DRESSING:
1T fresh lemon juice
1T balsamic vinegar
1T olive oil
1/4t sugar
1/4t salt
1/4t fresh black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

place green beans into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 5 minutes. drain and plunge beans into ice water; drain. place beans in a large bowl. add tomato, dill, nd navy beans; toss to combine.
combine dressing ingredients, stirring with a whisk. drizzle over salad and toss together. cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Roxy
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM
These are awesome! Thanks again :)

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
MIXED GREENS WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES

2 large beets
8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 onions, peeled and sliced into eight wedges
1 1/2T olive oil
1/2t minced fresh thyme
1/4t fresh pepper
1T sugar
1t dijon mustard
1/4c balsamic vinegar
1/8c dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
8c mixed greens

heat oven to 400 degrees F. wrap beets in foil; roast in a roasting pan for 30 minutes. in a bowl toss together carrots, onions, 2t oil, thyme and 1/2 of the salt & pepper; add to the roasting pan. roast 20 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender. meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, dissolve sugar and mustard in vinegar; add cranberries. simmer for 5 minutes; whisk in remaining salt, pepper & oil. remove from heat. when vegetables are done remove foil from beets and let cool slightly. when cool enough to handle peel beets and cut into 1 inch chunks. mound lettuce onto four plates; top with roasted vegetables and dressing.

Darky_
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I wish i could bring some in here. I'm vegan for about 2(?) years now and all i can do is basic salad with lettuce and tomato and cucumber ... bla bla .. booooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiing:eek:

I need something refreshingly new.

See now this is where the joy of buying loads of new Vegan cookbooks comes in......defiantly. Ohhh the excitement!!! hehehee :p

Heres a stir fry that looks awesome, i am dying to try it.... Race ya!!! lol

Rice noodle Stir-Fry with peanut sauce: serves 4 - double amount if needed: -
(the stir fry)
250g Chinese Rice Noodles
4 tsp toasted sesame Oil
12 spring onions, chopped
200g baby sweetcorn, halved
200g Mange tout, halved
200g Oriental greens such as Bok Choy or chinese leaves, shredded....

(the stir fry Sauce): -
2 tbsp Crunchy peanut butter (animal free please http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_Toofygrin.gif )
2 tbsp Soya sauce
2 tbsp sherry. . . (not the bottle) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar,
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp brown sugar
- Instructions -
Place Rice noodles in a large pan, leave for 4 minutes..(or according to instructions on the packet and try to get egg free pasta, k? ;o) ),
Make stir fry sauce - mix all stuff together....mix mix http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif set aside.
Heat the Sesame Oil in a large saucepan or wok and add prepared Veg - stir fry - leave 2 minutes,
Drain noodles, combine with the veg and sauce, heat 2 minutes again and thats done. . . .easier than it sounds!!!

(Sorry bout the little extras in there like "animal free please", etc...of course you know this. I just copied and pasted this from another site i just posted this for someone and i am not writing and editing againnnn) :P

Carmennny
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I made a really great dressing the other night, Raspberry Vinaigrette.

I don't measure, so I don't know the measurements but it had raspberry wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, oregano and a few crushed raspberries.

It was delicious!

cedarblue
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
i took a crunchy salad of romaine lettuce, red cabbage, fennel, celery, spring onions & poppy seeds to a potluck the other night and made this dressing to go with it - it got loads of great response.
it's from the any phyo 'ani's raw food kitchen' book - i can thoroughly recommend it. it's got lots of good recipes and info and isn't saying you've got to be 100% raw.

5" of cuke, diced
1 orange, peeled and diced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup cashews
1/2 - 1 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea/celtic salt

grind or powder nuts first in a processor
add all the other ingredients
blend/process till smooth

it will keep in a jar in the fridge for 3 - 4 days :)

tipsy
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
it's from the any phyo 'ani's raw food kitchen' book - i can thoroughly recommend it.

i got this for xmas from my mumz!!! it was by far the best gift i got this year!

i love the "scrambles" yumm!

cedarblue
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
yes, those scrambles do sound good. i watched a vid, think it was youtube of ani making the spanish scramble. it's a great book!

sage68
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Does anyone know a good pre-packaged, or a recipe, for a good ranch-like salad dressing? I have always loved ranch dressing but now that I have gone vegan, that is "off limits" due to the buttermilk that tends to be in it. I love salad and have been missing it due to no salad dressing! Not to fond of dry lettuce.

