PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Hummus?

Lorac
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and need some advice. My partner made a great batch of home grown hummus, but it's more than we can eat in a short time. Does anyone know if hummus can be frozen? It is chick peas, eggplant, olives , garlic, bell pepper (all roasted) and ancho chili powder as well as olive oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Roxy
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:56 AM
Where exactly in Texas are you? I think you should have a party and we'll all come and take care of your excess hummus problem :D

Seriously though - I don't know sorry - I've never tried freezing it.

tipsy
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:37 AM
i would think it would mess with the texture...

but maybe not.

try it. thats the best way to know!:D

Korn
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:19 AM
Does anyone know if hummus can be frozen?
I know that some restaurants freeze hummus, so it can be done. Anyhow, Roxy's idea sounds better... :)

sugarmouse
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:48 AM
I freeze hummus often, I think it turns out ok:)

Spud Addict
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:11 PM
I used to freeze hummus. Worked fine. :)

Lorac
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try freezing it this time and see what happens lol. I'll post if anything strange occurs. Roxy, that'd be quite a drive for a hummus party

auntierozzi
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
That hummus sounds interesting. I do hope that it freezes well but in the meantime could you post the recipe please ;-)

Digital Ghost
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
I know I have seen on the packs of shop bought hummus that it says not to freeze, I dont know why as I havent ever tried it.

When I make my own hummus I have frozen it and have eaten it (once unfrozen) - havent died yet.

sugarmouse
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Well chickpeas freeze ok, as does anyting oily or fatty really...I dont see why anyhin strange should happen:)

twinkle
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
My mum often makes a big batch and unfreezes it later. It does change the taste and texture a little bit, I think particularly the garlic flavour changes slightly but it still tastes good. If the texture goes grainy you could always pop it in a blender/foodprocessor again once it's defrosted.

Eclectic Nature
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Umm, Lorac....anyway you could post that awesome sounding recipe!!!
I suddenly have a hummus craving! ;)

Mahk
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just a thought: the "warning do not freeze" label found on packages of store bought might just be warning that the expansion of the water content might explode the plastic container. But I don't really know.

insubordination
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I make and freeze it frequently. I just thaw it in the fridge and give it a good stir. Yours sounds delish. I'm too lazy to go to the effort of char-grilling.