PDA

View Full Version : Going to Sainsburys - please recommend vegan foods to buy

Pages : 1 [2]

sandra
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Yes, it annoys me too when they stop selling something you liked and when you ask them why they say 'It wasn't selling'...............that's funny because everytime I went to buy some there was only a couple of packets or whatever left so someone must have been buying it!
I was in Sainsburys on Saturday and me and hubby went to buy some wine. I asked the fella there if any wine was marked suitable for vegans. He said 'I'll go and get so and so' (not exact words but I can't remember his name.........I think so and so was a manager type).
Anyway, over came this older manager type and I asked again nicely, 'Have you any wine suitable for vegans?'
He looked at me as if I was insane and said, 'We just sell the wine, I mean I can't recommend wine to you because you are vegetarian or vegan'.
He actually thought I wanted him to suggest a 'good' wine for me to drink with my vegan meal!
I had to explain to him what I meant and about the wine-making process (which made me look like some kind of know-it-all) and eventually he understood what I was getting at.
I mean though for goodness sake, he's working in the alcohol department and he doesn't even know if any of the bottles are marked suitable for vegans.....................I wasn't asking him to do a wine-tasting session for me!

Blue moon
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I sometimes wonder what constitutes a "selling" item. Sainsburys ages ago used to sell their own brand vegan soft cheese. They stopped, and when I asked the nearest staff member where it had gone, she said she had had loads of people asking where it had gone!

Ta Sandra, I'm def gonna look for those nuggets:)

harpy
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
aargh, what an ignoramus, Sandra.

At least the wine chap in our local Waitrose now, whenever he sees me coming, says shiftily, "I must do something about sorting out that list of vegetarian and vegan wines" :D

sandra
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
:D Let's hope my chappy adopts the same approach Harpy!:)

harpy
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM
:D Let's hope my chappy adopts the same approach Harpy!:)

Constant dripping...

aubergine
Jul 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Sainsbury's seeded organic wholemeal rolls make great burger buns. They have seeds all the way through.

~*Sarah*~
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM
i tried those pot noodle type things but they made me feel sick. there's so much salt in them and probably MSG, i'm allergic to MSG i think. :(

nope no MSG in em :) theres something addictive in em though cause i'v had one every day this week lol! mmmmm!

as supermarkets go sainsburys is definately amongst the best of a bad bunch.

its impossible (well for me anyway) to always get food from health food shops, and when everyone you know eats meat, sainsburys can be a lifesaver. makes it alot easier when non-vegans are catering for me.

i really really wanna try those vegetable dunkers now mmm hehe

and i hope they get the alcohol labelled soon... might try and take that up with em next time i go!

Blue moon
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I know what's addictive for me about those noodle pots Sarah...

kettle on, pour water in, eat:D