PDA

View Full Version : Vegan life in Herts/Beds

emzy1985
Jun 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Ok vegan life everywhere else in the UK seems to be doing pretty well....but I live in what seems to be a dry spot. There is only one veggie restaurant nearby and it isn't even in Hertforshire or Bedfordshire cuz it's in Milton Keynes. Grrr.....hence why I wanna open my own sandwich bar / cafe. I've met one other vegan outside of my AR group (which also doesn't count cuz they all live in Milton Keynes!!!) and he says that it's a dry spot too. I'm in heaven when I go to other towns out of county and I find a vegan/veggie place to eat...it's such a treat and alot of people get to live like that all the time. (I recently found a vegan wholefoods place in Cambridge....but again it's out of county!!)
Is there anyone out there who knows any better? I mean it realy really does suck hardcore!

RedWellies
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Have you tried asking the local Indian restaurants around you if they can cater for you? They may not understand the word vegan but usually know exactly what is in their dishes so you can avoid the unsuitable ones.

You could ask Italian restaurants too. Pizza Express can do a vegan pizza if you have one near you and I think I read that Ask can cater for vegans but you'd have to double check.

In Cambridge there is the Rainbow cafe (http://rainbowcafe.co.uk/start.html) which is a veggie restaurant and they can cater for vegans.

cedarblue
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
imo rainbow cafe is overpriced and there's something not right with the way they work the place - seems like it just a business, not part of their lifestyle.

hertfordshire is a vegan desert emzy - there used to be a vegan/veggie cafe in ware, but now its changed hands, gone trendy and is omni i think now. there's woody's in harpenden, ok if you catch them on a good day, but could do better....etc...etc...

are you a member of a local vegan group or anything??

emzy1985
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I never knew there was a veggie cafe in Cambridge so thanks for that. I knew about the veggie cafe in Ware....my grandparents are buried there. When I went in there it seemed like a veggie cafe run my omni's...I.E everything was cheese and egg. Then they put a sign up in the window saying they now sell meat....mmm yummy that makes me wanna go in there!
The only vegan group I am part of is an AR group and everyone is vegan and it isn't local. I have to travel for that. I wish they were local...like potlucks and stuff like that. Just some vegan friends outside of the AR thing. I will probably try the cafe in Cambridge...just to see! Oh and Woody's in Harpenden???

cedarblue
Jun 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM
oooops sorry, i meant hemel hempstead - here's my local vegan group's link for the address

http://www.hertsveg.makessense.co.uk/locations/1059.html

emzy1985
Jun 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks I'll check it out!!

Antonia
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I used to go to Woodys quite a bit. But their staff can be a bit wierd, they rather offended my nan. I also got fed up with them always being out of their vegan desserts and cakes. It's been a few months though, so I was thinking of going back soon and giving it another go. It's in quite a nice setting - next to the canal. The tofu pizza was nice.

emzy1985
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hmm I've been meaning to give it a try for ages...but I still don't really know where it is!!!

cedarblue
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
i've heard all you said antonia, about the place, lack of vegan desserts, staff getting orders wrong etc - it's all a bit laissez faire apparently..

Antonia
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Emzy 1985 (Metalhead? I'm a bit of a metaller). Anyway...

Woodys Cafe, 19 Dickinsons Quay, Apsley, Hemel Hempsted, HP3 9WG.
( off Belswains Lane ) Telephone: 01442 266280

Sticking that postcode in streetmap.co.uk shows u exactly where it is. It's right on the canal. Parking can be a bit difficult but I've found it works to park at the pub on the opposite side of the canal and walk over the bridge. (To get there, from Apsley you turn into the new development with new hotel and lots of very new looking buildings).

emzy1985
Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Yeh I'm a complete metal head. I live in Luton and spend alot of time in the Edge and the Castle Tavern. Both good metal/alt clubs and pub. (Not much vegan wise on the menu though! :mad:)

I'll check that out next time I get my car serviced in hemel!