PDA

View Full Version : Canteen Recipes

emzy1985
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ok I'm trying to convince my canteen at work to make all the vegetarian options vegan. They are willing to consider it but they need cheap and quick to make recipes. Think school meal kinda idea and sandwhichs. Any ideas?

harpy
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well done. There is the old standby of the hummus and salad sandwich, which is rather boring but would probably be popular with omnivores as well. It would also be cheap if they made the hummus in house.

Also how about stuff like lentil shepherd's pie and pasta all'arrabiata (although pasta does tend to get a bit overcooked in canteen-type settings)? Baked potatoes with beans?

twinkle
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
First thing I thought was lentil shepherds pie! great minds, eh? ;)

Bean chilli? That's usually popular as long as it's got enough seasoning.

Could go old school and do lentil or nut rissoles.

Stir fry with rice or eggless noodles.

A salad bar with tabbouleh, bean salad, coleslaw with an oil and vinegar dressing instead of mayo, as well as leaf salad. Nut and seed sprinkles and croutons on the side?

harpy
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Think the mention of school dinners probably triggers shepherd's pie!

Some more ideas here although some of them look a bit repulsive (TVP lasagne? :p )

http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/files/phatfile/caterpack.pdf

thecatspajamas1
Jul 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
rice and beans

avocado wraps

Maisiepaisie
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
What are the veggie options they have now? I'm thinking they might prefer to make something similar rather than a total change and maybe the veggie dishes could be veganised.

emzy1985
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The veggie options at the moment are:

vegetable wellington
farmhouse pie
veg kiev
cauliflour and brocolli bake
chic pea curry with rice

However most of the time they just do cheese & onion pies, egg noodle stir fry, creamy soup things, pizza, quiche. I dunno the menu changes monthly but there is NEVER an entirely vegan option.

The ideas you guys have so far are wikked. Shepards pie is always a good one!

Glossgirl
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
My favorite canteen food is soups because they are cheap to buy and taste delicious :)