PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Southampton & Hampshire

Pages : [1] 2

catmogg
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
My mum lives in Southampton and she says there are no good healthfood outlets and no vegan cafe's or restaraunts. Help....

Kiran
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.ivu.org/solentveg/shopping.html

Vegetarian Shops

Puja Sweet Mart, 57 St Mary's Road, Southampton. 023 8023 3677. They sells both Indian sweets and savouries, e.g. pakoras, samosas, onion bhajis. Most of the savouries and a few of the sweets are vegan. It's owned by Jagdish and Kashmira Chavda who are both vegetarian. One of our members told us "it's fantastic, and very low priced too!" They also cater for Weddings and Parties. Opening hours: Mon: Closed. Tues-Fri: 11:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sat: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sun: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. They have recently increased their range of vegan goodies and have introduced some gluten-free goodies too.

Kiran
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
NEW Allsorts Psychic Cafe 22 Carlton Place, Southampton SO15 2DY. Tel: 023 80237561. Fully veggie, mainly drinks and cakes (many vegan). They have a single savoury dish too such as soup, stew or pasties. Prices are very reasonable. www.allsorts-psychic-cafe.com. 10% discount for Viva! and Southampton Vegetarians & Vegans members.

Kiran
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Amelie Food Emporium (Delicatessen)
33 Manor Farm road, Bitterne Park Triangle, Southampton, Hampshire SO18 1NN
Has ordered nvw display materials.

Choices Internet Cafe
11 Rumbridge Street, Totton, Southampton, Hampshire SO40 9DQ
This cafe will have National Vegetarian Week promotional materials.

Rose ElliotSolent Vegetarians & Vegans (Local Contact)
www.ivu.org/solentveg
May 26: 7pm at October Books, Portswood Road, Southampton. A Free Rose Elliot cookery demo (hot food) with a chance to sample the food and buy Rose's latest cookery books. October Books will also be having a National Vegetarian Week window display. (Rose is a patron of The Vegetarian Society)

Southampton Central Library
Display of vegetarian information from May 28. Organised by Solent Vegetarians & Vegans.

catmogg
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Wow, thakyou, Kiran. :)

Kiran
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Not too sure about vegan stuff.. but worth a try....

Organic Food Company: Sunnyfields Organic Farm
Telephone: 023 8087 1408
Address: Jacobs Gutter La, Totton, Southampton, SO40 9FX

Organic Food Company: Greenacres Organic Co Ltd
Telephone: 023 8066 8137
Address: 27 The Dr, Totton, Southampton, SO40 9EH

Organic Food Company: River Ford Organic Box Scheme
Telephone: 01962 856663
Address: 27 Honeysuckle Cl, Winchester, SO22 4QQ

Organic Food Company: Heathcote L V & Partners
Telephone: 01590 688488
Address: Warborne Farm/Warborne La, Portmore, Lymington, SO41 5QD

Justin
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
I got this bulletin on myspace, can't make it myself but perhaps some of you guys might like to

"With food from huge to small brands, junk food and healthy - come and see that us veggies don't just munch on lettuce all day. Plus it's FREE!!"

Hosted By::
SAAC and SVV

When:
Saturday Mar 31, 2007
at 2:00 AM

Where::
Edmund Kell Hall
Bellevue Road
Southampton, S SO152AY
United Kingdom

Ara
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hmmm if i am home then i shall go. It's the weekend when i go back to soton for the easter holidays!

eco
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Just saw this on the vegan village noticeboard. Not sure if the event is entirely vegan, but there are lots of free vegan goodies to try if you live in the Southhampton area. Too far away for me unfortunately :(

Mini ChocFest in Southampton
Weds 25th July 6pm - 10pm (onwards!) at the Soul Bowl, Southampton. Entry by donation. Lots of free vegan choc, cake, icecream to sample - plus live music and holistic therapies for a real pamper experience. Pop in and bring a friend too! zigzw@yahoo.co.uk (zigzw@yahoo.co.uk)

Sluggie
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I just Googled for Soul Bowl, as I'd never heard of it, and found the following info:

Venue name: The Soul Cellar
Venue address: 78 West Marlands Road, Southampton
Venue postcode: SO14 7FW
Contact telephone: 023 8071 0648
Contact email: soulcellar78@gmail.com
Web address: http://www.soul-cellar.com ...
Start date: 14/05/2007

Additional details: The Soul Cellar is proud to announce its brand new day time opening, presenting The Soul Bowl, Coffee House and Vegetarian Cafe. 11am - 9pm Mon to Sat. "Cooked to order vegetarian specials and mezze". "for our coffee we have selected ethically traded organic beans from one of the UK's finest suppliers, freshly ground every 30 minutes and available for the first time on the south coast"
"Real Coffee, Real Food, for Real People" Also....A fine selection of Teas, Juices and Smoothies. And a soundtrack of Jazz, Blues and Soul.

