PDA

View Full Version : Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

Pages : 1 [2]

mooli magic
May 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, they're just what I was after.

I really appreciate your comments and reasoning- I agree that it's not always black and white, there's a lot more to supporting an organisation than simply giving them your money every now and again. It's interesting to see those who have chosen a local charity to support (or one which operates in their local area) and those that have chosen things that do work worldwide. I don't mean that in a criticising 'if-you-support-locally-you're-smallminded' kind of way, or even conversely 'worldwide-supporters-obviously-don't-think-about-"charity begins at home"-way'. I think it's really swings and roundabouts, and as long as you've made a reasoned choice that you're happy with, that's great.

I remember Vegfam now- I'm pretty sure I saw their ad in the Vegan Society mag. Their work seems like something I'd really like to support actually.

I guess that as vegans we probably tend to support quite a few organisations anyway through buying from veggie/vegan catalogues..and of course, every little helps.

*Ugh, that made me shudder...isn't that TESCOs tagline:(*

emzy1985
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm a life paid up member of animal aid. I chose them because I think they cover issues some of us forget about which aren't meat related. I.E horse racing and the lack of tax being paid by the shooting industry. They also do fun things for us to raise money, like sponsored walks and runs etc. On a personal note, I like reading OUTRAGE each month and also the discounts I get at veg/vegan friendly places and online with my Animal Aid card.
I used to support Greenpeace but since becomming vegan I've decided that a charity claiming to support enviromentalism, yet doesn't support a vegan diet is not worth my time or effort. I sometimes donate to IFAW and other animal conservation/sanctuary charities aswell.

cobweb
Jun 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Animal Aid
Hillside Animal Sanctuary
Viva
Vegan Society

BlackCats
Jun 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I belong to Animal Aid, Viva, Vegan Society as well.

I have given donations to Dr Hadwen Trust and Hillside Animal Sanctuary but do not belong to them.
I also have given donations to Uncaged which is a charity that campaigns against animal experimentation.

When I am earning more than I am at minute I will definitely donate monthly to these three on a regular basis. Also I will resume my donation to Amnesty.

dreama
Jun 30th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I belong to the vegan society. They are setting up a group called 'vegans for life' which is to cater for older vegans, which I find quite impressive as a lot of groups tend to target younger people. This is all very well but I older, terminally ill and disabled people need to be targeted as well. I've offered to braille things for Animal Aid but they don't even seem interested. I think it's stupid really as I think that disabled people would have a lot to offer an animal rights group. Apart from the animals themselves who can't very well form their own groups, The disabled and terminally ill are also victims of vivisection because the money that funds vivisection is taken directly from charity and government funds that really belongs to disabled people, only many disabled people can't see this as they are dazzled by the fairy tale cures that the vivisection industry so often spews out.

I would also like a future where I am not in danger of being force fed meat in some vegan unfriendly nursing home when I get that old.

auntierozzi
Jun 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm also a member of the vegan society and saw in their latest issue that somebody is trying to set up a vegan society in France which would be great. I contacted them to show support but haven't heard anything yet.

We support the charity through which we were able to adopt our children which isn't vegan but it's close to our hearts.

Jippia
Jun 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I am only a member of the Vegetarian and the Vegan Society here. We support two missionary couples and we have two sponsored children through Compassion Nederland. We donate to Christian organizations and we always give money when there are door-to-door collections for the Kidney foundation and other health related foundations.

Mirjam

frank language
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
I belong to the vegan society. They are setting up a group called 'vegans for life' which is to cater for older vegans, which I find quite impressive as a lot of groups tend to target younger people. This is all very well but I older, terminally ill and disabled people need to be targeted as well. I've offered to braille things for Animal Aid but they don't even seem interested. I think it's stupid really as I think that disabled people would have a lot to offer an animal rights group.
As a member of the "disabled community," I can say I heartily agree.

I also notice that even fewer disabled people--percentage-wise--than "normal people" seem to be vegan or vegetarian. Most disabled people are so incensed about human rights, animal rights aren't even an issue. Or they have caretakers and helpers who feed them prescribed diets. This is especially unfortunate because a lot of disabilities are exacerbated by poor diet; diabetes, for instance, which often leads to blindness, could be treated fairly successfully with a lowfat vegan diet as part of the treatment. Unfortunately, few doctors are aware of this and few patients will take treatment into their own hands.

