PDA

View Full Version : Garlic & Onion hater's cook books?

Blue moon
Jun 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I've finally registered so I can ask about this;) so hello too.

I'm struggling to find a vegan cook book that doesn't rely heavily on either onion, garlic or both, they're always in almost every recipe.

I'm no good at replacing/imaginitive stuff myself, but I don't want to spend a fortune ordering books to find the vile stuff in most recipes!

Anyone got any recommendations?

absentmindedfan
Jun 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Just cook without them and add spices/seasoning of your own for flavouring. My OH and I can't digest onion so we just omit them.
Unless you're cooking onion and garlic soup it shouldn't be a problem.

fiamma
Jun 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with AMF, I've stopped cooking with garlic and onion and I use the same recipes as before, I just omit those ingredients. Much prefer it too!

BlackCats
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Yes I used to love garlic and onion and now hate it!
Its totally bizarre I used to cook with onion everyday and garlic bread was one of my my fav food.
Sorry realised what I said isn't helpful but I am just emphasising that I agree with you.

Not so skinny B
Jun 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
The Yoga Cookbook doesn't use either. It is a Vegi / vegan cookbook and considers onion and garlic among other foods to be rajasic foods.
Now that's all I know as I'm no Yogi

mariana
Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
This was posted quite a long time ago so I don't know if you'll ever see my reply, but I just wanted to suggest a Chinese Buddhist vegetarian cookbook (I don't know of any in particular but I'm sure they're out there!)--Buddhist vegetarians don't eat meat, eggs, garlic, onion, or leek (I don't think they specifically avoid milk but since milk isn't usually used in most Asian cuisine it isn't a problem anyway). Hope that helps!

Kitteh
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
There are a few restaurants here that don't used certain spices in their cooking, onion and garlic being two of them.

Just leave em out, I dislike some other spices and will just leave them out, no dramas.

ivandurago
May 1st, 2008, 01:19 AM
Get a Hare Krsna or Hindu cookbook, I believe they don't consume onions/garlic and eat primarily vegetarian.