PDA

View Full Version : Study links foie gras consumption with many serious health issues!

tipsy
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
Study links foie gras consumption with Alzheimer's, arthritis, diabetes, other diseases

"A study published on June 18 in the American Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences has found a link between the consumption of foie gras and other meat products and a number of diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus type 2, tuberculosis, and amyloidosis. The link exists in genetically susceptible individuals.

Liver of a force-fed bird used to make foie gras. A recent study links consumption of this and other meats with diseases such as Alzheimer's, arthritis, and diabetes.
The study was lead by Alan Solomon, M.D., a professor and researcher at the University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine and the director of the Human Immunology and Cancer / Alzheimer's Disease and Amyloid-Related Disorders Research Program. Amyloidoses are a group of disease states caused by the deposition in vital organs of proteins in the form of fibrils, causing a range of symptoms such as swelling and kidney damage. The deposition of amyloid beta in the brain is central in the origin of the disease process of Alzheimer's disease. Foie gras is made from the livers of ducks or geese that have been force-fed:( .
According to Solomon, "we posit that this and perhaps other forms of amyloidosis may be transmissible, akin to the infectious nature of prion-related illnesses [such as mad cow disease]." "In addition to foie gras, meat derived from sheep and seemingly healthy cattle may represent other dietary sources of [the fibrils]." "People with a family history of Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or other amyloid-associated diseases should avoid consuming foie gras and other foods that may be contaminated with fibrils."

EEEK!!! hows that for karma!

Pilaf
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
It's funny how these studies tiptoe around the issue of giving up meat. Usually, these doctors say "Now you may have to cut back on/give up certain types of meat" But they never, ever recommend a vegetarian diet.

I know what one would say, too, if you brought it up.

Doctor: "People should cut back on certain types of meat to reduce their risk."

Me: "But wouldn't cutting out all meat be the best way to eliminate risk?"

Doctor:" But that's so extreme!"

tipsy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
doctors are clueless about nutrition.

trust me i work with them all day long...:rolleyes:

Pilaf
Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
Doesn't the average M.D. only take like forty hours of nutrition total in over eight years of medical education?

The profession of M.D. has nothing to do with keeping people healthy, anyway..they prescribe pills for profit. It's another fucking business.

tipsy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
i dont know if they even get that much time on nutrition.

your right pilaf, doctors learn what they are taught. it is total regurgitation.

they arent smart enough/ have too big of egos to look past the agencies that they dont even know govern thier every move.

the fda controlls what they do and dont know, the studies that they are allowed to read, the drugs they give and how much/ what they know about them.

its all a fucked up conspericy keeping information about health and wellness from the population.

its much better for the fda to keep selling pills that keep making people need more pills and healthcare/ doctors who keep prescribing pills that keep the evil cycle going.

frank language
Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
It's also that the meat and dairy industries have them in their back pocket; the doctors make recommendations based on samples they receive. Lactose intolerant? Try these Lactaid tablets. Brittle bones? You should take these calcium supplements and eat all the dairy products you can.

The renegade doctors like John McDougall aren't given the credit they deserve because they aren't mainstream. (Benjamin Spock? But he's a kids' doctor; and he's dead!) Sucks to be right when no one believes you.

Mahk
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ua129pv-eKE

"Just ask the scientician..." That part cracks me up everytime!:)

frank language
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
"Don't let the name fool you; it's not really a floor!"

Purple
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Haha! That's brilliant :)

Hemlock
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
It's funny how these studies tiptoe around the issue of giving up meat. Usually, these doctors say "Now you may have to cut back on/give up certain types of meat" But they never, ever recommend a vegetarian diet. [/I]!"

I do all the time:) Today I was trying to wean a diabetic patient off the bucket loads of aspartame he eats every day and persuade him to try Stevia instead and more fruit and veg - he said, "If this steve was any good my doctor would have told me about it" I felt like asking hm if he had EVER thought for himself his whole life.

Another one (30 stone) who is on maximum insulin and will probably die in a few years - I tried to gently tell him about the raw vegan studies as they relate to diabetics, he said, "I'd rather die than eat that cr*p":mad:

This sadly is the standard response time and time again.

frank language
Jun 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I do all the time:) Today I was trying to wean a diabetic patient off the bucket loads of aspartame he eats every day and persuade him to try Stevia instead and more fruit and veg - he said, "If this steve was any good my doctor would have told me about it" I felt like asking hm if he had EVER thought for himself his whole life.
People listen to their doctors so they don't have to do any reading for themselves; my mother said she does everything her doctor tells her so she doesn't have to do any research.

The unfortunate thing about aspartame is that it causes a huge array of problems; so doctors still recommend it for weight loss? If they do, I think they must have a vested interest.