PDA

View Full Version : Banoffi Pie recipe please

Sueflower
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
:confused: I would love to make a vegan Banoffi pie. I have tried two the first the fudge was too liquidy and the second was made with alpro caramel desert and wasn't flavoured enough. Anyone a recipe to share with me please?:p

Guacamole Gal
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Oooh yes, if anyone has a recipe for vegan caramel I'd be eternally grateful. Back in the day in my former life as a veggie, someone used to make me a delicious (i know, i hate to say it:o ) caramel by boiling condensed milk in the tin...If anyone else ever did this, have they found a likeness without the animal content?

Poison Ivy
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
There's a recipe here (http://aveganfordinner.blogspot.com/search/label/Dairy%20Free%20Old%20Favourites) for sweetened condensed soymilk which was then used to make Chocolate Caramel Shortbread successfully, so that may be a useful start to making a banoffee pie:)

Guacamole Gal
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Poison Ivy, I swear you are fast becoming my foodie recuer extraordinnaire! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!:D That caramel certainly looks very good indeed..

My only question is, do we have powdered soymilk in the uk? I've never seen it, but then never thought to look for it:confused:

Regular soy milk in it's liquid form might not have the same result I don't think.

harpy
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Actually I would have thought the Alpro stuff might be quite a good starting point - maybe you could add the missing flavouring? AFAICR the boiled condensed milk was extremely sweet so maybe you could add something like maple syrup?

ETA Goodness Direct seem to sell powdered soy milk, and I'm sure I've seen it in larger health food shops as well, can't remember which though :(

Guacamole Gal
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, cheers for the heads-up Harpy, I must look out for that!:)

vegetarian_cat
Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
You HAVE TO try it with COCONUT milk, not with soy milk !

it's supercalifragilisticandspiralidelicious !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only have the recipe in Italian but basically just use

coconut milk, a tiny bit of baking soda and sugar and keep
stirring for an hour

I'll give you the exact recipe if you wish.
let me know.

Sueflower
Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
I would love the recipe please.:)

Bluemew
Jan 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
There's another recipe here..

http://recipes.offline.org.uk/index.php?action=getrecipe&id=17

Now I'm hungry for banoffi pie!