PDA

View Full Version : selfishly organic

Andie
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:37 PM
At Books A Million I looked at Organic Style magazine and was disappointed. the cover model was wearing tweed and silk. I know that the magazine wasn't vegan, but "organic folks" would want to avoid cruelty? It frustrates me when people choose organic just for their own health.

Artichoke47
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:40 PM
I know. I subscribed to that magazine and am letting my subscription run out. I can't stand the stupid thing.

Gorilla
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:48 PM
i don't know the magazine (guess it's a US thing) but i subscribe to the Ecologist, and they talk about eating meat and fish when they're supposed to be concerned about the environment. i keep reading it though as it's often very interesting and sometimes pro-veggie at times. many people seem to latch on to one aspect of health or ecology and don't take account of the whole picture, maybe it seems too inconvenient to them. :(

Cyan
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:52 PM
Yes, I actually purchased a copy of Organic Style and it was awful. Ads for "organic" meat and chicken. My favorite: there was a pro/con column for leather and pleather. Under cons for leather, they write "must be cleaned professionally; imported from countries with lax environmental regulations; tannery workers are exposed to carcinogens; animal waste can contaminate groundwater." Nowhere does it say, um, that's somebody else's skin you're wearing. :mad:

Andie
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:58 PM
Obviously I'm not the only one to be disappointed by "Organic Style." It reminds me of "Real Simple," a magazine that tried to capitalize on the simplicity movement by selling expensive stuff (housewares, breazy clothes) that appeared un-cluttered.
I think I've read the Ecologist. If it is the same one I'm thinking of, it has enough other good information to warrant purchasing. Where as Organic Style appeared to just be a vehicle for selling advertising mostly. I'm PMS-ing so please forgive my critical nature today.

Artichoke47
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:33 PM
No, I think any truly organic, environmentally-conscious person would realize that Organic Style magazine isn't worth their money! Do not buy this magazine!!!!

phillip888
Nov 1st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Yah, it bothers me too when corporations jump into a grass roots movement for the sole purpose of profit. They not only go out of their way to change the meaning of the movement to maximize profit, but often turn the people who are part of the real movment into the enemy of the fad/corporate version of the movement effectively destroying the real movement. Not that it's an accident most of the time. I wish there was a bigger PRwatch type movement, one that could address so much of this. The truth is always the enemy of racketeers and their lobbyists.

Roxy
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:52 AM
If it's the same magazine, I picked up a copy of Organic Style in the store here in Canada and put it straight back on the rack when I saw an ad for Oil of Olay. How in any way, shape or form is Proctor and Gamble ORGANIC?

Andie
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM
Roxy,
I beleive it's the same mag. I agree, P and G organic? Sounds like total corporate spin or is that sin ;-)

kriz
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM
I get Organic Style monthly in the mail. I used to enjoy the magazine- but I feel it's now far removed from my interest in animals and nature. You'll find ads for Eukanuba dog food (makes me puke!) and the whole magazine is full of meat recipies. I already paid my subscription for this year, but I'm surely not going for next year.
I picked up the Ecologist at a local bookstore and that's what I call "organic" reading. It is an environmentally conscious magazine adressing REAL issues, not full of fashion and turkey recipies.

Gorilla
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
it's good to hear that the Ecologist is also widely available around the world, not just the UK. it is a good read and the few non-veg*n items are outweighed by the important facts, debates and news.

kriz, can you not cancel your subscription to Organic Life if you no longer enjoy reading it, and tell them why you are doing so. i'm sure they'd be interested in hearing your feedback. ;)

kriz
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
That's what I'll do- let them know what I think with my cancelation of the magazine. Thank you. :mad:

Artichoke47
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I sent this comment to Organic Style editors:

"I have to say that I will not be renewing my Organic Style subscription. I have been disappointed from the first issue. For a magazine that purports to raise environmental concerns and advocate organic, healthy living, I would think all of the recipes would be vegan or at least vegetarian, and I certainly didn't expect to see wool and fur items advertised. Further a surprise was the advertising of non-organic, non-vegan items, such as body care and personal care goods.

I just wanted to write and let you know why I was not renewing. I have talked to a few other people that were also disappointed in your magazine and the cruelty it advocates.

Organic or not, environmentalists don't eat animals or their secretions."

Tigerlily
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Huray for Artichoke! I like that. Nice letter.

I've looked everywhere for a magazine, either vegan, enviromentalist, or organic, etc. Good thing you guys warned me about Organic Style!

Are there any good vegan/organic magazines out there?

Artichoke47
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Yes, there are!

Veg News, www.vegnews.com

Herbivore, www.herbivoreclothing.com

These ones have a lot of just vegetarian recipes but are still good:

Vegetarian Times, www.vegetariantimes.com

Veggie Life, www.veggielife.com

Roxy
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Good on you for voicing your dissatisfaction Artichoke! If enough people were to write letters like that, perhaps they would re-think some of their ideas and campaigns. :)