PDA

View Full Version : vegetable Oxo cubes???

pudding06
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
please feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.

I have seen some vegan recipes that state Vegetable Oxo Cubes in them.

I always used to use them but for some reason didnt think they were vegan so have switched. may be I was mistaken, but as I have a tin full of them, and no boxes with ingredisents on them I wondered if anyone knew.

I've emailed the company but as yet no response. - theyre probabluy on wikipidia finding out what a vegan is lol.

nicola

Risker
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Salt, potato starch, wheatflour, flavour enhancers (monosodium glutamate, Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides), flavourings (contains celery), onion extract, dried glucose syrup, hydrogenated vegetable oil, carrot extract, yeast extract, tapioca dextrin, dried tomato, dried herbs (Parsley, bay and thyme) and sugar.

pudding06
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
E635 : Sodium ribonucleotides

Origin:
Mixture of sodium salts of guanylic (E626 (http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e626.htm)) and inosinic acid (E630 (http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e630.htm)).
Function & Characteristics:
Flavour enhancer. Guanylates and inosinates do not have the specific umami taste but strongly enhance many other flavours, thereby reducing the amounts of salt or other flavour enhancers needed in a product.
Products:
Used in many products. Mainly used in low sodium/salt products.
Acceptable daily intake (ADI):
None determined. Guanylates and inosinates may not be used in products intended for children under 12 weeks.
Side effects:
Asthmatic people should avoid guanylates and inosinates. As guanylates and inosinates are metabolised to purines, they should be avoided by people suffering from gout. However, the concentrations used are generally so low that no effects are to be expected.
Dietary restrictions:
Guanylates and inosinates are generally produced from meat, but partly also from fish. They are thus not suitable for vegans and vegetarians, and in most cases not suitable for Jews, Muslims and Hindus, depending on the origin of the product. Only the producer can provide information on the origin.

Risker
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
The box has suitable for vegetarians printed on it.

RedWellies
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Try Kallo (cubes and powder) or Marigold (just powder I think). Some are labelled as vegan.

~*Sarah*~
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
yeah the oxo veg ones are ok
marigold stock is good, and i do remember getting vegan stock cubes from a health food shop but unfortunately cant remember what it was called!

kiwi.tyger
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Vegan Swiss Boullion is always a safe bet. You can get it from some supermarkets (my local Sainsburys has it, Morrissons doesn't) and health food stores.

Cherry
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Last time I looked, basic marigold powder WASN'T vegan (lactose), but the organic one was and was labelled as such.

I use vecon (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/600210.html) :cool: It's fab!