PDA

View Full Version : Redwoods new cubed Feta style Cheezly

Pages : [1] 2

Aberbrothock
Jul 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Just back from the local health food shop and noticed a tub of cubed Feta style Cheezly. Looks identical to the "normal" stuff floating in olive oil. Not sure if I'm brave enough to buy it yet!

Pob
Jul 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I tasted that at the VIVA festival. Was pretty good actually. Bit greasy not surprisingly.

harpy
Jul 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Oh, little pieces in a jar of oil? They used to do that a few years back and I liked it, but then they discontinued it. It was good for making "feta" and spinach pies with filo pastry. (Mind you their other cheeses work for that as well.)

BlackCats
Jul 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I tried that at Viva show as well, I didn't realise it was new. (I just stood at Redwood stand with toothpicks spearing lots of different stuff.) It was really nice from what I remember.

pookah
Jul 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Just back from the local health food shop and noticed a tub of cubed Feta style Cheezly. Looks identical to the "normal" stuff floating in olive oil. Not sure if I'm brave enough to buy it yet!

Go on be BRAVE :)

Gorilla
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
i thought it tasted just like their normal cheese, just covered in oil. not very reminiscent of feta imo.

harpy
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
i thought it tasted just like their normal cheese, just covered in oil.

I think you might be on to something there ;)

Digital Ghost
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I tried this at bristol vegan festival but didnt like it (sorry).

I just thought it was oily and tasted really flavourless - having said that I havent actually ever eaten real feta cheese so it may be a good likeness?

twinkle
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I always thought feta either just tasted of salt (in a good way) or of salty rancid butter (not in such a good way). I never thought of it having much flavour apart from rancidity if I got a bad batch, so by making it flavourless Redwoods are probably being fairly true to the original :)

cobweb
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
i thought it tasted just like their normal cheese, just covered in oil. not very reminiscent of feta imo.

I always find your observations (especially food-related ones) highly amusing, Gorilla :D .

Myself, I'm giving up all 'fake' cheeses forthwith because I cannot buy it without eating a whole block in one day and really its unnecessary and a bit disgusting :o .

Gorilla
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
lol thanks cobweb. :) i know what you mean about cheese subtitutes, they are a bit of a luxury item for me and i find they go mouldy if i don't eat them all at once, which is doubly annoying. :rolleyes:

i always thought feta was mostly just salty too twinkle, but i didn't think the Redwoods one came close to being salty enough, even though their regular cheese is fairly salty anyway. it's not crumbly enough either, it's too rubbery to have the feta-like texture.

harpy
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I cannot buy it without eating a whole block in one day and really its unnecessary and a bit disgusting :o .

<has idea about what to have for dinner>

twinkle
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM
hehe @ harpy :D

bryzee86
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I completely agree. I tasted a cube at Viva! veggie show in London and thought it was greasy cheesly, until I saw that it was, well, floating greasy cheesly.

Marrers
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
i find they go mouldy if i don't eat them all at once
I have that problem too. Has anyone ever frozen excess cheese?

cobweb
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Marrers i did once ask Redwoods about freezing but they advised against it. I'd be intrigued to know if it works, though, might have to try it! :D .

Marrers
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Lol - so says the woman who can't even keep a block for one day! ;)

cobweb
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:14 PM
:o

at least if froze it i wouldn't be able to scoff it all so easily :p

BlackCats
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Exactly - I thought why would anyone let vegan "cheese" go mouldy?
I would eat it in one day myself ...cheese and crackers, celery and cheese sandwiches with plamil mayo, pizza topping etc...:p

cobweb
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
phew, not just me, then :D
if i have it it just calls my name from the fridge til i eat it :o - my favourite way is just squashed between 2 slices of hot toasted bread (mmmmmmm) or on a pizza (am hungry now!)

puffin
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Lol cobweb, i have a vision of a whole slab of cheezly in between two slices of thin bread.

I have never eaten feta cheese before either so have no idea what it is suppose to taste like but you lot have put me right of.

BlackCats
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I used to love cheese - feta, halloumi, brie - the saltier and more unhealthy the better:o

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Exactly - I thought why would anyone let vegan "cheese" go mouldy?
I would eat it in one day myself ...cheese and crackers, celery and cheese sandwiches with plamil mayo, pizza topping etc...:p

i only really buy it if i have a craving for it, but then once i've bought some and started eating it i remember i don't like it that much and have trouble finishing it. :rolleyes: so if i do crave it i try to remind myself of the little bit that ends up going funny at the back of the fridge because i didn't want it. :p

cobweb
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
it's not actually all that nice, is it, it's sooooo salty :rolleyes: . I think it's the texture that i crave more than anything.........

BlackCats
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:53 PM
CW - its the texture you miss - not the taste.
(sorry if that sounds pervy:p )