PDA

View Full Version : Do you belong to a vegan related organisation/charity?

Pages : [1] 2

my3labs
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
I was thinking about adding an AR group to my will, but I'm not sure which one.
The obvious choices are: PETA, SPEAK, VIVA, Farm Sanctuary, Pigs Peace (recently visited them). I really have no idea which company would do the most good with my money. Although I adore the sanctuaries, I would really like it to go to an organization that works toward the end of meat consumption.
What do you all think, and why? (Doesn't have to be a US group)

Korn
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Hi, if I should support an organization, I'd try to find one as close to my viewpoints as possible.

The ideal organization for me would be one that...

•has a clear profile saying that it's against harming and killing animals and humans

•is not by definition pacifist or anti-pacifist

•does not limit it's viewpoints to what causes physical pain only, or limit viewpoints pro being veg*n to eg. factory farm issues: respect for the right to live would be essential

•is not by definition religious or anti-religious

•is not in any way associated with (or donating money to) ALF or other groups known for their 'eco-terrorist'-activities. If they should ever should falsely be accused for doing such things, they should be clear, and not vague about their policy. By not funding any kind of illegal activities, there would be no possible, negative media link to 'eco-terrorism' or anything similar ever.

•is clearly focusing on promoting a vegan (not only a vegetarian) lifestyle, without having an exaggerated focus on 'non-issues' (like discussing if humans should eat insects or not, most people don't do that anyway!)

•focus on the most important animal product issues: meat, dairy, leather, fur etc., and not focus too much on animal products on the microgram-level

•not limits it's viewpoints to animals only, but is clear about not harming the nature, the environment

•is not closely hooked up to one person and his/her personal life, or his/her personal ideas beyond what's defined as the purpose of the organisation

•focus on starting own projects instead of supporting others', in order to get better control of what their money goes to

•would by it's nature support a lifestyle that some people may find extreme (some people think being vegan is extreme!), but not in any way 'try to' be extreme

•will use well known people when it's appropriate, but not speculate in celebrities, especially not those known for their looks (or boobs!)

•have a strong focus on communication and the current and future most common media channels: internet, TV-stations, DVD's, podcasts etc.

•stays away from quack/undocumented pseudo-science, like 'vegans will never have a problem with B12 if they eat a raw vegan diet' or 'you can't get the nutrients you need from plants'

•not in any way is involved in killing animals; members who support euthanasia would need to do that via other organizations. The organization wouldn't pr. definition be pro or against euthanasia

•if possible/needed, would help funding research that could be used to show people the healthiness of a vegan lifestyle
•when needed, support pro fair-trade and pro-organic/veganic viewpoints

•doesn't waste energy on attacking other organisations that may be seen as similar by others

•if supporting other organizations at all, limit the support to similar groups, so no hurrays or awards for producers of anything that kills animals or 'humane' slaughtering methods

Does an organization close to what I described above already exist?

DancingWillow
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I agree with most of Korn's criteria...especially for an organization that is socially responsible in other ways (supporting organic, fair-trade, and environmentally healthy purposes and products)

Also, I would want to know what exactly the money would be used for. I'm afraid that many organizations end up using donations or leftovers from donations for expenses that I find unnecessary...for instance, if the organization involves travel and reimburses for food, I think there should be a limit on the amount allowed for food, rather than giving a huge sum of money and allowing the employees/volunteers to spend it at expensive restaurants.

That's what comes to mind right now. I might think of more things if I were to sit down and think about it more.

my3labs
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:49 AM
You have both given me a lot to think about. thanks!

sarahblue
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I only recently thought of this myself, and it gives me a sense of peace about my imminent death. I would probably split my will between 2 or 3 different organizations. No kids to give it to ;) 3labs, good for you!!!

my3labs
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Sarah,
I have 2 kids, one of them is named Sarah, she is a vegan and a member of this forum.
The kids would get some of the money but I'd really like to see a good percentage of it go to an AR group. I think my Sarah would appreciate that as she's very involved with the AR movement.

treehugga
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I already give money to:
Greenpeace
wilderness society
animal liberation

I've also donated all my organs. When I die they will only need a matchbox for what's left. It might save some poor animal from being used.

sarahblue
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM
my3labs, that is too neat :D Sarahs rock ;)

my3labs
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I already give money to:
animal liberation

Do you a link or info on them?

my3labs
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
my3labs, that is too neat :D Sarahs rock ;)
Yeah, she's a good kid. She was vegetarian for two years and the one that encouraged me to watch meetyourmeat. After we watched it and some others, we both went vegan overnight.

marika5
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I have already made a will and I chose to give my money to the Sierra Club. I was going to give it all to PETA but they assured me that in the event of my death, even if I made provisions for my dogs they would not be able to look after them. That bothered me. So I chose an organization that does not make a great display of care for animals, but is beneficial in a more global way. I am still not sure that I made the best decision--as Korn details it is not easy to find such an organization-- but it's done and I will have to spend some big bucks to change it.

Mr Flibble
Aug 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
The organisations that I support are those which are primarily focused on overall change (be that consumer opinion or legislation), not individual cases. However heart wrenching to say no, I feel that spending excess finance and effort on things that in the grand scheme of things account for very little is a waste. Additionally the work of some charities and groups that others support I actually think is detrimental to the animal and human rights movements.

mooli magic
May 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm currently deciding which organisations I would like to support and was thinking of donating money to an animal/vegan related organisation as well as Greenpeace.