I'm embarrassed to even mention this next thing: many wheelchair-users are morbidly obese--particularly people who use power wheelchairs. It's not their fault, and I honestly can't say if the chicken or the egg came first here, but it seems the convenience foods and comfort foods many disabled people gravitate to are part of the problem. Even nutrition programs don't seem to be helping this trend, although they may have data that says such programs are helping--after all, they need proof of it working so they can get more funding.

In any event, it just seems there is the same problem as with the population at large, but moreso; the disabled aren't aware of animal suffering, so it's not an issue.

harpy
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
I would also like a future where I am not in danger of being force fed meat in some vegan unfriendly nursing home when I get that old.

There's a new charity that's supposed to be addressing that issue:

"Vegetarian for Life is a new charity being set up by the Vegetarian Housing Association. It will aim to improve standards of catering for older vegetarians and vegans throughout the U.K."

http://www.vegetarianforlife.co.uk/

vegcurry
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM

Right on!
--------
The Vegan Society
local branch of Cats Protection (not strictly vegan but sort of A.R)

pat sommer
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
we could all give our money to Korn as he seems to be the most scrupulous in his listed requirements.....
I tend to give money for individual campaigns: I don't have to love an entire organization. I give often and small amounts to: peta (opting out of their begging-email-list is easy), Vegan Outreach and various appeals that I stumble across.... disability rights groups, disaster relief etc.

Korn
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM
we could all give our money to Korn as he seems to be the most scrupulous in his listed requirements.....

:)

Make it NoneHarm (eganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14557) instead when/if the project is realized...

dreama
Jul 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
There's a new charity that's supposed to be addressing that issue:

"Vegetarian for Life is a new charity being set up by the Vegetarian Housing Association. It will aim to improve standards of catering for older vegetarians and vegans throughout the U.K."

http://www.vegetarianforlife.co.uk/

I've just had a look at that. I thought they were attached to the vegan society? Anyway I'm going to offer help by transcribing material in Braille, Moon and Large Print.

dreama
Jul 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM
In any event, it just seems there is the same problem as with the population at large, but moreso; the disabled aren't aware of animal suffering, so it's not an issue.

I know. Unfortunately a lot of disabled never get past the stage where they are totally self absorbed. The other problem of course is that there are a lot of misinformation aimed at the disabled. Fairy tale 'cures' which some disabled people subscribe to. I was just reading 'the New Beacon' which is a braille magazine. There is no less then 3 articles promising various cures for blindness. Still my letter has been published as last month there was this new genetic modification which has supposidly help laboritory animals regain their sight. They even have the nerve to tell blind people to push for more of this: write to their MP's and support research charities! Makes my blood boil.

harpy
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I've just had a look at that. I thought they were attached to the vegan society? Anyway I'm going to offer help by transcribing material in Braille, Moon and Large Print.

Not sure whether they are connected to the Vegan Society, dreama. They certainly have a link to the Vegetarian Society through Tina Fox who used to be ?CEO of the society.

puca
May 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'd like to join the Vegan Society...

I'll be joining Woodcraft Folk soon and hopefully being trained as a leader! :D

I belong to a few charities... One's a left wing economic think tank, one for conservation, one for climate change, one for student activism.

Sarabi
May 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
"is not by definition pacifist or anti-pacifist"

Why?

leedsveg
May 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
In the Vegan Soc and the Veggie Soc.:thumbsup:

Buddha Belly
May 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
In Vegan Soc' and North Herts Veggie and Vegans and the Vegan Forum.

Kate1978
May 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I give a regular donation to Viva! and also donate to VegFam.

PETA I have mixed feelings about. I find them sensationalist, sexist and silly (sea kittens (http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/) anyone?), but at the same time their "Meet your Meat" videos have helped many people go veg*n. Currently I don't support them.

Ruby Rose
May 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Vegan Society members, regular donations to Hillside Animal Sanctuary, Dr Hadwen Trust, Dogs Trust, Speen Home of Rest for Horses and Secret World Wildlife Sanctuary. We both occasionally support other groups with donations - those on the more active side of Animal Rights which are forbidden to be discussed here.

Sarabi
Jun 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
I am currently interning with COK. It's ... interesting.

cobweb
Jun 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
what's COK? :amazed_ani:

Buddha Belly
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I just burst out laughing.

Kate1978
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
COK - could be

a) Russian word for "juice"
b) a slang word for a part of the male anatomy
c) Compassion Over Killing