PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here heard of or been to Kripalu in Berkshires, Massachusetts?

veganpixie
May 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I need to share something that's really bothering me. I don't know how many members here do yoga and have a strong interest in the holistic healing arts and Eastern teachings, but because I'm vegan and I've been vegetarian 100% zero meat total vegetarian for 15+ years and I meditate, do yoga, and tai chi, when we learned about Kripalu Spiritual Retreat in Berkshires, we were intrigued. A few years ago my hubby and I met a friend who's really cool - an indigenous Aussie healing intuitive who has lived 1/2 of her life in Vermont, yet spends some time in North Central Florida, kinda crazy.

Anyway, she suggested we check out the retreat because she felt we would resonate with the spiritual and holistic health programs they offer there. I'm not sure if she meant as staff or guests, but that doesn't matter at the moment. I checked out Kripalu online and read their FAQ and I searched for the word vegetarian and I was aghast at what I discovered. Their kitchen is natural, organic, and whole foods, but they serve fish, poultry, and eggs in addition to vegetarian, ugh. They do serve dairy and I expected that, but I was hoping that they were at least meatless vegetarian and they're not! ugh. :-( I'm starting to see more and more that those involved in the holistic healing modality practices and Eastern teachings are divided on the issue of whether or not a complete total 100% meatless vegetarian diet is the appropriate diet that contributes to enlightenment and higher awareness.

I was aghast and I feel very disappointed with what I just learned. I'm not sure if I'm looking for caring moral support or just the opportunity to vent and express myself, but I'd love to hear some caring kind words from someone here who understands how I feel. Our Aussie friend told us that Kripalu has changed since she was there and their approach may not be of the higher awareness as much as it used to be, but that doesn't help me feel any better. Anyway, I just felt the need to express this. Thanks for listening. :-(