PDA

View Full Version : Foods that make you feel calm

Pages : [1] 2

Tam Lin
May 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
For breakfast I've just had some bread with mashed ripe avocado on (purely because I found it at the back of the fridge). It was wonderful (hadn't eaten avocado for years until recently as husband hates them, and I've tended to shop and cook to suit him). And now I feel positively serene and glowing. Have you found any foods which do that for you?

fiamma
May 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Probably a big salad plate; an open sandwich with homemade hummus, grated fresh ginger and carrot, salad leaves, tomato and rocket. Heaven.

Either that or rice salad.

sugarmouse
May 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, last night I Wasnt well (had had a mega cold, was coughing and sneezing and feelin awful) , I got home from work , had a nap and made some roast pepper and tomato soup with chilli flakes, and it made me feel soooooo much better! Iate so much of it though!

DancingWillow
May 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM
chocolate:o plain soy milk too.

Tigerlily
May 18th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Fries. :o

eve
May 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM
dark chocolate.

philfox
May 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
steamed brocolli mmmmmmmm or anything chickpea realted, dahl, falafel, hummus...

insubordination
May 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
bok choy dropped in boiling water for 10 seconds, then drained & covered in lime juice.

Mr Flibble
May 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
cake, like the one i'm eating whilst typing this one handed :)

horselesspaul
May 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Valerian sarnie..

Glossgirl
May 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Avocado
Cucumber
Water

BlackCats
May 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Its probably not good in the long run but anything carbohydrate heavy is good for me, bread, chips etc.
I like bananas as well probably because of the trytophan.

absentmindedfan
May 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Carbs are good for you. Whenever I am hungry (proper hunger, not emotional hunger) I want carbs because my body wants energy.

They don't make you put on weight; a wholegrain complex carb heavy diet will actually boost your metabolism. I eat around 2000 kcals a day and plenty of carbs and as long as I avoid biscuits and crisps, fat and refined sugar heavy foods, I don't gain a pound no matter how much I eat.

I find a diet high in veg makes me feel calm. A 5 plate at VitaOrganic makes me feel calm and at peace :)

sugarmouse
May 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I would gain weight if I ate as you do AMF! Unless I ran as you do, obviously:)
Steamed broccoli does it for me too:)

emmapresley
May 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
rocket..peppery..mm
also that yeasty pate stuff on orgran corn crackers..v calm inducing.

and dark chocolate, though not in the same way as when i used to scoff milk chocolate. nasty evil addictive cruelty filled stuf. bah!

tammay
May 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM
My mom, who is a nurse, once told me that whole grains are soothing, something in the grains themselves. Whole grains definitely do it for me, especially cooked and warm small grains, like couscous and bulgur. And brown rice. I'm often too lazy to make it, but when I do, eating just a small serving (like 1/2 a cup) can calm me down.

Tam

Gorilla
May 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
i'm finding fruit flavour soya yogurts quite calming at the moment, i've been eating a couple of pots nearly every day recently.

cobweb
May 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Homemade Leek, Potato, Pearl Barley and Nori soup.

emmy
May 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
i find either a sandwich or a salad with raw sprouts (as in sprouting beans, not the brussels variety!) makes me feel serene and energised and powerful.
for calmness a nurse i had for a while recommended warm drinks...and it really helped. i also like my "comfort food" - but it's things like yoghurt and cereal. easy to eat, healthy and filling.

Justin
May 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
the temptation to say 'hash cakes' has overwhelmed me, I can only apologise ;-)

pavotrouge
May 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
:D

For me, it's everything sugary (Alpro soy dessert recently :) ) or, as for AMF, high in carbs.

jem
May 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
#1: brown rice.

otherwise, any sort of warm drink.
banana
smoothies with ginger.

thecatspajamas1
May 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM
plateful of Indian buffet food.

vegan mac n cheese or lasagne that I make (it's the best)

I usually don't need to be "calmed" though. I'm lazy by default.

Linxie
May 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Not sure about calm but my number one comfort food is - I am ashamed to say - a chip buttie :D

absentmindedfan
May 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Ooh don't get Sandra started on chip butties, she loves them!