PDA

View Full Version : Wheat, gluten & celiac disease

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

foxytina_69
May 22nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
does anyone here have celiac disease (being allergic to or having bad reactions to wheat, rye, barely, oats, flour and gluten) and are vegan? i have it and it limits what i can eat very much, so i was wondering if anyone else had this.

globesetter
May 22nd, 2004, 01:13 PM
I donīt have the disease, but there are cookbooks out there who cater to people with the disease. You can download 2 free cookbooks at www.vitalita.com. I have made some recipes from them and I liked them very much.

good luck,
globesetter

funkyvixen
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Heylo

Starting a new thread so as not to make the "what I ate today" one go off topic.

If anyone is vegan and avoids wheat/gluten - ever found any meat-substitute things that don't contain wheat? I mean like ready-made frozen sausages or burgers or mince, not plain tofu. Something thats quick & easy to bung in the oven - I dislike fake meat really, just a matter of taste, but sometimes you just want an easy junk dinner, and since giving up on wheat I haven't really had that.

fv x

foxytina_69
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM
i like to make my own and freeze them, so that i have veggie burgers ready made and u can just use them. here are sum recipes for vegan burgers:

http://vegweb.com/food/subs/index-subs-burgers.shtml

funkyvixen
Jul 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Wow masses of good recipes there, thankyou. I've had cracks at making my own burgers before, but never had much success at freezing them for later dates, they always fall apart. Only really successful if I fry them and eat them straight away.

I actually bothered to do some proper research (beyond asking health food store assistants etc, who weren't helpful) and I found the following http://www.beany.co.uk/ if you're interested, they do "soysausages" which are gluten-free and something called "beanys" which I think are burgers, in many different varieties, its a bit confusing though. They seem to do mail order in the UK though.

fv x

Lol I just answered my own question!

Newcook
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Heylo

Starting a new thread so as not to make the "what I ate today" one go off topic.

If anyone is vegan and avoids wheat/gluten - ever found any meat-substitute things that don't contain wheat? I mean like ready-made frozen sausages or burgers or mince, not plain tofu. Something thats quick & easy to bung in the oven - I dislike fake meat really, just a matter of taste, but sometimes you just want an easy junk dinner, and since giving up on wheat I haven't really had that.

fv x
fv x,

I'm glad that you were able to answer your own question. Anyone out there have the answer for this that lives in the US? I'm looking for the same thing.

Newcook

phillip888
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:43 PM
dixi diner makes gluten free TVP.

cast_the_flames
Aug 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
i've recently been having some stomach problems, and think it might be because i've been having a lot of wheat recently (bread baking frenzy ;) ). i've heard it makes you bloated, and a lot of people seem to have sensativities to it. so i'm thinking of taking a lot of it out of my diet. however, now i'm not really sure what to eat for breakfast. i usually have toast or cereal, both of which have wheat in them. any suggestions?

Gorilla
Aug 11th, 2004, 09:27 PM
i have muesli with oats, nuts, seeds and fruit. it's delicious :D

i think i may be sensitive to wheat too. i've tried gluten free bread but it was horrible, and so expensive! :(

cast_the_flames
Aug 11th, 2004, 09:54 PM
er... this is probably a stupid question, but are oats from the same plant as wheat?

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 11th, 2004, 10:34 PM
That is not stupid at all! No, they are not from the same plant, but GLUTEN intolerence is usually the issue, not just wheat specifically. Gluten is found in most commonly-used grains and grain products, and is found in many other foods as an additive.

Rainy Day Woman
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM
:p Hi!

I went off wheat about 3 months ago, I notice the new light feeling and I know it when I do accidently eat wheat again because I bloat and get stomach cramps.
I do, however, still eat Gluten (a protein of the heavier starches) in the form of oats, rye and spelt/sourdough or buckwheat.
Gluten free grains include rice, maize, corn and millet.

Country life makes a series of organic rye, spelt and performance grain breads in full sized loaves and you can pick em up for about $4.00AUS.
These are free from the harsh baker's yeast and wheat flours.
In terms of cereal, Freedom Foods make some great rice ones and if you pop along to any health food store you will be amazed at what they have....try Amaranth grains(pure magic, I swear by them!), Quinou and the plenty of boxed cereals they have or can order in for you.
You can buy the special flours needed to bake wheat free bread, as I am an avid bread maker as well!

Wheat is another staple food that we have been brought up to believe is beneficial and essential to our diet, just like the cursed dairy.
However, studies have shown that those brought up on a wheat based diet have weaker immunities, and are more susceptible to illness than those who have a diet high in wheat-free fibres, such and rice, maize, millet and corn.
It is also found, that, while consuming wheat a person's ability to efficiently digest food and its vitamins and minerals and many nutrients is considerably less than those who avoid wheat.

Technically, why this actually happens is because wheat is composed of heavy strands of almost unbreakable proteins (which is why the wheat based breads are soft, fluffy anf levened) and these strands attack our soft cilcilli hairs that line our digestion tract.
Over time, these soft wavey hairs (which absorb much of the nutrients in food) become hard and brittle and relatively shorter.

