PDA

View Full Version : The Big Bean Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Artichoke47
Oct 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I have black beans and barbeque navy beans cooking. Man, do they smell good! What are your favorites to cook?

MzNatural
Oct 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM
My favorites are garbanzo beans, lima Beans, navy beans, and black beans. I am going to cook garbanzo beans after my daughter goes to sleep. :)

PinkFluffyCloud
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Broad beans, fresh out of the pods.

cedarblue
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM
cooked some mung beans t'other night to make kenyan dengu (yum!), mmmmmm mung beans. they smelt strangely like canned marrowfat peas.

chick peas also smell real good cooking :)

Mystic
Oct 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
What is Kenyan dengu?

I like the smell of all cooking beans, particularly chickpeas and split peas...mmm dhal - I think I might make split pea dhal tomorrow :)

cowpie
Oct 30th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I like almost any bean.....great northern beans are great for bean soup, black beans for Cuban black beans and rice, garbanzo beans for hummus or whatever, chili beans for chili.....I've never met a bean I didn't like.....

Northern Lights
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:37 AM
Black beans cooked, mashed with toasted sesame oil and garlic, spread on flatbread, covered with a peice of nori, add strips of avocado and peppers, roll into vegan 'sushi'.

Chickpeas into hummus.

Blackeyed beans marinated with lemon juice, red onions and spices as a salad.

Chili with navy, kidney and lots of veggies.

Yum- I want supper now!

cedarblue
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:13 PM
What is Kenyan dengu?

I like the smell of all cooking beans, particularly chickpeas and split peas...mmm dhal - I think I might make split pea dhal tomorrow :)

i have added the kenyan dengu recipe in the recipe thread :)

MzNatural
Oct 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM
Broad beans, fresh out of the pods.

I forgot about that. I like freshly picked sweet peas, and Indian beans (I am unsure of their proper name.) :p

Mystic
Oct 31st, 2004, 11:05 PM
i have added the kenyan dengu recipe in the recipe thread :)

Thanx cedar :)

foxytina_69
Feb 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
i went to a restaurant and had these, and i copied them as best as i could without knowing the ingredients, and came out with something better :D (they deep fry theirs and mine taste way better :cool: )

ingredients:
-2 cups frozen green beans
-1/2 teaspoon tahini
-1/2 teaspoon ginger puree
-2 teaspoons garlic powder
-couple pinches of chili flakes
-1/4 - 1/2 cup soya sauce (the more you use, the stronger tasting they are)
-either sesame oil (if you dont care about fat content) or vegetable broth (if you do care about fat content) to fry them.
-sesame seeds

throw all ingredients into pan over medium heat (using either sesame oil or veggie broth) cook until green beans are fully cooked (roughly ten minutes or so) and liquid is cooked off. sprinkle with sesame seeds, pour into asian looking dish and serve with chopsticks :D you wouldnt think 1/2 tsp of tahini and ginger would be strong enough for that many beans but it really is. sometimes i might add an extra 1/4 of a teaspoon of tahini. the tahini is very strong.

these are very low in calories and fat, so u can eat tons of them!

Want2BVegan
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hi everyone!

New strict vegetarian here! I am clueless when it comes to beans. I am currently researching the net for some recipes, but if there are any tried-and-true recipes here, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!! :D

DianeVegan
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Here are a few:

Your favorite chile recipe - substitute crumbled veggie burgers of any type if you were a meat eater.

Cannellini beans sauteed with virgin olive oil, garlic and sage - salt and pepper optional. Also good with a roasted pepper chopped and mixed in.

Chick peas (also called garbanzo beans) sauteed with onion, celery, carrot, ginger (all finely minced) and a touch of cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne (if you like it hot). Sautee the veggies first, then add the beans and spices. Add veg stock if you don't want oil. Finish with chopped tomato and parsley.

This is an adaptation of Fettuccine Alfonso from "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook"

2 cups (1 16 oz can) canned white beans (white navy, cannellini, etc)
2 cups plain nondairy milk (or more)
2 tablespoons sesame tahini
1 tablespoon onion powder (or garlic powder)
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional) - makes it more "cheesy"
Salt to taste
1 pound fettuccine or linguine

While pasta is cooking blend all other ingredients in food processor or blender, then heat in a saucepan. Adjust for thickness and taste. Add soybeans or peas, optional.

Enjoy

Want2BVegan
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks a bunch, those sound great :)

Tigerlily
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Chickpeas and fava beans are quite nice when served cold in a salad. It perks up a salad and also increases the nutrional value!

veganful
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Anybody hear of Channa Masala?

Ingredients:
2 14-oz cans chickpeas (garbanzos),
1 can 14-oz stewed tomatoes,
2 small onions (chopped small),
3 cloves garlic (chopped small),
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil,
2 tsp. garam masala powder,
1 tsp. curry powder,
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes,
1/4 tsp. cumin powder,
1/4 tsp. turmeric (or your favorite Indian spice combination, about 4 tsp. in all), salt, black pepper

Preparation: Heat the oil on medium in a frying pan, then add the garlic and spices and brown them well. Mix in the onions and cook until softened. In the meantime, drain the tomatoes but reserve the juice, and chop them a little. Add to the pan first the chopped tomatoes, saute slightly, then follow with the drained chickpeas and the reserved tomato liquid. Put in enough water to almost cover the vegetables, stir well and cook until the chickpeas are tender and the masala is no longer soupy. At the end, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serves 4.
Serve on top of basmati rice, prepared as follows: put the desired amount of rice (about 1/2 cup for each person) in a pot with twice as much boiling water, cover and reduce heat to low-medium and cook until the rice is tender (lift the cover and check quickly, then cover back up); then leave covered for about 10 more minutes. You could add salt and several saffron strands to the boiling water if you want the rice salty and with a nice yellow hue.

Since I am lazy, I rarely make the basmati rice. Just regular steamed rice.

DianeVegan
Apr 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks!

That looks better than the recipe I have.

veganful
Apr 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Sorry if I offended you by posting that recipe up. I missed that part of your message. I guess I am guilty of skimming... :D

ileana

Kiva Dancer
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Hummus! :D

juice of a lemon
tin of chickpeas with water saved
palmfull of cumin (give or take)
garlic - about a clove or so
spoonfull of tahini
olive oil to taste

Pulverise chickpeas with everything else to the desired consistency. Use the oil and bean water to help thin it out to where you want it. Serve with everything vegans can consume. :D

DianeVegan
Apr 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Oh, Ileana, don't be sorry. You didn't offend me! What I meant was your recipe looks better than the recipe I use for Channa Masala. I guess I should have stated that better.

Want2BVegan
Apr 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the recipes!

I've always wanted to make my own hummus!

That Channa Masala sounds great!

:D

Marie
Jun 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know a nice recipe with aduki beans - one you already have tried out?

Glen
Jun 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Actually, I had a curry last night which I put aduki beans in. They go great in any curry sauce with other vegetables and chick peas. Or alternatively, they are good just mixed in with some brown rice :)

sophia
Jun 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM
blue dragon pie.

Boil the aduki beans, then dice and fry an onion in olive oil, add the cooked aduki beans, and a couple of diced carrots. Let this cook for about five mins, then add some tomato purree, soy sauce and mixed herbs. Place in an oven dish and top with mashed potato. Sprinkle some parmazano (or other vegan cheese) on the top and cook for 40 mins 200 c. :)

Marie
Jun 8th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks both of you for your quick reply. IŽll try one of them tomorrow already.