What organisations/charities do you support and why?

Also, I was thinking about becoming a member of the vegan society but I get the impression they don't always get very good press, why is this?

Thanks a lot!

PS- if there's a thread already on this subject I apologise. I did do a search but my computer is playing up..

Roxy
May 16th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I donate to Greenpeace and Amnesty International. A lot of people like to criticize Greenpeace, but I think they still do a lot of good work educating people and helping environmental causes.

I also donate to this here Vegan Forum because I love it so much!

twinkle
May 17th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'm currently a member of The Vegetarian Society (they usually include a lot of stuff relevant to vegans in their magazine) and of VIVA! because they seem quite funky as well as a local woodland trust in Leicestershire. I also do a monthly direct debit to Animal Aid. I used to be a member of the Vegan Society for a couple of years, but my membership lapsed.

Largely I am a member of organisations because I don't think I would have maintained my vegetarianism and then veganism without the constant presence of various different groups always reminding me of why I decided to go veg*n in the first place, and I hope they can do the same for other people. A lot of them enable you to get discounts at various places as well, which can be handy.

Jjt
May 17th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I don't belong to any organizations or charity. The only charity I feel moderately safe about donating to is called vegfam : http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vegfam/

It is a vegetarian charity that gives vegetarian food to starving people and
helps build sustainable vegetarian resources for countries that suffer from hunger. They don't seem to mix themselves up in a hundred other liberal agendas and so I really like them. One thing though is I have sent them an email and they didn't answer me back. If one of you in the uk could call them and see how they're doing and let me know that would be really great and appreciated.

This is something I really feel good about because this will save lives and is the best or one of the best practical solutions to ending starvation in the long term and saving human lifes and animals too.

veg_eric
May 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Also, I was thinking about becoming a member of the vegan society but I get the impression they don't always get very good press, why is this?

I'm a member of the vegan society, but wonder if I should continue to do this.

In my view, the vegan society seems to be a bit asleep, and recent "management troubles", didn't do much for their credibility imho.

I'd like to sponsor an organisation that is bringing the vegan message across.
Something that's not only limited to the U.K (as the vegan society seems to be)

(not Peta)

scarlett
May 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
See this (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262) thread for information about Tower Hill Animal Sanctuary, a worthy place indeed to donate money to, as it states in the thread Fiona was awarded the Diamond Jubilee Vegan Achievement Award 2004 from the Vegan Society in recognition of her athletic achievements, her Fire-Fighting achievements, her work to help rescued animals in Russia and also of course the 250 rescued animals she looks after on her own at her Sanctuary in Essex.

harpy
May 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I belong to the Vegan Society (albeit with a few misgivings recently), and also to the Vegetarian Society which I think has a useful awareness-raising function, not least because a lot of vegetarians are trainee vegans.

I sometimes support other organisations like Animal Aid and Viva! on an ad hoc basis but I don't belong to them.

Gorilla
May 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
as far as animal/veg charities are concerned, i'm a member of Viva!, Animal Aid, the Vegetarian and Vegan Societies, and Hillside Animal Sanctuary in Norfolk. i have a special fondness for them because they were one of the biggest influences in me going from veggie to vegan.

i have some misgivings about both the Vegetarian and Vegan Societies - the Veg Soc because they've affiliated themselves with McDonalds, and although they sometimes cater to vegans, sometimes they can come across as quite anti-vegan, as though they think it's too extreme. membership does give some good discounts though and the magazine's quite interesting. my feelings towards the Vegan Society are similar to those others have mentioned, but i'm still a member for now because i believe they have great potential and that'll never be fulfilled unless they have funding, and i can afford it at the moment. they may not be living up to that potential at present but i can do more to influence their direction as a member, imo.

i used to donate to Peta but became disillusioned with them and stopped. they've been pestering me for money ever since. i prefer to donate to other charities whose tactics i'm more in agreement with.

Pob
May 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I belong to the RSPCA. I joined so that I could be on the committee of my local branch that was going to be closed through lack of committee members, along with several other local vegans. While I don't agree with a lot of the policies of the RSPCA at a national level, at the local level a lot of good things can be achieved, particularly if some activists get involved.

Mostly I prefer to give my time than my money.

Linxie
May 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I belong to the RSPB as birds are a bit of a passion of mine

I'm also lucky enough to work for an animal welfare charity :D

harpy
May 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Forgot to mention the Dr Hadwen Trust which funds medical research without animals:

http://www.drhadwentrust.org.uk/

Edited to add: Jjt, there's some more uptodate information about VegFam here:

http://www.vegfamcharity.org.uk/

Tam Lin
May 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I've just joined LondonVegans and had a lovely chat with a woman who phoned me to give me a helping hand. I also support my Mum's animal rescue charity HULA (Herts & Essex Unwanted Lost Animals Sanctuary, part of the National Animal Welfare Trust).

sugarmouse
May 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I just do my best to support the local PDSA,(donating and shopping at their charity shop)RSPCA,I am a member of VIVA! and always buy presents and other gifty things from the doctor hadwen trust:)