I avoid wheat for these reasons and more. I am better off without it and we don't need wheat at all to be healthy.
Please be aware that people who avoid wheat still need to lead healthy, Vegan diets to benefit from this.

One book that explains all of this and much, much more is called "The Road to Better Health," by Walter Last.
The guy who changed my whole perspective on food and the body and a lot of other issues.
Cheerio!!:p

cedarblue
Aug 18th, 2004, 01:57 PM
brekkie suggestion:
flavoured soy yog (i like provalmel summer fruits) with chopped fruit salad. sometimes sprinkled with ground flaxseed for the old omegas.
you can buy wheat/gluten free porridge (oatmeal) to make up.
grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, veg bacon, baked beans.
smoothies.
rice cakes with jam, marmelade, marmite, pb on.

phillip888
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I don't eat grains except for the occasional bad treat, and every time I have a reaction, it's just that I like falafel in pitas too much. The reason grains can cause so many issues are pretty obvious. Humans evolved to eat succulent veggies, root, fruits, and nuts. It just so happens that of those foods, very few are acidic, and humans have the exact digestive makeup to turn them alkaline quickly. Most grains on the other hand are not easily alkalized, and cause a blood pH issue (too acidic). This leads to all sorts of issues, one of the biggest being inflammation of any cells in contact with blood (almost half the cells in your body). All the processing to make grains lowers the toxic content (grain toxins are hard to metabolize because we simply didn't evolve to do it) still do not accomplish much. Having all this stuff in your blood and suffering from a pH problem, and causing swelling in the brain can lead to some pretty awful headaches, IBS, dehydration, immune system disorders (also caused by the gluten in many grains) and overall crappyness. All that for a lot of carbs and little nutrients...

If you want to do yourself a favor, cut grains of any sort except rice (rice is fairly unique). Also some people confuse buckwheat and quinoa with grains, they're seeds and don't cause the issues most grains do. They are also vastly superior to grains as far as nutrition is concerned.

Lastly, what do you like in the morning? I certainly have no craving for cereals after eating fruit in the morning. Make yourself a big fat banana, date, coconut, and raisin (or goji berries, or both), and almond butter smoothie. Not only does it taste like heaven, it's damn good for you.

Oh, also do some research on how you feel. Grains and processed sugar are food for an internal fungus infection called Candida albicans. You feel bloating after eating foods known to feed it, so I'm just suggesting it as a possibility. It is not an uncommon issue, just mostly ignored by wesern medicine..

foxytina_69
Aug 29th, 2004, 11:28 AM
i have celiac disease and cant have anything with gluten.

there are several types of breads to choose from, it depends on your personal preferance, but they are expensive.

oats do contain gluten so i dont think porridge would make u feel that great (ofcourse it really depends on your tolerance)

there are cereals without gluten. (i buy a brand that gives part of their profits to animals :)) and i just use rice toast. (if u use alot of vegan butter, its not dry and therefor not gross!)

im so used to not eating gluten that i dont even notice it anymore! it does make u feel better tho, u should give it a try :)

gertvegan
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM
The Gluten-Free Vegan Diet: Easier than it Sounds, by Laura Bruno. Click ME. (http://www.vegfamily.com/health/gluten-free-vegan-diet.htm)

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM
thank u so much for that link :)

John
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:11 AM
I don't know anything about food alergies or whatever but cornmeal muffins (maize for you Brits) make a nice breakfast. Maybe put jam or vegan margarine on them.

Mystic
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:14 AM
I am not sensitive to wheat either, but I love buckwheat bread, spelt bread and kamut bread. Whole grain pumpernickel is yum too...mmm with hummus. If gluten is a problem, you will have to avoid everything I said, except for the buckwheat bread! I also like rice porridge.

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
buckwheat also contains gluten :(

Mystic
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Really? Coz the buckwheat bread I sometimes buy is advertised as gluten free. It is especially for celiacs.

I just checked on the Australian Gastroentorology Website and it states buckwheat as an allowed food for a gluten free diet. You can check this out at http://www.nevdgp.org.au/geninf/gastro/patient_inf/cd_06.htm

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
oh wow :) thats odd because an article i recently read stated that buckwheat did infact contain gluten. im a little confused. altho my instinct is cautioning me away from anything with the word wheat in it!

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
where heres a link about buckwheat, and then another link about forbidden and safe celiac foods. just incase anyones interested :)

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10

http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H0-wJeO0qH-19104099952.be

Veggie4Life139
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone. I recently turned vegan and I was wondering, what in the world is the fuss about gluten? What is it? I know some products (vegan meat products) that are made of mostly wheat gluten. What is it? Thanks!

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Protein from grains, usually wheat, but gluten is found in most grains. Some people have a "gluten intolerance" and can't eat wheat, rye, and other gluten containing foods. It is found in neaarly every processed food unless it is a specialty food. :(