PDA

View Full Version : chai pumpkin pie

Jjt
May 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Here is a recipe for a special pumpkin pie that is cookbook 'inspired'. I just think this is one of if the not best desserts I've ever had in my life and I think encourage everyone to try it . Get yourself some vanilla ice cream for sure and prepare to be blown away.

Chai Pumpkin pie
9 inch pie
Ingredients:
2 cups or a 15 oz. can pumpkin
12.5 oz firm silken tofu
1 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoon sunflower or safflower oil
3 Tablespoon unbleached flour
1-1/2 Tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp black pepper
one 9 inch flaky pie crust
optional: top with glazed nuts
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350. Place first eleven ingredients in a blender and blend well. Pour into pie crust and bake for 1 hour.

flaky pie crust recipe : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Flaky_Pie_Crust

Tam Lin
May 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM
OOh that sounds gorgeous!

DancingWillow
May 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
oh my, i looooove pumpkin pie. i'm saving the recipe until i have a blender and can try it out.

Roxy
May 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yummy!! Thanks for that! I'll keep my eyes open for a vegan pie crust so that I can make this. I could always make the pie crust i suppose but I don't think I'd be very good at it. :o

DancingWillow
May 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
roxy, do they have arrowhead mills brand where you are? they make a vegan pie crust.

Roxy
May 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think we have that brand up here Willow. I just checked their website, and their store locater is only for the USA.

Thanks for mentioning it though. :)

DancingWillow
May 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
oh, i didn't realize that. i hope you find a pie crust. i love home-made ones better, but they're so much work, plus that i eat most of the crust before it's actually made into a crust :p

Jjt
May 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
oh my, i looooove pumpkin pie. i'm saving the recipe until i have a blender and can try it out.

Perhaps you wouldn't need a blender if you don't have one. I used an immersion blender but maybe if you just whipped it by hand with one of those whipping things it would work, just a tad bit longer. The hardest thing to mix in would be the silken tofu, and I'm sure you know how easy that is to stir in.

At the same time, immersion blenders like the one I have are alot cheaper than the regular ones and you can use them for lots of things. It's not real good for chopping or crushing ice though. I think I read lots of people use them in Europe.

! Oh one other thing, for anyone who's never made a pie crust before, don't forget to use pie weights or something to weigh the crust down while it's prebaking in the oven so it doesn't shrink. That would be a pain.

DancingWillow
May 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM
thanks for the idea, i might try mixing it manually.

what's an immersion blender? how is it different from a regular blender?

fiamma
May 18th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I think JjT means this - a stick blender (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moulinex-DDJ344-Turbomix-Plus-Handblender/dp/B000GUGI8C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-8874094-1860426?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1179469351&sr=8-1). I couldn't do without mine, it's brilliant.

DancingWillow
May 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM
oh, thanks fiamma! my mom loooooves those blenders, she's always telling me to buy one. it does seem useful for many things, i might have to go and buy one.

i just have to be careful when washing it...one time when i was washing the dishes at my mom's, i was washing the stick blender while it was still plugged in and the hand i was holding it with was right on the button while i was washing the blades with my other hand:eek::eek: thankfully either my sister or my mom noticed and unplugged it.

fiamma
May 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Noooo!!!!! Watch your fingers :eek: I went out with a friend and her husband one night, and he'd lost a couple of fingers while working with a lawnmover :eek: Now I always always always take off the attachment before touching it or doing anything with it - it doesn't have the built in safety devices that regular blenders have so you have to be ultra-careful. Please take care! (sorry I probably sound like your mother :o )

DancingWillow
May 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
aww, thanks for your concern, fiamma! i appreciate it:) i think i learned my lesson that time! i cringed when i realized what had happened and that i could have been with no fingers:eek:

ouch about your neighbor and the lawnmower incident, though! how painful and traumatizing:(