PDA

View Full Version : Summer Meals

RubyDuby
Jul 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Every night when I go to make dinner my apartment turns into a sauna. What are some good summer meals that don't require a lot of stove or oven time?

I can only eat so much salad and fresh fruit on my budget... tonight I had a smoothie, a subway sandwich and will microwave some brussell sprouts for craving purposes only...

twinkle
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Start hanging out with people who like cooking for others ;)

Uh, sorry, I don't have any sensible suggestions... although - what about getting up very early when it's still cool and cooking a few things in bulk that you can eat cold for a little while, like pasta salad, potato salad, tabbouleh, tofu quiche, that kind of thing? Coleslaw is nice in summer and shouldn't be too expensive to make in bulk.

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Start hanging out with people who like cooking for others ;)
eh, I wish. I only know 1 person who shares my diet. Luckily he shares in the cooking. unluckily, he shares the apartment as well.

Uh, sorry, I don't have any sensible suggestions... although - what about getting up very early when it's still cool and cooking a few things in bulk that you can eat cold for a little while, like pasta salad, potato salad, tabbouleh, tofu quiche, that kind of thing? Coleslaw is nice in summer and shouldn't be too expensive to make in bulk.

mmm I love cabbage. cole slaw is a good idea. tabbouleh too. they have that boxed stuff that would be easy. I cant get up any earlier... not a morning person and I'm already forced up at 5:30 :(

Roxy
Jul 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
What about chickpea based salads? I made a lovely one to take to work last night for my dinner.

thecatspajamas1
Jul 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM
What about sandwiches and wraps? I like making avocado and tomato sandwiches.

If you want to know lots of recipes that don't require heat, look up some raw food recipes. (Can't think of a link offhand)

piggy
Jul 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
i like making salads with any type of canned legume...beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas...just add oil lemon juice/vinegar and spices or chopped veggies. i like to eat it with bread, crackers etc..these salads are nicer if left to stand in the fridge for a while!

Robert
Jul 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I do not cook much as a rule but for summer standby I have cooked frozen beans in the freezer and can whip that up with a tomato sauce fairly quickly for home made baked beans...

Otherwise I just steam or microwave broccoli and have that with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.

For the rest I do not cook in the summer much so if we are not having a bbq (and grilling veg then) I just stick to raw foods.

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys!

cold chickpea curry salad would be a good idea! We cook our dogs food in big batches. I could make some extra chickpeas, lentils, pasta etc for salads to chill for our dinners. I think I saw a recipe somewhere for a mock tuna salad made with chickpeas, veganaise and kelp powder. I should look that back up. Also saw a recipe in rd for a salad made with canned black beans, canned mexi-style corn, canned tomatoes and fresh leeks and lemon juice. They also suggested chilling for at least 8 hours. Will try that too.

i love sandwiches too, catspj's, (esp avacado) but the problem is the expense of keeping fresh veggies. I do eat them as often as I can, but thats only a couple times a week. luckily its avacado season... $1 each at Ralphs!

thecatspajamas1
Jul 9th, 2007, 12:44 AM
You lucky duck, avocados are $2 here.