I'm so excited! Veggie food! In Southampton! :D

Smiles
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Heya,

I am going to Winchester Uni in September, and am hoping to live somewhere between Winchester and Totton.

Are there any good Vegan shops local to the area- (I don't drive)? Otherwise it will have to be montlhy visits home for my shopping!

BB

Cattmogg
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I hail from Hampshire..although i havent lived there for years....anyway winch is v. bohemian so im sure you'll be fine. ;-)

Kevster
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Aye, i love Winchester (for some reason?) last time i was there, many years ago, there was a good wholefood shop.

Risker
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I love Winchester too, it just has a nice atmosphere about it for some reason. I'm afraid my knowledge of the shops there is no good though.

Melanie
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
OoO oOo! I'm from Hampshire! :D (God help you)

Winchester is okay, about the same as any other town you'll find really =)

~xx

Ara
Jun 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM
There's one health food shop in win (apart from holland and barrat). It's a lovely place to live, i'm sad to have left it.

yum
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
hello! I go to winchester uni and i'll be in my 3rd year in sept. What course are you going to be studying? Hvae fun!! There is a health food shop in the town which has vegan food and then there is holland and barrett and then for fresh stuff there is sainsburys. I don't live in winch anymore and commute ...i like to pop into the health food shop on the way to the train station ( al little d-tour but its worth it ). The health food shop have vegan cheeses, ice cream, yogurt etc. Pm if you like..

yum
x

Sluggie
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Sunnyfields Organic Farm in Totton - http://www.sunnyfields.co.uk/ -have a farm shop that sells all kinds of interesting stuff.

There's a Fair Trade shop - http://www.thefairtradeshop.org.uk/ - in Shirley, Southampton, and October Books - http://www.octoberbooks.org/fairtrade.htm - in Portswood, Southampton is also worth a visit.

Sluggie
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
There's a new licensed vegetarian cafe opened in Southampton. It's called The Soul Bowl, and is housed in a blues/funk/jazz/reggae club called The Soul Cellar. It's open from 11am to 9pm for food.

The menu is fairly short - there were 6 mains on offer, 4 of which were vegan. The food is plentiful and cheap - about £3.50 per main course.

78 West Marlands Road, Southampton, SO14 7FW
Tel or Fax - 023 8071 0648
Email - info@soul-cellar.com (info@soul-cellar.com)

musicalveg
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Aye, i love Winchester (for some reason?) last time i was there, many years ago, there was a good wholefood shop.

Yes, the wholefood shop is very good. I visit it about once a month (I visit Winchester for concerts I perform/go to) and stock up on supplies!
The good thing, for me, is they do things ready to eat- I went yesterday, and I got a large spicy lentil thing, a few samosas and some nice cakes (always, unfortunately, much better than my attempts!):D

Certainly worth a look:)

Ruby Rose
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
My friend at work sent me this email today (she's a very cool person, and tells me that the vegan nosh is great and clean):

"As of next Saturday I'm going to be helping out occassionally with the
catering at The Art House on Bedford place, opposite the Lizard Lounge
- it's a not-for-profit arts centre with a veggie and vegan cafe that has recently been opened by some people I know. So if you're in town and you fancy a healthy lunch or some coffee & cake somewhere a bit more laid back than West Quay, then bear it in mind. They're open for coffee and lunch
everyday except Monday and in the evening Tue, Fri and Sat.

They also have WiFi, a vintage clothes shop and a practice space
upstairs if your sitar-weaving group needs somewhere to meet."

http://www.thearthousesouthampton.co.uk/ (http://www.thearthousesouthampton.co.uk/)

Sluggie
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hm. I'm going to be in Southampton tomorrow lunchtime. I might have to drop in and have a snoop around. :)

Ruby Rose
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'd be really interested to know what it's like, Sluggie. I'm thinking of checking it out on Saturday... so I'll follow your recommendation!

Sluggie
Feb 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
I went there today for coffee and chocolate cake. It was very nice - the choccy cake was moist and rich. The place has a bright, laid-back atmosphere with lots of artwork on display. They are still developing their range of savoury food, so I'll have to go back and investigate that another time.

Afterwards I went and had a nose around the Psychic Allsorts Cafe which is just round the corner. It looks really shabby from the outside, but inside it's cosy and inviting. There was a group of people just about to tuck into lunch, and the food looked lovely. I'm going to give it a try next Friday. I think this might become my weekly treat, as I go diving in Southampton every Friday lunchtime. :)

Ara
Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Ohh i'm glad there's more vegan things happening in Southampton. I'm going down in half term so will check these out :)