PDA

View Full Version : Going on a tour of scotland - am i going to starve?

Bobbi Luvs U
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
i've never been to scotland before, and i have never had to travel out of the country as a vegan before. i'm not really sure what i am going to do as i doubt i will be able to go to a store or anything while i am there. i imagine that all of the meals are pre-planned. any suggestions? :confused:

cobweb
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I live in Scotland and certainly don't starve! :D .
Obviously if you're going on a set tour with pre-planned meals you need to contact the organisers asap and tell them how important vegan options are for you :eek: .
If all else fails then i have asked for vegetable soup, lentil soup, chips (fries) and salads, or potatoes with vegetables when i've been out and about and it's usually no huge problem, just be specific.

Whereabouts will you be going?.

horselesspaul
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Oh no! It's all haggis and deep fried Mars Bars 'n' "juice" isn't it?
Seriously, like cobweb says it should be fine. Just be very specific and assertive.
Scotland is fab. Mostly. My sister lives there.

gogs67
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Watch the soup though,quite often they use a lamb or ham stock in Scotland!Where are you going,what kind of things will you be up to and i'm sure the locals on this board can give you a few pointers!
http://84.234.17.160/images/smilies/Saltire2.gif

aubergine
Jul 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I know a Vegan who lives in Edinburgh, and she's always making me jealous with the choice of Vegan food.

daniel22132090
Jul 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
How long will your tour be over in Scotland? Remember, even Scotland has fruits & vegtables:) Enjoy!!

Stu
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Wow - even Scotland has fruits & vegetables!? Before you know it, they'll have flushing toilets.

Stu
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I know a Vegan who lives in Edinburgh, and she's always making me jealous with the choice of Vegan food.

Yeah, but Edinburgh isn't really representative of Scotland though, is it? I mean, even many Scots don't consider it to be part of Scotland, but an English city which happens to be in Scotland.

veganbikerboy
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Wow - even Scotland has fruits & vegetables!?

they do but they are battered and deep fried

harpy
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Glasgow, as well as Edinburgh, is OK for vegan-friendly restaurants. I imagine other largeish towns are as well they usually have "ethnic" (e.g. Indian or Chinese) places that can manage something. Smaller towns could be more difficult.

As cobweb has suggested, can you get on to whoever is doing the meal planning and ask them to make sure they include something vegan for you?

Heartsease
Jul 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Wow - even Scotland has fruits & vegetables!? Before you know it, they'll have flushing toilets.

What's a flushing toilet?:p

To OP:
Well....we're in Scotland....most snoopy-markets (supermarkets/big food stores) have plenty of vegan options...and yes indeedie we have frrrrrrruit (Iym rolling my r's) and veggie-tables. We Scots invented them.....:D

Smaller towns are usually fyne since most have a wee health food shop or a deli-type place that'll do enough stuff to get by on. I have to sail to the mainland myself cuz that's where the nearest toon is.

Are you needing somewhere to stay for a night or so?

aubergine
Jul 10th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I mean, even many Scots don't consider it to be part of Scotland, but an English city which happens to be in Scotland.

Really?

gogs67
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Really?
Nah;) ,there's a real 'anglified' feel to the posh central part in the New Town but the rest of it is as Scottish as anywhere else.And now,with 20,000 Poles moving here in the last 3 years there's a far more cosmopolitan feel to it!http://84.234.17.160/images/smilies/thumbupyellow.gif

cobweb
Jul 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
it's like that up here, too, gogs (Fraserburgh area), most people seem to be Russian or Polish these days :confused:

Stu
Jul 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Really?

Yeah, at least, according to a bunch of Glaswegians I know.

gogs67
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, at least, according to a bunch of Glaswegians I know.
Haha,you listened tae weegies?They don't just tend to have a chip on their shoulder about their city,more of a bag of chips!http://84.234.17.160/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://84.234.17.160/images/smilies/animlol.gif

Cobweb
it's like that up here, too, gogs (Fraserburgh area), most people seem to be Russian or Polish these days :confused:

Haha,i'm slowly trying to learn a bit of Polish now as i'm meeting so many it's kinda rude not to!

DoveInGreyClothing
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'm from near Glasgow- there is a vegan restaurant called Mono, 2 vegan-friendly veggie restaurants called Grassroots and 13th note, and various vegan-friendly ethnic food places too- so you won't starve if you're looking for somewhere to eat out! :)

VegaNicky
Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi dear friends, i'm going to travel in scotland, in edinburgh and aberdeen.
Can somebody tell me where i can find vegan shop and Tofutti products?
Thanx everybody!

Stine
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Central in Edinburgh there is a very good health food store on rose street.. Parallel to Princes street which is the shopping street :)
I bought tofutti products there when i lived in Edinburgh.. But some supermarkets got it as well.

VegaNicky
Oct 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Oh thank you very much! I'm going to have some vegan shopping!!! ;)

cobweb
Oct 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Tesco in Aberdeen is good, even has Cheezly in the cheddar section of the cheese chiller :).

I am just about to move to Orkney - don't think I'll starve (you can get fruit and veg all over the U.K :p) but there'll be a definite change to our family meals/treats :rolleyes:.

herbwormwood
Oct 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
In Edinburgh we like Annapurna and The Engine Shed.