PDA

View Full Version : Why are Ikea restaurants full of meat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tails4wagging
Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Their buffet is laden with meat. It is impossible for a vegan to eat there. I have only visited their restaurant here in the UK once, that was enough.
Do all Skandinavians eat alot of meat?.

Korn
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
Yes, they normally do.

John
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
I believe the Scandinavian diet is supposed to be the most animal-centered in the world. At least they aren't raiding their neighbors anymore. ;)

mysh
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:10 AM
I thought the Inuits had an even more meat centered diet?

Roxy
Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:13 AM
At the Ikea restaurant here in Vancouver, I was able to get a couple of vegetable samosas and some baked vegetables. But that's all the choice that I had. Kinda sad really :(

l337_v3g4n_1
Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Iceland is a fishing country... :(

snaffler
Oct 25th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I went to the Bristol one and sat and bought some water them proceeded to eat my vegan sandwhiches.......a manager approached me and said you are not supposed to eat your own food in here I pointed out that I am hungry I have just spent a small fortune in your store and it does not cater for my diet....he looked embarressed and left me alone.

tails4wagging
Oct 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Good idea Snaffler, but I cannot abide seeing all that dead flesh and people next to me eating it!

cedarblue
Oct 25th, 2004, 07:40 PM
they do chips but how are they fried/cooked?

Gorilla
Oct 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM
i've never been to an Ikea store before, but from what i've found with other large stores with restaurants, it's a similar experience pretty much everywhere. you might be able to get a jacket potato with beans and no butter if you're really lucky in these sorts of places. :(

Realfood Mary
May 29th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Ikea's chips are cooked in vegetable oil, or oven chips, so technically vegan, although there will be risk of cross contamination. Their beans are okay as well last time I checked. They use cheap bulk bought beans, not HP, which are the only ones we know of in the UK that are not vegan. So if you are ever dining in a café and want to know about the beans, just ask. If HP, no! If anything else in the UK, you should be okay.

If any of you know any differently of beans, let us know so we can keep the is it vegan website up to date.

And again, good one Snaffler! Though I find the smell repulsive in there, so I know where T4W is coming from!

You know what, Neil and I are going to ring them up on Tuesday and ask them for everything they do that is vegan, and when they are likely to increase their range. There is one for vegan pester power!

gibby
Jul 24th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Last time I went to ikea I just had a tea but they assured me the veggie bolognase was vegan - but when it arrived fro my daughter they had covered it with parmazan cheese.

Beans - thanks for the tip as I was unaware of HP not being vegan.
Asda and Tesco keep changing theirs.
The cheaper ones are better as I found the mid priced ones had much more sugar and added sweeteners than the basic range.

But lately the ingredients now contain "natural flavourings" and the staff cant tell me what they are.
This seems to be cropping up in quite a few products lately.

Gibby

snaffler
Jul 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
They use cheap bulk bought beans, not HP, which are the only ones we know of in the UK that are not vegan. So if you are ever dining in a café and want to know about the beans, just ask. If HP, no! If anything else in the UK, you should be okay.

Waahhhhhhaaaaahh bugger me tell me about HP :( Mary please, I read some place less that 12 months ago that HP are fine for vegans, I read the tin at the time of buying them because I was getting fed up with eating cheap beans, I have looked on the tin again and see no obvious non-vegan thing is it a background process the are not obliged to state.

Keen to know about the score with HP please anyone.

Thanks

snaffler

realfood neil
Jul 25th, 2005, 01:21 PM
HP Sauce is fine. HP beans have hidden milk products which they don't list on the tin. Don't trust them until they write to the Vegan Society begging apology!

snaffler
Jul 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Neil, filthy pigs thats not on at all, my diet is an ethical diet but what if a person is on the diet of no Dairy for allergy reasons it could have devistating effects, that is well out of order.

Thanks though, whats done is done for me I can get another bean, it just goes to show you can be an old hat vegan and still make mistakes, well I guess not intentional if H bloody damn P had done some correct labeling on the tins.

VeganJohn
Jul 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I recall reading the label of an HP Beans tin, a very large one and to my dismay saw the words 'BUTTERMILK' staring out at me :mad:

sugarmouse
Jul 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I went to the Bristol one and sat and bought some water them proceeded to eat my vegan sandwhiches.......a manager approached me and said you are not supposed to eat your own food in here I pointed out that I am hungry I have just spent a small fortune in your store and it does not cater for my diet....he looked embarressed and left me alone.

lol you rock snaffler

tails4wagging
Jul 26th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Shock Horror, about the beans!!. I use Heinz are they ok????

snaffler
Jul 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
the beans issue threw me as the regular tin does not list them as having any animal stuff in them at all.

Coop beans and Sainsbury are OK some brands of Tesco, check out isitvegan database under FOOD/BAKED BEANS they have some listed.

VeganJohn
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I am sure HP are the only unsuitable beans. I had some lovely barbecue ones once and they were OK from the packaging.

gibby
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I know that some of the asda beans - did have milk in to pad them out.
I havent checked lately as my good lady told me there was no difference in quality between the 3 price brands - smart price, normal and fancy label - as she used to work for the no so nice ppl.

I also found that some of the more expensive juices that were chilled were full of added sugar and other crap than the smart price juice - and really should have been labeled as "juice drink" not Juice.

all supermarkets have the same policy of different prices to get the most money out of each group.

I dont mind paying for stuff but its a bit sill when the more expensive stuff is the same or worse quailty than the cheap priced items.

Gibby

Pob
Jul 29th, 2005, 11:15 AM
One thing that quite often differentiates canned foods like beans is the amount of salt added. I always used to go for the cheaper beans, but Heinz have the lowest salt content (of standard baked beans). Mixed beans in tomato or chilli sauce are generally the lowest in salt, though. Heinz also do a lower salt and sugar variety without sweetners (but they do taste bland unless you add some spices).

I had a hunkering for tinned spaghetti the other day (I know it has no nutritional value at all), but when I looked at the tins I wasn't sure if any were vegan (all had added vitamins, with no indication of source). Turns out that most are vegan. What I did find, though, was that Asda tinned spaghetti is ridiculously salty - 1 tin plus a couple of slices of toast would be your daily salt allowance.

Evilfluffbunny
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I use Aldi's baked beans, they're very cheap but taste just as nice as the more expensive ones. :) I'm not impressed with Lidl's ones though.

Lilyvazz
Sep 1st, 2005, 09:33 AM
I have never heard of that Ikea restaurant until now

Geoff
Sep 1st, 2005, 10:11 AM
If the Ikea restaurant was 'full of meat' (How gross) you wouldn't be able to get in anyway! :)