PDA

View Full Version : Instead of using plastic carrier bags

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maisiepaisie
Jul 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I just received my Onya bags (http://www.onyabags.co.uk/) today. I'm really impressed with the way they go into a really small pouch which will fit into my handbag. I often forget to take carrier bags with me when going shopping so end up getting new ones. If you click the 'plastic bags are not cool' sign on the main page its shows a list of facts about plastic bags, one of them being that they can get injested by animals who then die. After their bodies decompose the bag is freed to be injested by another animal and so on. Even bags disposed of in the bin can get blown out of landfill and cause hazard for animals. Normally I use carrier bags to line the bin but I don't want to do this anymore after reading what can happen. I can't imagine any plastic being safe for the environment so maybe the best way is to not line the bin with a bag and just tip the rubbish into the big bin as it gets full. I'm going to do that from now on unless anyone has any better ideas. I will try to reuse all my plastic bags until they rip then they can go into the recycling bin. I really don't want anything to do with plastic bags after that. They should be made illegal considering the amount of damage they do :(

I remember when Tesco had the blue box scheme a few years ago. You would buy the big blue boxes which fit onto a special trolley and you would use the boxes to carry your groceries home. It was scrapped unfortunately, I think because of lack of interest. A shame because it seemed like a really good idea.

philfox
Jul 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
oh wow they are so fab! and not bad prices too, i save carriers here but still forget to take them to the store with me. i like the back pack one, good for carrying those tins back ;) (and wine...)

Tigerlily
Jul 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I try my best to remember to bring my reusable bags. I have three canvas bags (small, medium, and large) and one sturdy plastic bag that's meant to be reusable. My mom doesn't use reusable bags, so sometimes I reuse her plastic shopping bags.

The supermarket here as that box scheme but the plastic boxes are green. They're nice but heavy if you are walking home with your groceries--especially if your box is filled with heavy things like soy milk, etc.

Sluggie
Jul 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I always keep shopping bags in my car - soft cooler bags are brilliant for carrying groceries. When I first started doing it, I would often forget to put them back in the car after I'd emptied them, but it's become an ingrained habit now.

heat13
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
If anyone is looking for a nice reusable bag that you can carry as a purse or a school bag for books or something too, my neighbor handmakes these bags:
www.robinleedesigns.etsy.com (http://www.robinleedesigns.etsy.com)

She uses recycled fabrics and materials too! They are very sturdy and also super cute:) She will ship all over too!

Maisiepaisie
Mar 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
This is great news. The government is planning to impose a charge on plastic bags. Here's the article from the GMTV website http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=28737 They were talking about the issue on the show a few days ago.

mogthecat
Mar 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I've got 4 big canvas bags from reuseablebags.com (in the US so, retrospectively, not good because of air miles, but they were the best - and best priced - I could find). They also sell velcro sandwich packs which are fully washable and very sturdy. We used to use 2 disposable sandwich bags each day so that's a big plastic saving!

Digital Ghost
Mar 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
They seem to put everything in a plastic bag in some countries - its like they really dont care or see it as a problem.

Today while waiting at the checkout I watched the person before me buy an ice cream (single serving stick type). The check out assistant found a small plastic bag for it........2 minutes later the bag and wrapper had both been thrown in the bin.

cedarblue
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I've got 4 big canvas bags from reuseablebags.com (in the US so, retrospectively, not good because of air miles, but they were the best - and best priced - I could find). They also sell velcro sandwich packs which are fully washable and very sturdy. We used to use 2 disposable sandwich bags each day so that's a big plastic saving!

have you looked at the japanese bento lunchbox thread mog? what about getting a couple of them? or at least check out the fabby lunches in them :)

Today while waiting at the checkout I watched the person before me buy an ice cream (single serving stick type). The check out assistant found a small plastic bag for it........2 minutes later the bag and wrapper had both been thrown in the bin.

some people see the purchase of their item going in a bag as 'all part of the shopping experience' - it's ludicrous!! :(

i am using a really big 5 m&s cloth/woven square bag now for my bottle/can purchases and those 10p ones from sains & waitrose - but when they give out i think instead of getting my new free one, i'll get some more strong cloth/woven ones.

i wonder with those 10p ones they renew for you whether the ripped/broken one you hand in goes into recycling? hope so.

