PDA

View Full Version : Who needs McDonald's? ...a vegan McMuffin

Pages : [1] 2

absentmindedfan
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I just found this (http://flickr.com/photos/7731252@N06/515191473/in/pool-63152167@N00) on a vegan blog...a vegan McMuffin.
I thought this was an amazing piece of vegan ingenuity

harpy
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
:eek: Looks a bit...revolting :D I certainly agree no-one needs McDonald's though!

yum
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM
i love a good greasy fry up for breakfast (especially after a night out) - i wanna try it :D

Frosty
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Oh my, that looks horrendous :eek: I can't remember that last time I bought anything from McDonalds, and this certainly hasn't convinced me to hand over any cash to them :p

absentmindedfan
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
:D
I can't say it appeals to me either, but I liked the ingenuity of it

jamboxrock
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I got a recipe for McVegans from vegweb.com a while ago, and have been wanting to try it. It does look gross, but there's something about it that I want...

aubergine
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'd eat that.

Can someone open a Vegan fast food outlet near to me please? :D

Roxy
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I'd try it too :D

twinkle
Jun 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I got a recipe for McVegans from vegweb.com a while ago, and have been wanting to try it. It does look gross, but there's something about it that I want...

HA! I noticed they had put the recipe for "happy vegan chocolate chip cookies" from vegweb under photos of their attempt, without accreditation as well. Naughty naughty.

Tigerlily
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
That looks delicious. YUM!

bryony
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM
i have eaten at mcdonalds a grand total of, 5 times in my life MABY 10 but i doubt it. there food now makes me feel phsically SICK, especially after fastfood nation

Melanie
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yuck =P

Ingenius though!

cobweb
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
mmmm I'm a white trash vegan, I'll definitely try that! :p

Lingering Lilac
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
You have to wonder though...You may not be eating meat/dairy, but making a vegan Mcmuffin still seems to support Mcdonalds, which is un-veganish.

Tigerlily
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
How does it support it? You make it at home. No money is going towards McDonald's. It's like saying homemade bean burgers are supporting slaughterhouses.

Lingering Lilac
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:25 PM
It's the name--free advertising. Plus, it makes it seem like vegans need Mcdonalds.

Mr Flibble
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:25 PM
A burger is a shape that fits well between bread. A McMuffin is a product made by a very very dodgy company. I completely see the difference between the two.

Many of us were not bought up vegan and developed a taste for meat, thus making meat substitutes palettable. Directly copying a product design has nothing to do with taste however, and I really don't want to recreate the McDonalds experience in our vegan kitchen.

absentmindedfan
Jun 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM
It's the name--free advertising. Plus, it makes it seem like vegans need Mcdonalds.

How?
That's like saying it 'seems' like vegans need pork because we eat vegan sausages. Making a vegan McMuffins shows we don't need McDonalds. That was kinda the point I raised in my original post.

cobweb
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
How?
That's like saying it 'seems' like vegans need pork because we eat vegan sausages. Making a vegan McMuffins shows we don't need McDonalds. That was kinda the point I raised in my original post.

Hmm, that's exactly the kind of rubbish that my parents hit me with every time we have to eat together - why do veg*ns eat sausages, mock meats, etc :rolleyes: - apparently my son gets this at school, too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I say why not eat fake meats if you like them and nobody died? :cool: .

harpy
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Anyway it seems more of a p!ss-take than a tribute, particularly considering the way it looks :D

BTW there used to be a vegetarian restaurant in Santa Cruz called McDharma's but McDonalds forced them to drop the "Mc" bit. (Is it still going, does anyone know?)

twinkle
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM
There's a restaurant in Leicester called McIndians :D

Their slogan is "you've tried the cowboys, now try the indians" which I think is sort of catchy. Unfortunately it's mostly meat but they seem to have more veg*n options than McDs.

absentmindedfan
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Their slogan is "you've tried the cowboys, now try the indians" which I think is sort of catchy. Unfortunately it's mostly meat but they seem to have more veg*n options than McDs.

There's an Indian building firm in blackheath with that exact same slogan :D

harpy
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
There's an Indian building firm in blackheath with that exact same slogan :D

Very clever :) And have you tried them?

absentmindedfan
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Not yet, but I'm tempted :D

harpy
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I would be as well, only it's a bit far for them to come. We've certainly had the cowboys.