PDA

View Full Version : The best brownies!

Spencer
May 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I've been using this recipe for a while (adapted by me from one off a website) and it makes the best brownies I've ever tasted (vegan or otherwise). They're extremely moist and fudgy :)

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup cold water
12 oz extra firm silken tofu

1 cup dark chocolate
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup sunflower oil
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped hazlenuts

Directions
In a blender puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth. Pour it into a sauce pan, and wisk constantly over low heat until it thickens (it should not boil, if it starts to turn the heat down). This takes about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, vanilla and sugar. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.

Preheat your oven to 350F/180C.

When mixture is cool enough mix in the oil. (It can take about 20-30 minutes to cool, give it a stir once in awhileand stick it in the fridge to make it cool faster).

Sift the 1 1/2 cups of flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture with the hazlenuts until well combined and smooth.

Spread evenly in a greased baking pan for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

yum
May 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Mmmmmmmmm sounds yummy
i like to copy and paste recipes and this will be one them:D
thanks spencer:)

cedarblue
May 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
do you HAVE to let in cool inbetween??

its just a question based on impatience really!

Spencer
May 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well the original recipe says that, and I haven't tried it without. I've let it go to lukewarm before and it's turned out ok. I guess it wouldn't make too much of a difference :)

Orange-powered
May 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
these sound really good, unfortunately I dont have a blender :( but I like the idea of using silken tofu..

absentmindedfan
May 14th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Neither do I orangepowered, I use a fork and plenty of elbow grease! This is v. similar to a recipe I use and 'forking' is fine as long as you're sure there aren't any lumps.

Spencer
May 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I think a hand whisk would also work fine, but it might take a while to do.

missbettie
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
These are wonderful! I made them for thanksgiving and everyone loved them, before long they were gone! Of course, i didn't tell anyone there was tofu in them....I think they get better after a couple of days too! mmm

Astrid
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
What should extra firm tofu look like? I mean, how do I recognise it in the store?

missbettie
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What should extra firm tofu look like? I mean, how do I recognise it in the store?

This one requires silken, I have never seen extra firm silken and that is kinda redundant isn't it?

Astrid
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, I meant to write "extra firm silken tofu". It kind of sounded like an oxymoron, so I was puzzled.

Spencer
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Apparently...

"There are two main kinds of tofu: silken and regular. Silken tofu, also called soft, silk or Japanese-style tofu has a softer consistency than regular tofu and will fall apart if not handled carefully. You may notice that silken tofu, unlike regular tofu, is sometimes packaged in aseptic boxes that do not require refrigeration. Because of this, silken tofu is sometimes sold in a different section of grocery stores than regular tofu, which is packed in water and requires refrigeration. Both silken and regular tofu can be found in soft, medium, firm and extra firm consistencies. They are made from the same ingredients, but they are processed slightly differently, and are not interchangeable in a recipe."

Astrid
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Okay, then. :) But if I can't find extra firm silken tofu, would it be okay to use regular silken?

Spencer
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
The one I've used is Mori-Nu firm silken style, and that works well :)

Astrid
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Great. Can't wait to try this recipe!

KrissStress
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
how long do you let these typically stay in the oven? The 45 minute instruction can sometimes leave them a bit hard...

Spencer
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
The recipe says: "Spread evenly in a greased baking pan for 35-40 minutes, OR until a knife comes out clean", not 45 minutes. Keep checking them every so often :)

KrissStress
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
my mistake :)

clare155
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Yum I made these today and they are lush!! I topped it with a peanut butter frosting from vegweb http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15134.0

Really lovely but very rich! Thanks for the recipe :)