PDA

View Full Version : Veganism in the 1960's

cobainist403
Oct 30th, 2004, 02:26 PM
I am doing a sociology project and I have to interview someone who lived during the 1960's, preferably that was a vegan or knew about the vegan movement during the 60's.

If you can help me out then let me know, asap!

cowpie
Oct 30th, 2004, 05:34 PM
I lived during the sixties (yes, I'm old...hahaha). I wasn't aware that there WAS a vegan movement in the 60's. There was a "hippie" movement going on, and I believe most hippies were into vegetarianism, but I never heard the word vegan. I believe when the "hippie" era faded, so did vegetarianism. They were thought of as weird (not unlike those of us who are vegans/vegetarians today). I'd be glad to answer any questions I can about that era, though.....

cobainist403
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:14 PM
Well veganism started and was defined in the UK in the 1940's. It came to the US in the 1960's.

PinkFluffyCloud
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Why don't you ask eve to help you. I know she's been vegan for 30 years or so, a little bit later than you want, but I'm sure she could help?

tails4wagging
Oct 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM
The Vegan society here in the UK is celebrating its 60yrs and has reproduced an old newsletter. You could try them?

gertvegan
Oct 31st, 2004, 04:31 PM
HERES (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885) the UK vegan society 1944 magazine as mentioned. :)

You could email the Uk vegan society and ask them to forward your questions to Donald Watson himself.

cobainist403
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Can I interview anyone that lived during the 1960's and can tell me about veganism during that time? Even if you don't recall any "movements" or activism regarding veganism, any info will suffice.

Thanks!

veganeil
Dec 10th, 2005, 02:31 PM
The story you want to write sounds interesting, it would be interesting to read...obviously depending on who you talk to you would end up getting all different kinds of stories. SIDES TO A STAND

Imagine one day we speak with people from all over the universe. Imagine there were/are places where "humans" are eaten in the way people on earth eat other animals...sounds tragic....

The only thing we can hope for is to promote veganism here on earth and branch out-ward so that one day perhaps the entire universe can be vegan.... perhaps we could get help from "out-there" , perhaps we can help others "out there"

Sorry, I did not mean to go too far off your topic, but sometimes it takes one point to lead into another....

coconut
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM
After the Bristol Vegan Fayre there was a buffet held at a restaurant afterwards, and I had an interesting conversation with a man who owned one of the stalls. He told me what it was like to be a vegetarian in the 60s. Even being veggie back then was amazingly difficult. People really thought you were a loony. There was no labelling on food and obviously no internet or similar community where you could meet other veggies.