. Well at least I fixed the prob with the page itself :rolleyes:

catmogg
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
That works. :)

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I would gladly make you some muffins RedWellies (especially considering your unfortunate circumstances of having no cake maker in the house!!!) but I'm afraid that driving to Herefordshire is *slightly* too far for such a mission ;)

Blueshark
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Damn, pecan pie is my ABSOLUTE FAVE dessert!!

Look forward to your recipe

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
i have two different muffin recipes i use depending on whether i want them to be more light and desert-like or dense and hearty.

this is the lighter one, from Natural Foods Cookbook: Vegetarian Dairy Free Cuisine by Mary Estella
MY BASIC MUFFIN RECIPE
2c whole wheat pastry flour
1c cornmeal
1T baking powder
1t cinnamon (optional)
1/8t sea salt
1/2c maple syrup
1/2c corn oil
3/4c water
4oz tofu
preheat oven to 375 degrees. sift dry ingredients in a large bowl. puree liquid ingredients together in a blender with tofu until creamy smooth. add wet to dry, don't over-mix. if batter is too dry add 1/4c extra water. some flours absorb more liquid than others. oil muffin tin and spoon in batter. bake for 20 minutes.
variations:
Blueberry - add 1c washed berries
Cranberry-Nut - add 1 1/2c berries, 1/2c toasted, chopped walnuts
Raisin-Bran - 1/4c bran, 1c raisins soaked in 3/4c orange juice. omit water.
*substitute white unbleached flour for cornmeal or whole wheat flour for a lighter muffin.
*substitute barley malt syrup for the maple syrup

this is my more dense muffin recipe from the Tassajara Bread Book:
WHOLE WHEAT DRIED FRUIT MUFFINS
2c whole wheat flour
3/4t salt
2t baking powder
1/2c dried berries
1/4c oil
1/4c molasses
2c soy milk or water
preheat oven to 400 degrees. combine the dry ingredients. in a seperate bowl combine the wet ingredients. fold the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together with as few strokes as possible, just until the flour is moistened, leaving a few lumps. spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.

RedWellies
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM
(especially considering your unfortunate circumstances of having no cake maker in the house!!!)
:D OK, next time I come to the Lake District?? Where are you up there?

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM
have you guys ever had derby pie? it's just like pecan pie but it has a little bit of whiskey and some chocolate in it. it would be great if you could also come up with a recipe for that. you would probably be something of a hero.;)

RedWellies
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
have you guys ever had derby pie? you would probably be something of a hero.;)
There's a challenge for Cherry. I bet Mr Flibble's on the case too.

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM
:D OK, next time I come to the Lake District?? Where are you up there?

I'll send you a map ;)

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM
There's a challenge for Cherry. I bet Mr Flibble's on the case too.

I'm up for a bit of friendly competition ;) I think the whisky is more up my street though :D I seem to be stockpiling! People keep buying me bottles and I don't open them cos I don't know if they're vegan or not. :rolleyes:

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ooooo! i found one! i've never tried it so if it isn't any good i apologize in advance.

ESTELLA'S PECAN PIE
filling:
1/2c dried apricots
1/2c dates, pitted
2c apple juice
2T agar flakes
pinch of sea salt
1 1/2T kuzu dissolved in 1/4c water
1t vanilla
2c roasted pecans
crust:
1c unbleached white flour
1/2c whole wheat pastry flour
pinch of sea salt
1/4c oil
3-4T cold apple juice
pinch of coriander or cardamom for extra flavor (optional)
rinse dried fruits; combine with juice, agar and sea salt in a saucepan. bring to a boil; lower flame and simmer 20 minutes. sift flours and salt for crust. rub in oil until flour forms pea-sized balls. dribble cold juice over flour. press with a fork until dough forms a ball. knead gently 1-2 minutes to smooth texture. divide dough in half. refrigerate 1/2 hour. roll out between waxed paper 2 inches larger than pie pan. place into pie pan and prick all over with a fork to prevent warping. prebake crust in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until light gold. pecans can be roasted at the same time, but watch them carefully - pecans burn easily after 10 minutes. when the dried fruit is plump and agar is dissolved add kuzu and stir until clear. add vanilla. puree fruit mixture in a blender or food processor until creamy smooth. save 1/2c of whole pecans to garnish top of pie. chop the rest and mix with fruit puree. spoon mixture into baked pie crust. arrange 1/2c pecans in design on top of pie. allow to cool. this pie should slice neatly and still be creamy.