Thanks, Kristi

Mahk
Jan 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I like the blue and the thousand island the best. Sorry no ranch:

Nasoya dressings (http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/dressing_all.html)

If you google the words in quotes "vegan ranch dressing" you get over 1400 hits. Most are easy recipes using vegan mayo (I like Veganaise better than Nayonaise but others disagree). Good luck.

Roxy
Jan 18th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I've tried the Nasoya dressings, just not the ranch one. They are very nice - so the ranch would probably be worth trying.

VeganDaze
Jan 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I just use olive oil and balsamic vinegar, Italian style! That is very tasty. If you really only like the creamy stuff I have also made my own with vegan mayo, oil, lemon juice, herbs etc. You can easily find recipes for that :)

sponge
Jan 19th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I was totally a ranch dressing person and wondered how I would replace it. :rolleyes:I tried Nasoya and it didn't really satisfy my ranch cravings. I bought powdered vegan ranch mix to make your own dressing. That didn't really live up to my expectations either. Then, I discovered Annie's Goddess dressing and I'm way over ranch. It's not a ranch dressing, but it's rich and creamy and vegan. I love it and eat eat on so many things as well as salads. :)

sage68
Jan 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Thank you! I will totally try that. I was such a ranch person, especially when it came to "restaurant" ranch (and I'm sure you know what i mean between restaurant and store-bought) so I am excited to try this.

Bellarose
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Most Italians are vegan friendly. Just a note though, McDonald's Italian Salad Dressing contains anchovies like Caesar (I know, I wondered why too)! I don't usually eat McDonalds for obvious reasons plus I never liked it pre-vegan but that was all that was available one day so I chose salad. Low and behold, I couldn't even eat that! This was a while ago so I cannot say if that has changed, but I would wager it has not.

Risker
Feb 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
According to the website (http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_ingredients.html#4) it's Newmans own which like you say contains anchovies.

Sarah_
Feb 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Oh good, now I don't feel so..."poor college student" for making my own dressing, I usually use balsamic or white vinegar with oil and sprinkle in lemon pepper and garlic salt. It's delish and cheap.

Kitteh
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I was using an oil-free Italian dressing but now I am just using a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt, it's really nice!

Sarah_
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
That actually sounds lovely.

BlackCats
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I have been trying to have a big bowl of salad everyday lately to eat more raw fruit and veg and I like a dressing of Udo's oil, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, ground black pepper, dried basil and dried oregano. It's yummy.:)

I used to really love the Pizza Express salad dressing but it isn't vegan.:rollseyes_ani: When I go in there now I just ask for the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt to put on my salad. I also used to like Lesieur vinaigrette but I haven't checked the ingredients of that yet.

I think I might look up some vegan salad dressing recipes today actually.

Sarah_
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Shockingly, I have all of those ingredients in my cupboards. Definitely trying that salad dressing BlackCats. Don't let me down! ;)

BlackCats
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
^ It's good.:) I saw that you had a strawberry balsamic dressing on the other thread Sarah, was that homemade?

I was going to make some vegan guacamole today but I suppose that isn't really a salad dressing as such.

Sarah_
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Nonsense! Guac is suitable topping for all foods!

The strawberry balsamic dressing isn't homemade, I'm afraid. Store bought, called Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette.

Sarah_
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I've done it! Aside from putting in too much vinegar and too much oil, it was marvelous.

BlackCats
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
^ :) It's a non-yucky way of getting omegas as well as the apple cider vinegar disguises the taste.

I made guac yesterday but I squeezed too much lemon into it, it was still nice though.:cool: I need to buy a garlic press as well.

I found these yesterday.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=255.0