PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to get a vegan pub meal in the UK??

Zoozy
May 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
My (omni) husband and I just spent about 2 hours driving around, looking for a country pub that offered a veggie burger and chips. Which you would think would be an innocent enough request, no? But 7 pubs later, and I was getting seriously frustrated. Out of so many pubs that I finally lost count, only two of them offered any vegan options at all, and one of those had stopped serving by the time we got there. (Of course! :rolleyes: ) The other one turned out to be really nice, but cor blimey! Why should it be this hard? I was so stressed out by the whole thing by then that I hardly even enjoyed it.

And while I'm at it, why does almost every single vegetarian option offered come smothered in cheese? Even leaving aside the AR issues, don't vegetarians care about their health?? Is it really too much to ask to have ONE vegan option per pub?

So, any recommendations for vegan-friendly pubs in the Basingstoke/Hampshire area, anyone? I'm not shy about asking for dishes without cheese, but when the only veggie option is vegetarian lasagne, it's difficult! (And I refuse to pay stupid amounts of money to eat an order of chips and an iceberg lettuce salad.)

Enchantress
May 20th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I don't know if this would be of any use to you, but the veggie burger in Wetherspoons pubs is vegan.

cookey
May 21st, 2007, 07:34 AM
The Porter pub in Bath is veggie and does vegan options, not really a country pub tho!
I just don't expect to get for apart from chips at country pubs and don't bother trying really.
Maybe we should get together and write something to some of the breweries? Or write something to the pubs that stock vegan alchohol (I don't know which these are cos I don't drink).

Zoozy
May 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Enchantress - there's a Wetherspoon's just up the road from me, so that's very useful to know. And thanks for the tip about the Porter pub, Cookey. Bath is a bit far away from me, but I'll keep it in mind if I ever go there.

I think a lot of times, the answer might be just to ring first. At one of the pubs we went to last night, the chef said he could have knocked me up a lovel vegan mushroom risotto if he'd had a bit of notice. The idea of ringing to ask for a special meal grates a bit, as I don't really like drawing attention to myself, but I'm going to have to get over that - if more people asked for vegan meals, they'd realise that there was a demand for them and put them on the menu! And I suspect that a lot of chefs, in both pubs and restaurants, would be happy to rise to the challenge if given the chance.

puffin
May 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
I must have been lucky because when i was in Looe last week we all went to a pub and i had a lovely veg curry that was vegan. I usually ring up in advance to ask first, saves looking like a complicated person.

Purple
May 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

There's a little cafe type place in Farnham that offers a few wraps and stuff. I think it was all veggie, and there's the option of vegan falafels (I haven't *checked*, but they looked vegan from what was written on the board) and roasted vegetable wrap with houmous.

Probably only open day times though.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the Basingstoke/Hampshire bit.

Hemlock
May 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
The vegetarian options in our local are all fish dishes *head spins*....idiots.

Enchantress
May 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

There's a little cafe type place in Farnham that offers a few wraps and stuff. I think it was all veggie, and there's the option of vegan falafels (I haven't *checked*, but they looked vegan from what was written on the board) and roasted vegetable wrap with houmous.

Probably only open day times though.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the Basingstoke/Hampshire bit.
*Is intrigued*. Whereabouts in Farnham is that? I live near Farnham, by the way.

cobweb
May 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
I don't go out often but when I do I always ring in advance and don't usually have too many problems - but then I only expect simple things, and am happy with them! :rolleyes: .
Last time I got a beautiful, huge salad full of different fruits and veggies, and a plate of home-cut thick chips. Mmm :) .

Purple
May 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
*Is intrigued*. Whereabouts in Farnham is that? I live near Farnham, by the way.

I don't know the name of it I'm afraid, but it's off the main street in Farnham with all the shops (I think that's called West Street). It's one of the little alleys up, but you should be able to walk past a menu on a board on the street if you're on the correct side of the road. The side of the road you want is the same side as the alley leading to waitrose, and the opposite side of the Holland & Barret health food shop (which incidentally does some vegan stuff in the freezer section at the back if you ever get stuck for quick/easy vegan sausages/mince/ice cream etc).

As for distance, I'm pretty sure it's close to the health food shop, only the other side of the road.

If I remember the name, I'll try and find you a map :)

I also don't know what it's like, I've not been in yet :rolleyes:

sugarmouse
May 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Its always been one extreme or the other with me. They eaither give me something really nice,specially made, or they look at me blankly and if I am lucky I get soggy chips and a few lettuce leaves!

thanks enchantress for that info! I wrote a review on ciao on my weatherspoon experience lol

Enchantress
May 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM
I don't know the name of it I'm afraid, but it's off the main street in Farnham with all the shops (I think that's called West Street). It's one of the little alleys up, but you should be able to walk past a menu on a board on the street if you're on the correct side of the road. The side of the road you want is the same side as the alley leading to waitrose, and the opposite side of the Holland & Barret health food shop (which incidentally does some vegan stuff in the freezer section at the back if you ever get stuck for quick/easy vegan sausages/mince/ice cream etc).

As for distance, I'm pretty sure it's close to the health food shop, only the other side of the road.

If I remember the name, I'll try and find you a map :)

I also don't know what it's like, I've not been in yet :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'll have a look out for it next time I'm in Farnham/have some money.

thanks enchantress for that info! I wrote a review on ciao on my weatherspoon experience lol
You're welcome, sugarmouse.

shez
May 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
I don't know if this would be of any use to you, but the veggie burger in Wetherspoons pubs is vegan.

really? how do you know this? did you write to the company? Anyways i'm chuffed i never knew this, i'm usually stuck with a plate of chips, when my other friends can have a meal.

cheers for the info :)

Risker
May 22nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
It's on their website. (http://www.rfbrookes.co.uk/Web/FoodFacts/FoodFacts.nsf/OptionDisplay?OpenForm)

shez
May 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
cheers risker. I always assumed it 'ad egg or milk in, dont know why. probably 'cause in most of the fast food stores veggie food is not vegan. just checked the web site seems we can have some off the curry meals to. brilliant.

emzy1985
May 31st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Um I don't know your area very well but I went to Stonehenge last year at not far from it...down a country lane...there was an enormous country pub. Not only did it have a massive vegetarian range....most of it could be made vegan. There were also some vegan dishes.....I can't remember what I had off the top of my head but I remember it being AWESOME!!! (Probably not much help lol but hey it's my two cents!!)

Ruby Rose
May 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh! Oh! Please try and remember where the Stonehenge one was - that's near where we're going to be moving to!

The Porter in Bath is rank to eat in right now because of the permanent thick and impenetrable fug of cigarette smoke - but come the first of July, it'll be great.

emzy1985
May 31st, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'll ask my Mrs later and get back to you....I really can't remember!!!