PDA

View Full Version : keratosis pilaris

thecatspajamas1
Jun 26th, 2007, 02:29 AM
KP is that bumpy red skin that apparently half the population has on their upper arms. (Looks like tiny pimples, but actually is something different.) Anyway, has anyone found a good way to get rid of it? It goes away when I am tan, but since that's not the best thing to do, I'm looking for an alternative.
Does anyone else get annoyed by this bumpy skin on their arms, or have you found a way to get rid of it? Exfoliation/lotion helps a little, but not a ton...

If you don't know what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

Tigerlily
Jul 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I have no idea! Mine is spreading to my hips and butt now. :(

RedWellies
Jul 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, reading that link it seems like exfoliation should help and maybe really rub/massage yourself when applying body lotion. Also, maybe a humidifier would help, or bowls of water around the house to raise the humidity.

RMS
Jul 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I have KP and I find that exfoliation helps, but even more so using a really good moisturizer. And moisturizing soap. I use soap with shea butter, and a moisturizer with shea, too. It has made the texture on my arms SO much better!

Ruby Rose
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM
The article recommended products with AHAs, didn't it? (I did read that right, didn't I?). Anyone tried the Jason AHA range? Is it any good?

http://www.jasoncosmetics.com/aha-jason-natural-cosmetics.html

xwitchymagicx
Jul 14th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I have that too...exfoliation and a moisturising helps mine...I use a Lush moisturiser (Skin Sin) at the moment.

I have it on my legs and top of my arms.

It doesn't bother me that I have it to be honest. I've seen people with it worse.

RMS
Jul 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
It used to really bother me, but it's really not that obvious if I'm nice to my skin, and so many have it! I haven't tried the Jason AHA range - I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.

thecatspajamas1
Jul 15th, 2007, 02:42 AM
My friend told me that she read somewhere that coconut oil helps, and she said she's going to try it. I think I'm going to try it too.
I also read on a raw blog somewhere that a water fast was able to get rid of it, but I'd rather not do a water fast. :)

thecatspajamas1
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:01 PM
The coconut oil is working. I've been putting it on my skin once/twice a day, and my skin's getting so soft.