Digital Ghost
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Out of interest - I use bags made by this company http://www.freitag.ch ...........been using them for about 6 years now and they havent broken on me yet.

sandra
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have a bit of a dilema regarding supermarket plastic bags. We shop at Tesco and re-use the bags to put used cat litter in. As we have 11 cats you can imagine there is quite a lot of cat litter to get rid of.
So, even if we stopped using the supermarket bags we would have to buy other plastic bags to dispose of the cat litter.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? :)

cobweb
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
i suppose you could use biodegradeable bin bags for the litter, sandra - go round with the same large bin bag and do all the litter trays with the one bag?

sandra
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Good idea Cobweb............are those bags like plastic? It's just if I used paper bags the wet cat litter seeps through. :)
Aswell as that it says on the Tesco bags that they are 100% degradeable so I suppose they are as good as any to use. If they stop giving out free bags it will just mean more expense for me but I suppose I'm used to sacrifices like that by now! :)

cobweb
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
^ yes, sandra, i was thinking of the biodegradeable black plastic bin bags, but if tesco ones are now also biodegreadeable, as you say you're probably just as well off using them anyway!.

it's a pity you can't turn it all into something useful like compost or fire fuel - probably be a bit smelly though, hmm.

sandra
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, I was thinking about that.................it would be good if it could be 're-used' in some way as we have at least 15 bags (supermarket size) of it a week! :eek:
Aswell as that our council is now only doing bin collections once a fortnight instead of every week. We already re-cyle everything we can so what we put in our 'ordinary' bin can't be re-cycled. We really need that bin emptied every week so it looks as though we are going to have to load our extra rubbish into the car and take it to the dump ourselves! :(

mogthecat
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
As we have 11 cats you can imagine there is quite a lot of cat litter to get rid of.
So, even if we stopped using the supermarket bags we would have to buy other plastic bags to dispose of the cat litter.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? :)

Out of interest, do you let your cats out to do their 'business' in the garden? We have litter for ours because we keep them in at night but they seem to prefer to wait for the day and 'go' outside so we rarely have to change the litter. :D

sandra
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Mogthecat..........yes they go outside aswell but for some reason seem to love the indoor cat litters too! Not only do I have about 8 cat litters to clean out numerous times a day but I then have to clear any 'mess' they've left out in the back garden!
I love them though and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

mogthecat
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi Mogthecat..........yes they go outside aswell but for some reason seem to love the indoor cat litters too! Not only do I have about 8 cat litters to clean out numerous times a day but I then have to clear any 'mess' they've left out in the back garden!
I love them though and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

I'm impressed at your dedication :D I love mine to bits but don't think I'd have the patience for all that cleaning!

sandra
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I think it doesn't matter if it's one, or one hundred..............you just want to do the best you can for them! :)

How many cat's live with you Mogthecat?

snivelingchild
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
My only recommendation is to either use a special garbage bin for just litter garbage (although this is only convenient when the boxes are in their own room, because of the smell) or composting litter, which is what we do. (Obviously, only if you use a biodegradable litter such as Swheat Scoop or recycled newspaper ones)

We got a doggy doolie system (the super) and it handles all the litter from 5 cats. It doesn't take up much room in the yard, so even if you used 2, it wouldn't be these huge things. You can even put them all the way into the ground so all you see is the lids.

There are some special litter garbage bins for litter that keep the smell in (like a diaper genie thing) and you can use biodegradable liners in those.

mogthecat
Mar 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I think it doesn't matter if it's one, or one hundred..............you just want to do the best you can for them! :)

How many cat's live with you Mogthecat?

2 cats - brother and sister from the same litter. In a way we would like to have more, but ours are so secure and friendly that I think it would really upset/unsettle them if we did.

I think we will get chickens instead! When we have bought our new house I plan to see if I can rehome some battery hens.

sandra
Mar 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
That sounds good............re-homing the battery hens. :)
You're right about cats being usettled if any new cats enter their domain. All the cats who live with me were rescued cats. We originally had 5 and then a lovely feral cat decided that our kitchen was the best place to have her 6 kittens.
We all fell in love with her and her kittens and wanted them to live with us! :)
It took the other cats a while to adjust and I still have to keep one or two of them out of each others way but we get along ok most of the time. :)

treehugga
Mar 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sandra. Here in Australia you can buy really large bags of dog/poultry/horse feed in large durable paper bags as well as plastic at animal feed stores. If you asked your local animal produce store they may be able to let you know of someone who could let you collect the empty large bags for the cat litter. Or put in a cat door so they can let themselves out.

People here carry on about no being able to line their bins for rubbish if they can't collect supermarket plastic bags. Bins can easily be lined with large sheets of newspaper - much like our grandparents did.
We have so little rubbish as we reuse just about everything and I hate plastic. It kills so much marine and birdlife that I think vegans should seriously consider ridding it from their lives altogether.

sandra
Mar 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes Treehugga...............if they made more 'durable' paper bags it would be good.
Snivilingchild has given me some good advice about composting the litter so I'm going to look into that too! :)

Sluggie
Mar 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Newspaper's a good idea for lining bins. I usually re-use plastic packaging for that kind of thing. My bathroom bin gets lined with the wrapping from big packs of toilet roll, I use the linings of cereal packets for wrapping sandwiches in, etc.